"Adopt a character" in Errant Road

Home of Viking's Infamous "Three Things" Challenge and some other games likely to make the baby Lord Naughtius cry.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

"Adopt a character" in Errant Road

Post by Graybeard »

Just doing a bit of advertising here: There's a character who's been introduced to Errant Road as an NPC, who might be highly entertaining for a newcomer to the game to "adopt" as a player character. It's "Brother Timothy," introduced here and currently becoming smitten with player character Desiree (who, I must say, is an easy character to become smitten with...). If anyone has an interest in joining the game, but doesn't feel positioned to develop a character from scratch (new players and characters are always welcome), young Bro' Tim might be an easy way to ease yourself into things. His basic concept is developed in that thread, but there's still plenty of room to put your own distinctive stamp on him; let's discuss.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Re: "Adopt a character" in Errant Road

Post by Alberich »

I'm actually expecting to be in the same place for a couple of years - I can't promise daily posts but am interested in trying it out. I haven't played or followed ER. What would I need to read to get up to speed and do it right?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Alberich wrote:I'm actually expecting to be in the same place for a couple of years - I can't promise daily posts but am interested in trying it out. I haven't played or followed ER. What would I need to read to get up to speed and do it right?
Great! I'll be in touch via private message when I get home from work.

In a nutshell, the basic "rules" of the game can be found here and here. Much of the stuff about character generation can be glossed over if you do choose to adopt "Brother Timothy," the character who's available. More about him via private message. An advantage of taking this guy is that because of who he is (a young Luminositan priest) and where he's being introduced (a small town in the boonies of Veracia), it isn't necessary to read the literally thousands of pages of backstory and previous threads to get him integrated. Looking at the currently active thread (here) will both give a sense of the context, and also provide a pretty good idea of what the other characters are like. Again, more on that in the private message.

Incidentally, interested participants are always free to join, creating and playing whatever characters fit the "story," using one's own imagination to make it happen. The circumstances here are unusual in that Brother Timothy is at least partially pre-defined. It doesn't have to be that way.

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

I've never used PM's here before - I didn't see one from you and when I tried to send one, it didn't stay under "sent items" - but I did read the rules and a big chunk of the thread, so I am looking forward to hearing from you and getting started!
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Alberich wrote:I've never used PM's here before - I didn't see one from you and when I tried to send one, it didn't stay under "sent items" - but I did read the rules and a big chunk of the thread, so I am looking forward to hearing from you and getting started!
Haven't sent it yet, will do so momentarily, have been too busy celebrating the improbable way this baseball season ended... :D