Errant Story Mafia!

Home of Viking's Infamous "Three Things" Challenge and some other games likely to make the baby Lord Naughtius cry.
Shteven
Forum Regular

Re: Errant Story Mafia!

Post by Shteven »

Looks like 7 may be it. I'll start randomizing some roles tommorow and I'll start the thread if we don't have any more signups. Anyone who wants to play after that can either replace someone who needs to, or wait for game 2, if there's interest.
Vavrek
Errant Scholar

Post by Vavrek »

So, just to be damn clear about things, the idea is to substitute the normal roles of Mafia (Mafioso, Townie, Cop, etc.) with characters from Errant Story, because we're bored and it would be fun? I think, somehow, I missed that on my first read through. (I just like the concept of Mafia.)

I'm sure I could come up with more detailed questions to ask regarding the hows and the whats and the heys, but I'm just as sure that any of the questions I would bring up will be answered in due time anyway.
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Make that 8! Damn, thought I'd replied to this already but apparently I fail at life.
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

Vavrek wrote:So, just to be damn clear about things, the idea is to substitute the normal roles of Mafia (Mafioso, Townie, Cop, etc.) with characters from Errant Story, because we're bored and it would be fun? I think, somehow, I missed that on my first read through. (I just like the concept of Mafia.)

I'm sure I could come up with more detailed questions to ask regarding the hows and the whats and the heys, but I'm just as sure that any of the questions I would bring up will be answered in due time anyway.
It's more of a combination than a replacement. IE, You are Bani - a cop. You have both a name (from errant story) and a job (a typical mafia role). While I am trying to keep the flavors matching somewhat, it's also important to not make it incredibly obvious who the bad guys are. Of course, the bad guys can always lie about their role, but it may be dangerous if you're caught.
Tiamat wrote:Make that 8! Damn, thought I'd replied to this already but apparently I fail at life.
I'll give it another day or two then, but you may end up being the first replacement if need be ;) I expect to have the thread open by monday - either on friday or over the weekend.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

One thing I'm not quite clear on: Who kills first, the Mafia or the townies? The reason I ask is because if the Mafia kills first then someone's out of the game without getting to participate, but before that happens the townies don't have a reason to kill anyone. Or are we starting with the Mafia killing a character without a player?
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

Both versions of the game exist, day start or night starts. Smaller games are typically day start, so everyone does get at least one day of living in. There are usually no meaningful deaths at the start of the game - you could always mention some redshirt NPC's death as a reason for people to start talking about lynching each other, but it probably wouldn't be that helpful. The mod could give clues if they wanted to, but I like to let players try to make their own (mis)information.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

So, we literally have 24 hours to complete a "day"?

I trust nights aren't any longer?

(See, I didn't have a clear idea of what you were planning to do as far as pacing...)
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

no, game 'days' can last quite a bit longer. They're usually around 2-3 weeks actually. Generally as long as people are still talking at a good rate, I would let it go as long as it takes to get someone to 4 votes. If discussion slows down, I'd probably set a deadline and at the end of that period it would only require 3 votes to lynch someone. Nights are also not one night, but typically only about 1-3 real days. People just have to submit their night choices.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Okay. It's just that when you said it was the end of the first day, I wasn't sure if you were talking about game days, 24-hour periods, or both.
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

And thus does the first man die! So long, Zanntos.

And I kept wanting to say this after all the mispellings, and since I'm posting anyway I may as well get it over with: wasn't Zannatos the bad guy from Gargoyles?