Anime that sucks but we love anyway

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Re: Anime that sucks but we love anyway

Post by zanntos »

Sekirei, interesting idea smothered my fanservice. I can't keep up with this series properly because i goes WAY beyond what i'm willing to watch while coding at work, so i only watch it at home when i remember.
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

So... Zero no Tsukaima Season 3, I'm torn about the direction it's going in because while it's going pretty heavy on the fanservice (ok A LOT heavy) i'm not sure it's out of character from the books. Saito is a bit of a overly horny jerk, but quiet frankly it rings a bit truer than the typical Harem set up where the guy has no interest in the hoards of females throwing themselves at him. My office mate is more annoyed about the fact that Saito MARRIED Loise at the end of season 2 and that's not really being talked about, though i think that's deliberate background fuel/justification for their interactions this season.

I think i need to just go back to the books at this point as Baka-Tsuki gets them translated because Fanservice is a bit easier to filter in text format. But the i don't think that they are deviating much from the books with the fanservice, and that's a bit sad that the series is decaying to this. I'm PRAYING that it's just Rosario Vampire effect, good series being murdered by fanservice choked Anime. This years Anime so far is a WHOLE lot of fanservice pieces with a few decent things thrown in so far. Come on Fall Season please don't suck too.
Kerostasis
Forum Trainee

Post by Kerostasis »

I really liked Mai Hime as a series. The last few episodes had some really powerful emotions, although the ending kinda dulled the impact a bit with the magical "everythings ok again".

And then...they made Mai Otome. That's one I can nominate for "anime that sucks but we love anyway". They took a dozen or so characters from the original series, transplanted them to another planet where the original series never happened, invented an entirely new way for them to be magical girls, and mixed them together with a confusing plot that left a number of unexplained loose ends. It had good music though...
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

I saw the first MaiHime, but was so turned off by the annoying girl with the food-fetish and the stupid sailor uniform that they find on the cruiseship that I bought a sequel but haven't watched it yet.

The destructions were so wonderful.

The original is the only one I've dumped in the rubbish only to rescue it out. *sigh* glassing a hill...

BloodHenge wrote:
Labrat wrote:I like Bleach. It has some awesome moments. But then it has those nightmarish moments where you sit back and realize that you have been watching a reverse-gender Magical Girl series for a couple of seasons and didn't even know it.
You know, I hadn't even though of it like that. Despite the fact that I've watched all three seasons of "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha", which is essentially a giant robot series in disguise (and a rather flimsy one in StrikerS).
I'd felt the first one, but that's a beautiful perspective on Lyrical Nanoha which I haven't watched, but somewhat much wanted to.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Itterind wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:...which is essentially a giant robot series in disguise (and a rather flimsy one in StrikerS).
I'd felt the first one, but that's a beautiful perspective on Lyrical Nanoha which I haven't watched, but somewhat much wanted to.
I haven't watched StrikerS yet, but I've seen videos... one of the characters is a direct homage to GaoGaiGar... she even has a G-Stone. Someone did a video on YouTube where they took the GGG sounds and re-ordered her transformation sequence so it matches up to the sounds-and-sequence of GaoGaiGar's FINAL TRANSFORMATION. It's beautiful.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

I know, a friend showed it to me, it's wonderful.

Did you see the Microsoft Windows/Neon Genesis Evangelion parody? (Spoiler for direction:
Spoiler: show
The one where Bill gets the cake in the end and looks like Shinji!
) It's freaking hilarious, we disturbed up to two-three rows of LAN PCs. ;)
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Here's two, actually... first up is GaoGaiGar's opening sequence, done entirely with footage from StrikerS. Then, there's Subaru's transformation, with the GGG theme music and timing... and finally, Subaru uses Broken Phantom.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Has anyone done an anime in which the magical girl cranks up one of these ridiculously long transformation scenes, and right in the middle of it, her opponent puts a bullet in her head?

Actually, I'd settle for one in which a bystander catches her on video during the clothing-optional phase and posts the nude shot on the Internet.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Beats me, but I pulled the gag in an RP I was in once. I inherrited a Magical Girl (long story) once. She started her transformation sequence to defeat an automated sentry... and just as the last stitch of clothing poofed the sentry nailed her with a rocket. She survived (she's tough) but she had to conduct the fight without ever having finished the transformation, which pissed her off no end.

Other players cheered, as they thought that it was about time SOMEONE was genre savvy enough to shoot the magical girl during the sequence.

Now, something similar that makes me laugh and IS in an Anime is in Black Lagoon. Revy, confronted by a gigantic neo-nazi with a gun stands there, a bored look on her face as the man begins monologuing. Part of the way through the monologue, she tells him "Shut the fuck up" and puts a bullet between his eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQSBm5A ... re=related
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

YES, that was great. But then i'm a bit of a fanboy for the that series.
Size of the gun doesn't matter, all that matters is you hit what you aim at :p

I love how she has time to casually reload her gun while the guy is talking and he doesn't even notice.
Manga for Black Lagoon is coming out at this point so i'm buying those, though i've already read fansubs quiet a bit farther than it goes at the moment.