The pathfinder rpg

Home of Viking's Infamous "Three Things" Challenge and some other games likely to make the baby Lord Naughtius cry.
DatDude
Errant Scholar

The pathfinder rpg

Post by DatDude »

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

I've been trying to talk my gaming group into this for a while. Has anyone played it? I'm interested to hear how it works in practice.
The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death however mutable man may be able to make them our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. Stanley Kubrick
Disciple of Sakura
Forum Trainee

Re: The pathfinder rpg

Post by Disciple of Sakura »

I've played it. I own it. It plays much like D&D 3.5, but with some extra streamlining, some new toys, and it does feel a bit more powerful for the PCs. Our party did wind up at a level I'm not terribly used to, so that might color my perceptions, but we did seem to be overall more deadly than 3.5 characters might have been. Still, it was a lot of fun, and it's the system I'll be running in the future, along with most of the people I play with in the area.

I've got some issues with it - while combat maneuvers were cleared up, they wound up being a little difficult to pull off unless you're a really dedicated focus. My recommendation would be reducing the CMD calculation by a certain amount to make them more appealing options. I'll be houseruling skills a bit, too, but I was doing that in 3.5 anyway.

All in all, I recommend it. The ruleset is available online, so you don't have to shell out the cash for the book or even the heavily discounted PDF if you'd rather take a gander before it buying it.