A Moment of Silence...

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

A Moment of Silence...

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Impy, Poe, and I had a really neat discussion a couple weeks ago, celebrating and remembering our favorite webcomics of yesteryear that had been finished, abandoned, or just slipped through the cracks of the internets for whatever reason.

To them, our fallen ancestors, I dedicate this starter thread: A place to celebrate the dead, not to mourn their passing but to remember why we cared in the first place.

I'll go first:
Return To Sender: It had a great premise, and the artwork, while simplistic in it's three color scheme (Black, white, and a soft blue), was absolutely beautiful in a modern art sort of way.

Wrench Farm: The history behind this one's a little dark, so I'll warn you ahead of time... I met Michael Buonauro during my webcomic days while I was trying to forge some alliances with other comics, and we talked a few times in a generally positive tone about me doing some crossover work for/with him. He was one of the only people out there who didn't recoil in abject horror when they found out I used sprites. He'd been the force behind three decently popular webcomics (Wrench Farm was my personal favorite... Gamer Girls and Dr. Lobster were the other two) and was working on a comic book that was generating some positive buzz.

Unfortunately, despite his relative online success, he had some real-life personal problems that lead to him committing a fairly public suicide the day after his 25th birthday, complete with some very morbid livejorunal and website posts indicating his imminent death. His death hit me really hard, as he was a) one of the only people who'd been nice to me and my crappy little webcomic, b) about the same age as I was, and c) he was doing a whole hell of a lot better than I perceived myself doing at the time... and he killed himself. It was because of him that "Jim The Viking" abruptly stopped the summer of 2004 and didn't resume in ernest until a year and a half later, without me at the helm. The link, as you may have noticed, doesn't actually lead to Wrench Farm (wrenchfarm.com now a placeholder), but I bet it's still out there somewhere in the ether if you really want to find it.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Re: A Moment of Silence...

Post by Imp-Chan »

My first webcomic was Acid Reflux. My sister got me started on it, she kept taking up extra time on the computer we shared to giggle over it. After I started reading it, I did the same. The concept of God as a child loose within Her big sister's universe was an amusing one, and even though it did spend an awful lot of time on a stupid Fight Club parody which was probably the beginning of the end, I still miss reading it even YEARS after it just... stopped. It was a damn fun comic.
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
OmnipotentEntity
New Poster

Post by OmnipotentEntity »

A comic that I miss terribly and wish the artist would come back to is ghost2138.

Great art. Interesting story. Full universe. Blatantly political humor.
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

I greatly miss Life of Riley.

Granted by the time it finally died, it not only had Fonzie jumping over a shark, but the shark itself was jumping over a raped, time traveling humpback whale who had just won the lottery after being lit on fir,e being held up by scrappy Doo and the second Darren at the same time.
DeadKennedy
New Poster

Post by DeadKennedy »

The Life of Riley: Ended before it could truly get weird. To this day I still want to know what happens :cry:
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Viking-Sensei wrote:I'll go first:
Return To Sender: It had a great premise, and the artwork, while simplistic in it's three color scheme (Black, white, and a soft blue), was absolutely beautiful in a modern art sort of way.

Funnily enough, the day after you posted this he put out a news update saying, basically: "Yeah, it was nice while it lasted, but I just can't really finish it. Sorry!"
Vavrek
Errant Scholar

Post by Vavrek »

Force Monkeys.

Probably not too well know outside certain circles on a handful of GameSpy forums, back in the day. I found out about it because the two creators, Ghandaiah and Kaigen (or Sam and Sean, as they are known in legal documents and on that website) were two prominent members of the Planet Deus Ex community. Well, Ghand was, Kaigen was just a writer for the website.

The original idea was simple. A quick sketch of a Jedi slipping on a banana peel. It developed, as webcomics do, until it was a mad stream of consciousness flow. The kind where either you're that kind of Weird Person mentally and you love it or it's just too weird, on the wrong frequency, or otherwise simply not for you. It was my first webcomic, and I'm always a little sad that they never made The Indomitable Mr. Stick, a proposed second project.
Stick & String
Forum Regular

Post by Stick & String »

Krazy Larry
Author started a new comic : Ugly Hill and was just not able to keep both going. 'Larry' was actuall y dead for a while, then resurected for the new color format, host site and so on, and retelling of the origins, but, spit happens I guess. In the meantime he (the author) has just had a new child and life goes on. Maybe one day he will have the time and money to go back and finish the storylines.
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

I'll throw out Inverloch. Though that's of an end of a story so the creator is on to his next one with Phoenix Requiem so i'm not sure it exactly counts.

What's the stance on near death/undeath? Since i know a few webcomics i really liked until they just seemed to disappear into a nearly never updating status, but still having the occasional irregular update (see Van Von Hunter, or The Whogirl)
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Let's see... Dead comics?

Schoolbooks and Brimstone (last updated in 2005)

Life of Riley (mentioned above)

Fusion D (OK, so maybe it wasn't that great... I still would've like to find out what was going on.)

Fallen (hasn't updated in a year)

Winter (hasn't updated in over three years)