2008-10-03 Wow, trippy! The house is burning in reverse!

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Re: 2008-10-03 Wow, trippy! The house is burning in reverse!

Post by Slamlander »

Imp-Chan wrote:In the past, I've simply chosen to describe the comic as "Protagonists instead of Good Guys" but that really doesn't say nearly so much as it might. I'd be interested to see why people have been so fond of Jon, Sarine, and even Meji, but hate Ian (whose motives are the closest to selfless we've yet seen).

Please note that I personally have hated Ian since the first time he was introduced, and that was BEFORE I met Poe or knew where this was going. My theory then as now is just that he's too shiny to be likable.

^-^'
As in To good to be real, yeah. No one can identify with that, fer sure.

BTW, I like this month's wallpaper. It's hot!
Oh, and let me know how you like the new ES and EN wiki sidebars.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Slamlander wrote: As in To good to be real, yeah. No one can identify with that, fer sure.
I usually do. I've always liked the artificially perfect characters, or as Trekkies sometimes call them, "puppet" characters, ala Pinochio (e.g. Spock, Data, The Doctor, Seven of Nine, etc)... the characters that are in some ways "too perfect", and in being so, out of touch with humanity. A lot of times I think "lost touch with humanity" is a cheap criticism - humans aren't all so great and could be improved on in many ways - but it is interesting to see "too perfect" characters develop, and see how, in their simple, elegant, flawless "perfection", the lack of certain details and nuances really is a flaw in itself.

Now that's not exactly Ian here, but I still like him because at his core he is an idealistic kid, simplistic and naive idealism being in many ways another example of being "flawless to a fault". He's fucked up a lot, certainly, but I see that as tragedy more than villainy. For another example in those lines, consider Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith. He is the the protagonist, and though he becomes the villain by the end, his fall into darkness is tragic, and so he is also the victim.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Forrest wrote:
Slamlander wrote: As in To good to be real, yeah. No one can identify with that, fer sure.
I usually do. I've always liked the artificially perfect characters, or as Trekkies sometimes call them, "puppet" characters, ala Pinochio (e.g. Spock, Data, The Doctor, Seven of Nine, etc)... the characters that are in some ways "too perfect", and in being so, out of touch with humanity. A lot of times I think "lost touch with humanity" is a cheap criticism - humans aren't all so great and could be improved on in many ways - but it is interesting to see "too perfect" characters develop, and see how, in their simple, elegant, flawless "perfection", the lack of certain details and nuances really is a flaw in itself.

Now that's not exactly Ian here, but I still like him because at his core he is an idealistic kid, simplistic and naive idealism being in many ways another example of being "flawless to a fault". He's fucked up a lot, certainly, but I see that as tragedy more than villainy. For another example in those lines, consider Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith. He is the the protagonist, and though he becomes the villain by the end, his fall into darkness is tragic, and so he is also the victim.
I always hated Anakin (even a bit when he was a kid).

Darth Vader (whom I do not connect to that character) is sweet Christmas stupid fresh with awesome sauce.

By the by, I used to like Ian, but he's too genocidal to be termed 'nice'. He might be idealistic, but he's not a 'good' or 'nice' kid. I'm not saying it's wrong to kill people, but he's got too much blood on his hand. David wasn't allowed to build the temple for the reason that he had shed too much blood.
RobertMontrose
Forum Trainee

Post by RobertMontrose »

It's like logs burning in reverse.
Farewell Second Law of Thermodynamics, we knew thee well.
Because badass action girl is as badass action girl does.