Wiki upgrade starts!

Rules, announcements, suggestions, elections, and all the other fun things that make our forums tick.
LordofNightmares
Forum Regular

Re: Wiki upgrade starts!

Post by LordofNightmares »

thank you <3.
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin
Twitter @: kaitou_

Post by kaitou »

Round two starts this morning. I'll post followups as I complete them.
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin

Post by kaitou »

OK, The Heretic Knowledge Vault has been updated to 1.10.4. Moving on to EN.

... and EN is now done. More perturbations, tomorrow; so, stay tuned.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

One little problem that I notice: most of the images are still in limbo. Links to their sites (usually Imageshack) appear and work, but the images themselves aren't visible.

Possibly the preferred solution to this, as long as we're controlling usernames, is simply to turn on the ability to upload images directly into the wiki, and move them from Imageshack to here. There may be advantages to doing that from an IP perspective anyway. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't even play one on TV, but it seems to me that there can't be IP issues on re-using parts of an actual comic on the wiki, as long as the owner of the wiki (Poe and Impy) asserts the same IP ownership as is applicable for the comic itself. This is in contrast to some other webcomic wikis where there are IP questions about fragments of comics appearing, usually glossed over by the assertion that excerpting the comic in small pieces for "research" or "review" purposes is consistent with copyright law. That may well be true -- it doesn't seem to have been challenged successfully, anyway -- but keeping the IP "all in the family" seems smoother.

Of course there would need to be some policies controlling uploading of non-comic images to the wiki (for example, no copyrighted material from outside CAS except for snippets meeting the "review" criteria), but I think that's a tractable problem.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Part of the reason for the upgrade was the image switchover, as well as re-enabling users to create themselves following certain protections.

As for the IP concern, we are willing for copyrighted CAS images (which would be all of them) to be used or modified for use in our copyrighted CAS wikis provided they are hosted there as well. I see no reason whatsoever to limit that use.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin

Post by kaitou »

In fact, I had temporarily enabled user uploads to fix the monk image on page 1. Sounds like we can at least enable that.

I'm starting the EN upgrade, now. ES coming shortly after.

---

... and we're done.

(Watcha mean? I can't submit another post that soon after the last? Just because I work too fast...)
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin

Post by kaitou »

Regarding the "re-enabling users to create themselves," I've been looking into some captcha schemes, and stumbled across this one today: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20081005.

On a more serious note, one that I have looked at that has a certain appeal is reCaptcha.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

I sort of like the "Kitten Finder" style bot-eliminators. Especially one we could program with ES characters, so it's like "CLick on the 3 characters NOT in ES" and have pictures of Ralph, Fran, and... I dunno... Jordan.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

I don't have strong feelings here about the "right" solution, but Slamlander and I spent many tens of hours (and quite possibly hundreds of hours, when all was said and done) blocking spambots at the time of the last attack. I really don't want to do that again. There must be some restriction on username creation, or sooner or later, we're going to wind up screwed.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
LordofNightmares
Forum Regular

Post by LordofNightmares »

I know what you mean, I dont want to hear about p**is enlargement while in the rp unless it is something or some one in the game Role Playing it out.