2008-04-21 - Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...

Re: Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Postby Sareth » April 21st, 2008, 2:36 pm

As a guy who's been at the sharp end of the stick, if there is reason to believe they may have deadly intent (Elves KILL Errants, recall), then if I walk away and they don't, it wasn't excessive use of force. It may be illigal by the rules of war, but we can sort that out later, cause, dude, we're living to walk away...

Enjoying though... The REAL question is... will he still be thrilled tomorrow or sickened? THAT'S when you know you have a problem.
User avatar
Sareth
RPG All-Star
 
Posts: 2604
Joined: August 23rd, 2007, 8:54 pm

Re: Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Postby Primarch » April 21st, 2008, 2:53 pm

I disagree that the elves are using non lethal force. They just have only been "successful" in using nonlethal force. Ian from his last encounter knows that the nonlethal force is only a prelude to lethal force. So he can assume that the elves have lethal intent(plus elves kill errants and he is one).
User avatar
Primarch
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 35
Joined: April 9th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Re: Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Postby Kian » April 21st, 2008, 3:54 pm

The non-lethal force is a prelude to interrogation and then killing them off. I don't disagree that the elves plan on eventually killing them. However, the point I was making is that the elves aren't at the 'lethal force' stage yet, but Ian is. A clear case of unnecesary escalation. Escalation is bad for both sides. He already knows he can't bring people back from death, but he's still putting Meji in the line of fire.

And why? To get to Jon, because he somehow thinks that it's only proper manners that he should go look for him after Jon went to the trouble of trying to save Meji. So he's also going to put Jon in the line of fire for no good reason, as Jon could get out just as he got in, and the elves have no reason to keep him. At least until they realise that the greatest danger to their continued existance to date seems to have some association with him, and then they'll get an unhealthy (for Jon) interest in his affairs.

If Ian had any sense left, he'd dial it back a notch instead of finding more amusing ways to kill elves. Right now he's lost sight of his own long term goals (possibly because he is emoing and decided after his sis died that he doesn't have any), and he is making matters worse for himself and every other half-elf in the world. The only way his current course will end in anything good for the half-elves is if he completly exterminates the elves, which is itself just as horrific as what the elves did to themselves and the errants 2 thousand years ago. "They started it" isn't a valid excuse when discussing GENOCIDE!.
Kian
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 88
Joined: August 22nd, 2007, 4:55 pm

Re: Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Postby davester65 » April 21st, 2008, 4:07 pm

How instable Ian is may not be entirely obvious until he runs into a group of civilians. If he kills them out of hand without provocation he's probably gone over the edge. If he ignores them or even goes out of the way to avoid hurting them there may still be hope. I'm not going to make any judgments about how he dealt with the two Elves simply because they were attacking them. The mind blast may simply have been intended to distract Ian and Meji until the two could move in for the kill. They may still have orders to take Meji alive at least (so they can avoid trouble with Tsuiraku), but they needed to at least disable Meji, so the Viriador may have used an area attack type spell.
User avatar
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran
 
Posts: 463
Joined: January 7th, 2008, 6:11 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Postby Maiazuru » April 21st, 2008, 4:30 pm

Kian wrote:"They started it" isn't a valid excuse when discussing GENOCIDE!.


Amen to that. There's no actual justification to what he's doing. This is just stupid bloodthirst.
Maiazuru
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 32
Joined: August 20th, 2007, 10:23 pm

Re: Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Postby BloodHenge » April 21st, 2008, 4:33 pm

Kian wrote:"They started it" isn't a valid excuse when discussing GENOCIDE!.

How about "They started it, and they're not stopping"?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran
 
Posts: 927
Joined: August 20th, 2007, 3:09 am

Re: Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Postby Tiamat » April 21st, 2008, 4:35 pm

Kian wrote:"They started it" isn't a valid excuse when discussing GENOCIDE!.


Truer words have never been spoken.
User avatar
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant
 
Posts: 449
Joined: August 20th, 2007, 7:41 am

Re: Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Postby DaManRando » April 21st, 2008, 4:43 pm

Killing civilians.... Isn't that kinda what he did to Veracia..... or whatever the big human city he destroyed was.... and they weren't even elves.

No I can't really support what Ian is doing here, this is gettin ugly... With Luck Jon will deliver "Ye merry ole BITCHSLAP of attitude adjustment" without getting splattered for his trouble
User avatar
DaManRando
Forum Trainee
 
Posts: 24
Joined: August 27th, 2007, 1:35 pm
Location: Middle-o-Nowhere NE

Re: Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Postby Forrest » April 21st, 2008, 5:24 pm

I predict Meji will die in the crossfire, Ian will go even more ballistic, Tsuiraku will get involved - against the Elves at first, then siding with them against Ian - and Ian will eventually end up falling to the power of ye olde conventional firearms when the anti-magic grenade goes off and Jon is the only one left armed.
User avatar
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!
 
Posts: 954
Joined: August 21st, 2007, 12:49 pm
Location: The Edge of the Earth

Re: Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Postby DarkIntruder » April 21st, 2008, 5:35 pm

DaManRando wrote:Killing civilians.... Isn't that kinda what he did to Veracia..... or whatever the big human city he destroyed was.... and they weren't even elves.


Well, arguably that was an accident. He didn't intend for Luminosita to explode like a tactical nuclear warhead. However, as Paul pointed out, he didn't seem intensely remorceful about it afterwards either.


DaManRando wrote:No I can't really support what Ian is doing here, this is gettin ugly... With Luck Jon will deliver "Ye merry ole BITCHSLAP of attitude adjustment" without getting splattered for his trouble


I somehow doubt that Jon will be able to wrestle Ian to the ground again. Any "attitude adjustment" will either have to be verbal, or quite possibly a bullet to the head.

davester65 wrote:How instable Ian is may not be entirely obvious until he runs into a group of civilians. If he kills them out of hand without provocation he's probably gone over the edge. If he ignores them or even goes out of the way to avoid hurting them there may still be hope.



Agreed. I would also find it interesting if he were to come across a group of non-combatant elves. However, if the city is going into lack-down, most of them will probably be hiding.

Forrest wrote:I predict Meji will die in the crossfire, Ian will go even more ballistic, Tsuiraku will get involved - against the Elves at first, then siding with them against Ian - and Ian will eventually end up falling to the power of ye olde conventional firearms when the anti-magic grenade goes off and Jon is the only one left armed.


Dammit, don't you say that! If Meji dies, I'll go ballistic. I've invested too much hope that she'll actually grow up and become a meaningful contributor to the world to have her up and get killed for no reason.
User avatar
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran
 
Posts: 433
Joined: August 29th, 2007, 8:29 am
Location: Frigid wastes of Southern Ontario

PreviousNext

Return to Errant Story

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests