Anime that Doesn't Suck

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Ruriko
One Post Wonder

Re: Anime that Doesn't Suck

Post by Ruriko »

Soul Eater doesn't suck
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Found an amusing review suggesting that Labrat finally got to script an anime series . . .
Here's what happens in the first episode of Queen's Blade, which is apparently based on a roleplaying game in Japan:

A blonde chick is strolling along a medieval highway when she's intercepted by some sort of a cutsey demon girl wearing a ridiculous pink outfit whose hair turns into hands and the hands cover her giant breasts. They start fighting, since the blonde girl is apparently someone important; the breast-holding hair-hands squeeze said breasts, which shoot acid from her nipples as a primary means of attack. The blonde's clothes get dissolved (and then she's mostly naked for pretty much the rest of the episode), but she's saved in due time by another woman, a rogue “bandit” named Risty, (who also has huge breasts and a skimpy outfit) and then some angel-cherub girl shows up and briefly explains how this is all part of the Queen's Blade tournament, where 12 women fight it out to become the new Queen. Queen of what? Not sure. Don't care.

So the blonde, Leina, turns out to be the escaped sister of some cruel matriarch who, along with Leina's creepy twin sister, keeps her captive in a castle out in the middle of a lake. They apparently put a bounty on her head, hence why Risty was after her in the first place. They imprison Risty, who of course breaks out, steals some iconic armor from the castle's treasury, and gives it to Leina before that demon girl with the acid-shooting boobs shows up again and pretty much wrecks the place. Leina defeats her by mashing her own breasts into the demon girl's nipples mid-acid-squirt, which I guess isn't something the demon girl has great control over because it forces her to overflow, and she expands like a hot air balloon before exploding all over the place in a gooey, acidic mess.

Oh, and the main character, Leina, graphically pisses herself twice in just this one episode. That seemed worth mentioning.

This is an actual show that is airing on cable TV right now in Japan.
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I think I'll skip it. Not enough breasts.
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

Yeah, i'm pretty sure that series at best belongs on the "sucks but we love anyway" list, probably right next to Sekirei and Rosario + Vampire. And that's only for those that live and breathe fanservice. Maybe it belongs on a third list "Anime that will make your sanity bleed" though i'd probably invoke a considerable amount of fanboy rage as i think Evangelion belongs at the top of that list.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Re: Boss' latest post.

What... the... fuck.

That is all.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Drannin wrote:Re: Boss' latest post.

What... the... fuck.

That is all.
Why, yes, of course. Japanese TV is even weirder than you thought it was.

Then, there is the opposite of the breast fetish . . .

I just got through reading the complete Gunslinger Girl manga online. Heavy, heavy stuff, some of the best writing you will find in Manga and one of the best anime series you'll ever see. But, even in work of that quality, writing about European characters, the lolicon trope sneaks in: the conviction that all normal adult males find undeveloped 11 and 12 year-old girls sexy, and talk casually among themselves about the subject. Stands out even more when the male characters are Italian. I'll suspend my disbelief over girl cyborgs, but an Italian who prefers Pippi Longstocking to Sophia Loren? Get real!
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Well, it's somewhat believable in Petra's case. But then, she's 16 and actually has boobs, so...
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Sareth wrote:Well, it's somewhat believable in Petra's case. But then, she's 16 and actually has boobs, so...
Yeah, stunned me when they actually gave her age. A street-legal 16 year-old in a manga? Is this a sign of the apocalypse?
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Beats me. I just know I feel less guilty oggling her than Triella.

What? Why are you all looking at me like that?
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Sareth wrote:Beats me. I just know I feel less guilty oggling her than Triella.

What? Why are you all looking at me like that?
Let's face it. Manga females are made for the express purpose of ogling. Just remember that they're artificial characters, and the guilt goes away.

...Now they're looking at me. Dammit.