Errant Story Mafia - Game Over! Scum wins!

Home of Viking's Infamous "Three Things" Challenge and some other games likely to make the baby Lord Naughtius cry.
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Re: Errant Story Mafia - Game on!

Post by Tiamat »

I could do it, since I'm supposed to be the replacement for anyone who goes missing anyway >_>;

In the meantime, I may not have mod powers to lock the thread, but I can count. Three out of five votes for Vavrek = a lynched Vavrek.

Votes for Vavrek:
Imp-Chan
Sareth
DarkIntruder

Abstained/Didn't vote in time:
Vavrek
Bloodhenge

Vavrek is dead! I'll let him tell you whether he was scum or not, because I don't have a copy of who's who.

If Shteven comes back by tonight at midnight, mafia can send your votes to him. If not, I guess send them to whoever we decide to make the new mod for the game?
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

I'm here, I'm here. Do not panic. Sorry about not checking in yesterday, I didn't think we'd see a lynch Thursday. Vavrek lynched.

Vavrek(3): Sareth, Imp-Chan, Dark-Intruder

No other votes.

Congratulations town, Vavrek was scum. And more specifically - Gabriel.

For reference:
http://errantstory.com/wiki/index.php/Gabriel

It is now night 2 - please send in night actions. With only one mafia left the night doesn't need to be very long - I won't set an explicit deadline but the sooner they're in the sooner I can open it. Nights have a minimum of 24 hours length, however.
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

Alright alright, I'm going to slightly bend the rules because I intend to pass out and sleep through as much of tommorow as possible - so I'll open the thread a bit early! Happiness ensues!

And everyone's really, really happy...because no one died last night! Imagine that!

With 4 alive, it will be 3 to lynch. Sorry, majorities just work like that. It should be mentioned you are allowed to vote for "No lynch" and a majority (3) of these votes will end the day without a kill. If 3 can't be reached in a reasonable amount of time I may deadline it which will only require 2 votes to lynch. I'm used to slower games where reasonable amounts of time means 3-4 weeks but here it would probably be about 12 seconds.../cough.

Go get 'em!
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Well hrm.

No one died? Well, this is interesting.

If you all recall correctly, the doctor is able to protect one person from the mafia. It is possible that this is what happened, and it was successful. HOWEVER, it is also possible that the mafia person chose not to off anyone last night in the hopes that we will lynch another townie today, thus allowing him or her to off one of the two remaining townies and thus create an equal number of townies and mafia (thus meeting the victory conditions.)

The question is, which of the two occured?

Well, to complicate things a bit, I'm going to reveal my hand and state that I am the doctor! I just can't help myself. I like to help poor suffering people like my sister. And last night I protected Bloodhenge/Leah, because she's a fellow half elf who used to cough up blood before I went all doctory on her ass helped her health issues. So by one of those two theories, I successfully protected her from either Impy/Riley or Darkintruder/Bani.

This gets complicated though. Because Bloodhenge/Leah is the only one of us survivors who did not vote against Vavrek/Gabriel, who we know was a Mafioso. So if the surviving mafioso did attempt to kill Bloodhenge/Leah, then that same person helped to lynch his/her own fellow mobster!

Was Vavrek/Gabriel made a victim in order to allay suspicions? If so, then I'd like to point out that Dark Intruder/Bani lowered the boom (cast the final vote) on both Zanntos/Jon and Vavrek/Gabriel. It is possible that DarkIntruder/Bani took advantage of the voting against Zannatos/Jon to put the final vote in to eliminate a towny, followed that by bumping off the town local constable, Viking/Sarine, with the assistance of Vavrek/Gabriel. Then, seeing the strength of attack against Vavrek/Gabriel, covered his own tracks by putting the final nail in Vavrek's coffin lest he be seen as being the only one to NOT lynch who we were about to reveal as a mafioso. He then tried to take out the voice of reason, Bloodhenge/Leah, but failed owing to my fortuitious intervention.

Further evidence? He also tended to echo Vavrek's accusations against me, though always with meer fingers of suspicion rather than outright votes. Concerted action, perhaps?

But this all hinges on you believing me when I say I was the doctor and protected Bloodhenge/Leah.

So let's look at our other suspects.

Me: Well, the serious effort on the part of the known mafioso to eliminate me should show who's side I am on!

Impy/Riley: She was very consistant in her suspicions of Vavrek/Gabriel. If she was the other mafioso, then she was constantly risking killing her sole ally through her efforts to cover herself, rather than killing off her ally only when he was already a hairsbredth from death.

Bloodhenge/Leah: May well have been defending herself from suspicion by being the sole voice of reason. She has refrained from the lynchings since the first one proved to be a mistake. But this same strategy left fate very much out of her hands when the mafia need to carefully control things to their ends. Plus, if she was the mafioso, why did she not kill someone off last night? Was she hoping her moderation would lead us to lynch one Impy/Riley or Darkintruder/Bani and thus even the odds for her?

