Anime that sucks but we love anyway

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Joe Milino
Forum Trainee

Re: Anime that sucks but we love anyway

Post by Joe Milino »

Mm, there's a couple mentioned before, but ya gotta love Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.
Umm, I know some others, but I'm drawing a blank.

I d'no if the first two even qualify as sucking. . .
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are awesome. As far as I can tell, anyone who thinks they suck just doesn't like fun or excitement.
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

Yeah, I finally got around to watching Cowboy Bebop and there is just no way i could put a suck tag on it.
Suzuka
New Poster

Post by Suzuka »

Kaibutsu Oujo(Monster Princess, I think someone mentioned it already), it's crappy and generic but something in it made me rewatch it 2nd time.
Gintama - utter garbage, but somewhow I made it to ep 15.

Shows I consider below garbage and unwatchable below this line*-------------------------
is anything named Naruto after Zabuza saga.
Bleach - too freaking long.
Inuyasha - 1st 50 eps are tolerable, after that is just nonsense.

There is many more too mention but too lazy atm.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

Suzuka wrote: Bleach - too freaking long.
My problem with Bleach is there's just too damn much filler. It would be a great series if they'd just stick to the basic storyline. Of course if they did that they would have finished the whole Soul Society arch in about 12 episodes instead of the 56 or so it took them. :roll:
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

There's also the issue of overtaking the manga. When that happens, you have the option of running filler episodes (or even arcs) created from whole cloth by the anime writers, taking the plot in an entirely different direction (and probably wrapping up the story entirely well before the manga ends), or going on hiatus (and risk losing viewers).
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

davester65 wrote:
Suzuka wrote: Bleach - too freaking long.
My problem with Bleach is there's just too damn much filler. It would be a great series if they'd just stick to the basic storyline. Of course if they did that they would have finished the whole Soul Society arch in about 12 episodes instead of the 56 or so it took them. :roll:
BloodHenge wrote:There's also the issue of overtaking the manga. When that happens, you have the option of running filler episodes (or even arcs) created from whole cloth by the anime writers, taking the plot in an entirely different direction (and probably wrapping up the story entirely well before the manga ends), or going on hiatus (and risk losing viewers).
The current bleach fillers are on because the show literally ran the fuck out of manga. There were only 7 or so published chapters past the last produced non-filler episode, and the average episode takes 2-3 manga chapters. They had nothing left to make a show about. And it shows.

On the other hand, they could have pulled a FMA and ended the show really early in the manga in order to bypass all of these problems. That was a good idea.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Or they could, I don't know, actually come up with some decent ideas on their own. It doesn't have to be drivel... its just that the dumb bastards have absolutely no originality whatsoever and are lost without the manga's rancid teat.

I'm telling you. This forum could sit down for three consecutive nights and write up a season's worth of script and basic storyboard. And it would be brilliant. But these bastards literally go to school to have the originality squeezed out of their hopeless noggins.

I like Bleach. It has some awesome moments. But then it has those nightmarish moments where you sit back and realize that you have been watching a reverse-gender Magical Girl series for a couple of seasons and didn't even know it.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Labrat wrote:I'm telling you. This forum could sit down for three consecutive nights and write up a season's worth of script and basic storyboard. And it would be brilliant.
I'd be game. What, figure on 26 episodes for a normal anime series... I think this could be a fun writing challenge. We pick a series that ended prematurely, and we extend it... not like writing out crappy fanfic, more like structuring the plot and blocking out the episodes and arcs so that the series *COULD* continue without it's source manga.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Labrat wrote:I like Bleach. It has some awesome moments. But then it has those nightmarish moments where you sit back and realize that you have been watching a reverse-gender Magical Girl series for a couple of seasons and didn't even know it.
You know, I hadn't even though of it like that. Despite the fact that I've watched all three seasons of "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha", which is essentially a giant robot series in disguise (and a rather flimsy one in StrikerS).