EN and Evangelion

Share the love (well, ok, not literally, that might get messy) for Poe's first big outing into the webcomic world.
emo samurai
Forum Regular

EN and Evangelion

Post by emo samurai »

Jordan - Asuka, cute, vicious, superintelligent girl who at one point DRESSES UP AS ASUKA.
Bush - Shinji/Hikari, docile female friend who sleeps in the same bed as the Asuka expy, same hair as Shinji
Shawn - Kaji, only dude with facial hair, treacherous but complacent organizational man. Could also be a Shinji stand-in, since he's the Asuka expy's designated male companion that EVERYBODY hates, if only for like 3 strips.
Hooper - Gendou, stern administrator with sinister sometimes-opaque glasses, gets killed by the teenage girl he tries to use to bring about world domination
Babylon - Misato, hot older friend who's really good at hand-to-hand fighting, awkward in everyday life and implied to be lonely.
Lukkai
Errant Scholar

Re: EN and Evangelion

Post by Lukkai »

No. Sorry, but absolutely not. Most of these are so badly mismatched, I can't even think of where to start to point the mistakes out. With Bush-Shinji being about the worst misfit.
I'm with SD. We're putting the anal into analysis.
emo samurai
Forum Regular

Post by emo samurai »

I admit Bush/Shinji was a stretch, but Gendou/Hooper, Asuka/Jordan, and Babs/Misato are definitely not.
Lukkai
Errant Scholar

Post by Lukkai »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! FORUM JUST ATE MY POST!!!!!!!!!

Great.

Okay, short version this time:

Bush-Shinji: Similar age, short hair, asian origins. That's where the similarities end.

Asuka-Jordan: Both girl geniuses, yes. But on one side one with mommy issues, inferiority complex that urges her to be the best at everything and center of the general attention (completely breaking apart when she isn't) and brilliance in theoretical skills, but showing no signs of having it in the practical field as well, save for piloting an Evangelion. One with paranoia (highly justified) and a frail mind that comes from her being raised in a lab and only wanting to be a normal person with a slight sidedish of psychopath, brilliance both in theory and actual mechanics and a sexual orientation that is at least bi, if not outright lesbian.

Gendou-Hooper: Some clear differences remain, but enough similarities to make that one count. I'll give you that one.

Kaji-Shawn: Charismatic adult, patient, experienced, likeable guy that never has to rely on threats or harsh words to get his way. Always in the know and in control, even about how he dies. Double/triple/whatever agent, but genuinely cares for some people and sacrifices himself for their good. That's Kaji. Nerdy (the bad kind) teenager, power hungry, arrogant, has probably never left the building. Asshole in general, which clearly shows when he doesn't get what he wants and gets it RIGHT NOW. Only cares for Jordan because of her genes and a chance of getting laid. That's Shawn. Complete misfit. (Misfit with Shinji as well for power hunger, general arrogance and lack of angst.)

Babylon-Misato: One woman strike team, working from the shadows as a mercenary and by now in a happy relationship on the one side, officer in a leadership position and spotlight official that outside her job interacts with more beer cans per day than people a year on the other.

You've hit 1 out of 5 with this. While that's better than what I said at first, it's still quite a clear miss in my book.
emo samurai
Forum Regular

Post by emo samurai »

I'd like your take on good vs. bad nerdy.

Also, I think she's still a good Asuka expy, while her skills are definitely superior, her setup, that of a teenage girl exploited for the gain of a global conspiracy, certainly is similar. And while Babs certainly has a good boyfriend, she's still shown to be lonely/ashamed, much like Misato herself. Also, they're both extremely brave while in the line of work and at the same time often self-deprecating, a somewhat odd combination.
Lukkai
Errant Scholar

Post by Lukkai »

emo samurai wrote:Also, I think she's still a good Asuka expy, while her skills are definitely superior, her setup, that of a teenage girl exploited for the gain of a global conspiracy, certainly is similar. And while Babs certainly has a good boyfriend, she's still shown to be lonely/ashamed, much like Misato herself. Also, they're both extremely brave while in the line of work and at the same time often self-deprecating, a somewhat odd combination.
The setup is similar to some part (though it would seem that Asuka took part in the whole thing out of her own free will, if we leave Gendous private agenda out of it of course). But there's also vast differences in the kind of conspiracy, the goals, the players. That with the aforementioned differences still makes it a misfit imho. Not a complete misfit but still.
Same goes for Babylon/Misato. There are some similarities, certainly that they're both action girls of the truest sort. But still too many differences, not only in their typical modus operandi. Though it admittedly is a bit difficult to judge Babylon, since we haven't seen that much of her, all in all.

Oh, good vs. bad nerdy: Nerd in a bad kind of way would be along the lines of shut-in, antisocial, believing he can grasp the world through what he sees on his screen alone, arrogant for his great skills, paying not enough attention to selfs appearance and/or physical state... Generally a conglomerate of the bad sides of both the cliché image of and actual RL nerds. Shawn of course doesn't fulfill all of these, but a surprisingly good part of them.
jhonsmith
One Post Wonder

Post by jhonsmith »

Hello dear inferiority complex that urges her to be the best at everything and center of the general attention (completely breaking apart when she isn't) and brilliance in theoretical skills, but showing no signs of having it in the practical field as well, save for piloting an Evangelion. One with paranoia (highly justified) and a frail mind that comes from her being raised in a lab and only wanting to be a normal person with a slight sidedish of psychopath, brilliance both in theory and actual mechanics and a sexual orientation that is at least bi, if not outright lesbian....!!! :catgirl:
motorcycle gear motorcycle gear
mariasam
New Poster

Post by mariasam »

Interestingly enough, the last state the site was in was the WALRUS-powered version built by yours truly, so is hasn't been the same as the one you're longing for for years now. :lol:
practice asvab practice asvab
RegalSin
New Poster

Post by RegalSin »

Hooper is not taken from Evangelion in my opinion but another comics. I will give you an clue..that comic about the guy who is trapped in an house with three doable women but never makes any moves. I am an not talking about "Threes Company" but you can get that drift of what I am getting at.

Jordan is just older from her tomboy-kiddie "Babylon Jones" self. In my opinion. I mean yeah duh "Bleh American" and all. She also have dimples and those freckles marks on her face ( from time to time ). Jordan is an typical American, Mid-western, Amish, etc girl.......In fact Jordan is an complete opposite to Asuka, and is colored differently.

Bimbos Parents- obviously are corrupted and low-lives. The fact that they mention Italian-Japanese which brings us to the idea of Mafia and Post WW2 families that was shoved out of their homes. Simular theme with many foreign women.

Asuka is an big loud mouth who thinks speaking English makes her an Eisenstein, and she is their for one purpose and one purpose alone. To share an room with Shinji and to drive the mecha.