Errant Story Mafia - Game Over! Scum wins!

Home of Viking's Infamous "Three Things" Challenge and some other games likely to make the baby Lord Naughtius cry.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: Errant Story Mafia - Game on!

Post by BloodHenge »

The more I think of it, the more brilliant I realize it would've been to choose not to kill anyone last night. If an innocent had died, there would be a 1/3 chance of randomly killing the surviving mafioso today instead of the 1/4 chance we currently have. And either way, if he survived, he'd be able to end it tonight.

As for people lying about their roles... I feel confident that the remaining mafioso is lying. For one thing, Gabriel was pretending to be a Veracian clergymen, possibly Patriarch Jeramel himself-- about as far as the leader of the Gewehr Wraiths as it's possible to get. For another, I can't think of a reason either Bani or Ian would have to throw in with him. (And neither do Riley or I.)

Now, if Sareth is only pretending to be Ian, then pretending to be the Doctor as well is pretty clever, not only reducing his chances of being randomly lynched but also throwing suspicion off himself. On the other hand, just how far ahead was he thinking? He introduced himself on the first day. Plus, he was only the third to do so, leaving at least two innocents with the possibility of refuting him if they acually happened to be Ian, while DarkIntruder was the last to claim an identity. But on the gripping hand, Vavrek did start acting like Jeramel with three people still unintroduced, which would've left at least one innocent to refute him. But then, he never actually claimed to be Jeramel himself; DarkIntruder was the only one to put a name on him. As far as anyone knew for sure, he could've been any random Veracian priest or nun, or at least anyone present at the destruction of Luminosita. Which couldn't have been refuted, because if anyone claimed to be one particular Veracian clergyman, Vavrek/Gabriel could've claimed to be a different one.

Plus, DarkIntruder is the only one to "bring the hammer down" so far.

So I'm going to move my Finger of Suspicion to my shotgun trigger and Vote: DarkIntruder.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Well, it appears that my time is short on this earth. Pleading for my life will do no good, and attempt to shift blame onto anyone would only further erode my defense.
But then, he never actually claimed to be Jeramel himself; DarkIntruder was the only one to put a name on him. As far as anyone knew for sure, he could've been any random Veracian priest or nun, or at least anyone present at the destruction of Luminosita.
Yes, you're right, he never said who he was. However, I was acting on the premise that the roles would mostly be either major or minor characters. Not anonymous priests/henchmen.
Sareth wrote: I'm afraid I'm going to have to take this as further evidence that the remaining mafioso (DarkIntruder) is attempting to off the one person the remaining townies know is safe.
Ahh, you say you are the doctor, but how do we know that? Everyone of us could be lying through our teeth, myself included.

So, would you care to finally state your reasoning for protecting Leah/Bloodhenge? I'm slightly surprised that you wouldn't have protected yourself, seeing as how Vavrek was gunning for you all along, and that there was still a mafia goon at large.

Again, I'm not going to point fingers. I'd just like to get everything out in the open. You may lynch me if you wish.
But can you really take the chance that you might lynch an innocent? If you're wrong, and I am innocent, then you've lost. I cannot defend myself anymore.

I can only profess my innocence, and await Impy's judgement. If it's my time to die, then so be it. I face the gallows at peace with myself and I forgive all of you. Can you do the same?
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

Day 3 vote count:

DarkIntruder: 2 (Sareth, Bloodhenge)

Not voting: Imp-Chan, DarkIntruder.

3 to lynch. Also, I've actually gone and updated the first post as I meant to do all along. Making pretty lists is good for you!
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Since people seem to have dropped off for a bit, I'll pose this to Ian/Sareth again.
DarkIntruder wrote:
Sareth wrote: I'm afraid I'm going to have to take this as further evidence that the remaining mafioso (DarkIntruder) is attempting to off the one person the remaining townies know is safe.
Ahh, you say you are the doctor, but how do we know that? Everyone of us could be lying through our teeth, myself included.

So, would you care to finally state your reasoning for protecting Leah/Bloodhenge? I'm slightly surprised that you wouldn't have protected yourself, seeing as how Vavrek was gunning for you all along, and that there was still a mafia goon at large.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Am I allowed to protected myself? I wasn't aware I was.

I chose Leah/Bloodhenge because of that whole voice of reason thing. Everyone else seemed to be intent on lynching folk!
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

I'm afraid I don't really have any more arguments to make, except for the fact that the chance of randomly having "couples" is presumably independent of the assignment of "power roles", and that having two "power roles" to oppose the two Mafia members strikes me as appealing symmetry.

I know that whoever winds up lynched, there's a risk that it'll be an innocent. However, if the day ends without a lynching, the remaining Mafioso could either murder one of the townsfolk who's not under heavy suspicion, or simply skip another night and prolong the stalemate. In this case, making a mistake may be better than delaying the inevitable.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I've thought about it, and since I have to make SOME kind of choice, and as Imp-Chan I've never liked or trusted Ian ever...

VOTE: Sareth/Ian

Sorry, but I don't really have a good reason aside from a general distrust of people with way too much power. I hope I'm not wrong.

-_-'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Oh, thankyouthankyouthankyou.... *kisses Impy's feet*

It would appear that in order to save my own skin from an almost certain hanging, I am forced to make it a tie.

I VOTE: Sareth.

Now it's getting interesting.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

What if I offered cookies?

Seriously, the only thing I can offer to change your vote, Impy, is to point out the known Mafioso was determined to get me lynched. I can find no sense in him orchestrating so determined a public campeign against me if I was his sole ally. I can claim I am the doctor, but I can't prove it. Vavrek's efforts are publically visible. But if that is not convincing, so be it. I'll just levitate in the noose.

:lol:

Bloodhenge, your comments make sense to me. I've been contending that the maffioso attempted to kill you, and I prevented that, but now I have a different thought. If the maffioso had struck last night, and succeeded, there would have been a 33% chance of being lynched today. But as it stands, it's a 25% chance. Better odds. We lynch the wrong person today, then the maffioso can kill someone tonight, and on the morrow we have one maffioso, one towny. The mafia win that way. No... this is better.

Except for one thing. If the Mafioso succeeds in getting a towny lynched today, then tonight, there is a fifty fifty chance the mafioso's attempt to kill one of the two townies will fail. Because the town doctor will be protecting one of the two, and the mafioso has to successfully guess which one of the two it was.

Unless the doctor is the one lynched by the townies today...

I'm still retaining my previous vote for now, but I begin to wonder if the reason Vavrek's persecution of me hasn't swayed Impy is that Impy knows something the rest of us does not...

Bloodhenge? Please, pick holes in my logic and tell me I'm voting the wrong way? You're the only one I trust in this bunch.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

The only reason I can think of for the late mafioso to have campaigned against you is the same reason for the surviving mafioso to have helped lynch him: To allay suspicion. But it seems like a pretty elaborate way to have done it.

Does anyone find it odd that Riley and I haven't come under any more suspicion than we have?