Because it is possible Bloodhenge/Leah may be playing a waiting game, I can't yet vote for lynching Darkintruder/Bani. However,

Finger of Suspicion: Darkintruder/Bani
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Well, I'm afraid my options are rather limited. I can only attempt to explain my actions. I voted for Jon, quite frankly, because I wanted to move the game along. I haven't played before, and I had no idea of how fast things were supposed to move. I'm getting a better idea of it now.

As to why I suspected you, Vavrek's arguements made sense, at the time. It was his big speech that did everything but apologize that got me. Also the fact that he only turned against Riley/Impy when his back was against the wall. Which was why I voted for him.

Now, we only have your word that you Ian/Sareth are the doctor. However, I have no reason to doubt you. However is it possible that you defended the wrong person? Perhaps Leah/Bloodhenge was the mafia, but decided not to act.

My other suspicion stems from the fact that Vavrek was not who he said he was. Now, that could go for anyone of us. Frankly, I mostly ignored my role, since I have no idea how Bani would act. But I would like to point out... isn't it slighty odd that we would have two sets of partners? Riley/Leah and Sarine/Jon. With the group being so small, the odds seem against it happening. Bloodhenge also seems to be selling his role too, what with the avatar change and the subtle acting. Who knows?

I'm not prepared at this time to point any fingers and call anyone out. I just think that we should explore every possibility.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

I'll admit, I panicked when I saw the lynching yesterday. I knew that the innocents only barely had a majority over the mafia. Since I hadn't voted, I thought we were all doomed.

Honestly, I was planning to vote for him myself. And when I saw he'd been lynched, I thought I'd only been spared making horrible mistake by having someone else make it first. I was half surprised to wake up this morning.

How can it be explained that one mafioso voted to lynch the other one? What could he gain? My guess is that the survivor planned to gain our confidence by stabbing his partner in the back. It would help throw off suspicion, especially if his partner was drawing a lot of attention anyway. That's the best reason I can think of.

As for what happened last night, I can think of two possibilities. Either Ian's telling the truth and he really did watch over me last night-- which, once again, is vaguely creepy even if I am grateful-- or the mafioso decided to take the night off in order to confuse us even more. The second case is pretty risky, unless Ian is himself the surviving mafioso and is backing up his cover with his claim of protecting me.

However, Ian makes a good case about Bani's voting record, while Bani's argument mostly looks like ass-covering conjecture. Furthermore, it seems unlikely that a trained battlemage couldn't do something about this situation besides joining a lynch mob-- a lynch mob that, I may point out, has a relatively poor track record for accuracy. So, as I would've done yesterday if I'd gotten a chance to vote before the lynching was carried out, I'm pointing my Finger of Suspicion: DarkIntruder.

(As for "selling" my role... I like roleplaying, and I like Leah. I didn't want to go out and declare my role to begin with, but I thought it'd be fun to drop hints.)
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I don't know who to vote for now, I'm scared we'll lynch an innocent. I was pretty sure about Vavrek, but now it could be any one of the rest of you.

IF Bloodhenge is really Leah, then it is unlikely Bloodhenge is a mafioso, since Leah and Riley would almost certainly have been assigned matching roles. One mafioso we know is dead, and we know there were two to start with, so it is highly unlikely that either Leah or I is a mafioso.

However, IF Bloodhenge is NOT really Leah, then Bloodhenge comes under strong suspicion. Lying about the role would automatically be a pretty good indicator of mafiosohood.

That leaves DarkIntruder and Sareth. While I am perfectly willing to believe that Sareth is Ian, I find myself utterly unconvinced that Ian didn't do it. The notion of Ian as the doctor, while in keeping with the character in theory, I feel is rather unlikely at this time. However, I'm also unconvinced that Ian did it.

DarkIntruder I have not yet formed an opinion about. I am so far more suspicious of Bloodhenge and Sareth.

So, I'm confused. I don't want to lynch an innocent person (in no small part because that drastically increases the likelihood that I'll be dying soon), and I don't know how to tell who are the innocents and who is the mafioso. I think I'll just abstain from judgement for right now. I'm not voting or fingering anyone.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Imp-Chan wrote:The notion of Ian as the doctor, while in keeping with the character in theory, I feel is rather unlikely at this time.

This is what gets me. What are the odds that we had a cop and a doctor, and two sets of matching characters in a game with only 7 players, when everything was supposedly random?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

DarkIntruder wrote:
Imp-Chan wrote:The notion of Ian as the doctor, while in keeping with the character in theory, I feel is rather unlikely at this time.

This is what gets me. What are the odds that we had a cop and a doctor, and two sets of matching characters in a game with only 7 players, when everything was supposedly random?
Right, this is the main hole I see in Ian's story.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

All I shall say in my defence is, if I am the remaining Mafioso, why was Vavrek so intent on getting you all to lynch me?

DarkIntruder seems to be basing a judgement against me on something external to my control... the fact we had a sheriff and a vigilante and a doctor in spite of how small a group we started with. Not on my previous arguments or efforts, but on the odds we'd have all those roles.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take this as further evidence that the remaining mafioso (DarkIntruder) is attempting to off the one person the remaining townies know is safe.

Vote: DarkIntruder