Thoughts on the current state of the USA?

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Thoughts on the current state of the USA?

Post by Imp-Chan »

So... things after the election are going more or less exactly as I predicted, only slower. Sometimes it'd be nice to be wrong.

Anyone have any big or small thoughts on what the US is in for in coming months?
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Re: Thoughts on the current state of the USA?

Post by Forrest »

My neck of the country has been blissfully quiet (besides overhearing one guy with a "This Is Trump Country" sign on his lawn shouting the N-word a bunch from inside his house while I was on a walk the day after the election).

My girlfriend's parents actually lost internet access for about a week and when we spoke to them a few days ago they had no idea what had been going on at the Capitol etc. So if it weren't for national news, nobody around here would have noticed a thing.

I was laughing through tears at the absurdity on the 6th, whereas I usually only have calm opinions about political news. It was a tragic farce that perfectly epitomized the entire Trump presidency.

I'm expecting more violence to come in the next week or so, but I'm also expecting a positive outcome on the whole in the long run.

First of all I have hope that some actual decent relief for the tanking economy might come about now that fucking Mitch is on his way out.

Longer term this Trumpist/Qanon insanity seems poised to tear apart the Republican party. If that happens, and the Democrats have no real competition, I foresee an eventual split in that party into a corporatist side and a progressive side. I expect the corporatist side to absorb many of whatever remains of the semi-sane half of the Republicans, and quite possible the progressive side to absorb some of the less-crazy parts of the Trumpist mob, the parts who are rightfully pissed about "business as usual" and hungry for a revolution, but not completely sold on the racist/sexist/etc aspects (though obviously they're okay enough with them to tolerate the others who are all about those things). The sorts of people who wanted to vote Bernie in 2016 and then switched to Trump when Hillary got the Democratic nomination.

And the cooperation of off-duty police and ex-military in the Capitol raid seems to have finally driven home even to the centrist white people that those institutions have been infiltrated by the worst parts of America and are in need of serious reform. So I have some hope on that front, too.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"State of the USA" is kind of a weird concept at the moment (obligatory ES reference: Sarine, of course) because there are such enormous local, state and regional variations in the way things are playing out, not always in the ways one might expect. It's hard enough in normal times for someone living in a small town in the mountains of New Mexico, as we do, to get a sense of what things are really like in Washington or Los Angeles or even a similarly small town in Alabama or Nebraska or Maine, or vice versa. With the Covid-caused difficulties in traveling, it's even more so now. Neither news networks nor social media really resolve that; how can either give a sense of the way neighbors look at each other, or of altered sleep patterns (not just one's own) because of anxiety, or the lack of it, among people in those physically or socially distant places?

I was mentioning to my wife the other day that I thought there was about a 5% chance that Biden is going to get assassinated, or at least face a serious attempt on his life, in the near future. That may sound high, but keep in mind that we've had 45 presidents to date, of whom 4 have been assassinated and several more came close, and do the math. The difference now is the "near future" part -- that, and the real possibility that the attempt would be concurrent with one against Harris. That really is in unprecedented territory, and may it ever remain so.

It'll be very interesting to revisit your inquiry after 12:01 p.m. EST next Wednesday, Impy.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Incidentally, to include in this thread a bit of the kind of black humor that made Poe famous, here's a wee bit from a friend's Facebook feed (for non-USA readers, Kevin Greeson was one of the casualties of the riot, nominally due to a heart attack, but at least in urban legend, precipitated by the event described here):
THE BALLAD OF KEVIN GREESON
by John Phillip Sunseri II

All hail our hero, our warrior true,
Our fallen companion, our martyr, our rock,
Who stormed through the Capitol fighting for YOU,
Then tasered himself in the cock.

(He tasered himself in the cock, o' my Lord
As patriots swept through the halls,
He fought for his country, he fought for his Trump,
Then tasered himself in the balls.)

The name Kevin Greeson will live on forever
In annals of glory and in hallowed cloisters,
He fought with his comrades this noble endeavor,
Then blasted himself in the oysters.

(He blasted himself in the oysters, my God,
And now sits supreme as our totem;
He died as he lived, and he lived as he died,
With fire ablaze in his scrotum.)

The libtards and cucks and the Deep State and sheeple
Are cowering now with deep fear in their bones,
And the name of Kevin Greeson, the Thor of his people
Who tasered himself in his stones.

(He tasered himself in his stones while he tried
To plunder some loot like the rest of his lads;
They roared through the Capitol, God on their side,
Then he shot all those volts through his nads.)

We will never forget, and the world will remember
When Trump brings the Storm, and the VVhite nation frolics ,
The name Kevin Greeson, the ultimate hero
Who tasered himself in the bollocks!

- with thanks to Jayne English
I think this could be set, with minor changes to accommodate different meter, to the immoral Tom Lehrer's great(?) "The Irish Ballad," which can be ... experienced ... in its original version, performed by the master himself, here. In fact, I'm quite amazed that no one has yet put up a YouTube video of this, as of when I write. If I could play the piano and sing at the same time, I'd be sorely tempted. I can't, fortunately.

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

So six months later, I don't think this topic is a dead issue yet, or OBE, or even reduced to theater of the absurd. It just feels like we're waiting for the next shoe to drop. How do others, particularly outside the US of A, feel about that?

dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

There was some kind of Trump rally in my town this morning. I was out buying some stuff and noticed about 20-30 people on the side of the street holding up their old Trump 2020 banners and a hand drawn Gadsden flag. A few women were holding signs saying that trans women are just men. Pretty trashy looking crowd from what I was able to see.

Edit: I talked to a few people and found out what this was about. Local shop owner is a jerk and one of our council members got trolled by his anti-trans poster. Worst people in town came to his defense.