Three Things - Round 1 - Winner: Graybeard

Home of Viking's Infamous "Three Things" Challenge and some other games likely to make the baby Lord Naughtius cry.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Re: Three Things - Round 1

Post by Viking-Sensei »

WARNING...

30 MINUTES REMAIN.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
finalcarrot
Forum Regular

Post by finalcarrot »

A nerf football, a small drill, and itching powder.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

(Blows whistle)

Alright, that's a wrap... good game, everyone. I'll go through and tally who had the most posts, add a few bonus modifiers, and should be able to identify a clear winner some time before the 2000 Election Results are in.
finalcarrot
Forum Regular

Post by finalcarrot »

Shit, I accidentally voted for Buchanan. The ballot was confusing, what with names and all.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

And the results are in. It was a tough battle with a lot of good participants. Since this game took on a different form than the 'live' version usually takes (as that one's as much about memory as it is creativity), I had to invent a whole new scoring system for it. Here's how I wound up grading them:

Items were graded on a scale of 0-3 for originality and compatibility with their set:
0 - Conceptually Dead (Already used by someone else, or simply does not belong in set)
1 - Not Yet Dead (Obvious choice or general class of item already used to death)
2 - I Got Better (Uncommon item, used well with the other items in the set)
3 - I Feel Happy (Unique nifty item of goodness, works incredibly well with set)

In addition to this, I also awarded points (Also graded 0-3) for Overall Theme:
0 - Whut? (I couldn't figure out what story you were telling me, or obviously random set)
1 - Hmmm... (Filled me with an undefined sense of uneasyness)
2 - Oh! (I see where you're going with this, and I likes it!)
3 - Eek!! (I see where you're going, and I'm never going grocery shopping with you. Evar.)

Conditional Modifiers were 1 point bonuses added to posts due to a) Them being in the bonus round but not going to the mountain or b) The 3-point system not being able to hold my joy/horror/confusion over the post.

Due to the nature of this contest, I've decided to recognize four categories of excellence:

(Drumroll, plz)

Frequent Shopper
For Excellence in Coming Back Time and Again: With a total of 14 sets of items submitted for a grand total of 73 item based points, our winner is FinalCarrot! 2nd Place was Viking-Sensei (Me) with 7 sets for 34 points, and 3rd was Weirdonian with 6 sets for 36 points.

Value Shopper
For Excellence in Wasting Not, Wanting Not: With an average point ranking of 6 points per post, we have a 3-way tie... the winners are Graybeard, Seth, and Weirdonian!

Smart Shopper
For Excellence in Cutting Those Coupons: With an average theme point ranking of 2.75 across 4 posts, our winner is Graybeard! 2nd Place was Seth with 2 points across 1 post, and 3rd was GhostInTheShell with 1.5 points across 2 posts.

And now the Grand Champion...

SUPER SHOPPER
Master and Commander of the Checkout Lane: After careful consideration and review of the contest metrics, one person's numbers clearly stood out in almost all categories. The game's not just about having the most sets, but also having the best sets, and this person's choices time and again provided an excellent example of this concept. Each of the sets not only were well put together, but the story they told was consistantly horrifying and sure enough to send any 80-year-old counter jockey to an early retirement and exemplifies the "true spirit" of Three Things.

Receiving an average point-per-post count of 9.25, the by-and-away clear winner of round one is...

Graybeard

As grand champion of this contest, Graybeard is eligible to recieve a Custom Rank of his choosing, valid for 1 year (assuming I remember to reset it to default in 1 year's time). His name shall also be etched on the highest peak of the land (the topic post), a memorial forever to the brave and honorable battle he fought here.

Thank you all for playing.

NEXT: With Halloween coming fast upon us, I am declaring that the next Three Things challenge will begin October 1st. The store's been restocked (item reusage penalty reset to zero) and is now equipped with an overstock of Halloween costumes, decorations, back to school supplies, and of course festive seasonal gourds. New contest will run thru October 31st, and the prize will be even bigger (Possibly 1024x768 or 1280x1024) the next time.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Viking-Sensei wrote:As grand champion of this contest, Graybeard is eligible to recieve a Custom Rank of his choosing, valid for 1 year (assuming I remember to reset it to default in 1 year's time). His name shall also be etched on the highest peak of the land (the topic post), a memorial forever to the brave and honorable battle he fought here.
Thanks -- I think. :| Truthfully, I think there were other entries that were much more diabolically subtle, which is a good thing -- allegedly.

I'm actually perfectly happy with the rank of Heretic Monk, but "A Not-So-Beautiful Mind" will do in a pinch.