"Libertarian Science Fiction" (sic)

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

"Libertarian Science Fiction" (sic)

Post by Graybeard »

I was amused to note that a recent edit of the Wikipedia article on Errant Story (here) now includes it in "Category:Libertarian Science Fiction". Setting aside for the moment the fact that we're talking fantasy here, not science fiction, am I the only one who finds this rather goofy? Farrelian culture is arguably libertarian in some ways, but that's only a small part of the story, and I'm not totally sure the description applies even there. The ways of Wikipedia can be strange indeed...

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Re: "Libertarian Science Fiction" (sic)

Post by Alberich »

Graybeard wrote:Setting aside for the moment the fact that we're talking fantasy here, not science fiction, am I the only one who finds this rather goofy?
No, you're not. It's silly. There are some political tensions in the comic, but the ones I see don't line up with any current political controversies. This is a good thing. There are plenty of other places to go for that.

The tensions I have in mind are strategic arguments -- Paul vs. Anita on "How do we respond to the destruction of Luminosita?" - Sarine vs. the Council on "How do we respond to Ian?" - and if you treat Ian as a world power all to himself, Meji vs. Ian on "How do we respond to these elves that want us all dead?" I suppose you could try to line up some of the parties' views and argue who's more conservative, whig, forward-school imperialist, or whatever, but to quote Blackadder III, this would be "like fitting wheels to a tomato. Time-consuming and completely pointless."

The government of Farrel, like a great deal else in the Poe-verse (and the world of Bone and the world of Cerebus and I'm sure plenty of comix epics I don't know)...is one of those things that works better if you don't think about it too much.