Errant Story Mafia - Game Over! Scum wins!

Home of Viking's Infamous "Three Things" Challenge and some other games likely to make the baby Lord Naughtius cry.
Shteven
Forum Regular

Errant Story Mafia - Game Over! Scum wins!

Post by Shteven »

Welcome to errant story mafia! This is the official game thread, where the game will be played.

Player list:

Still mostly alive: (1/7) All confirmed.
7. DarkIntruder (Mafia, survived)

Almost certainly dead: (6/7)
3. zanntos (Townie, lynched day 1)
2. Viking-Sensei (Cop, killed night 1)
5. Vavrek (Mafia, lynched day 2)
6. Sareth (Doctor, lynched day 3)
1. Imp-Chan (Townie, end gamed)
4. BloodHenge (Townie, end gamed)

Replacements (as needed)
1. Tiamat

I have sent out role PM's. Roles were randomly matched to players. Please confirm that you read your role PM by posting a confirmation in this thread. Once all players have confirmed, the game can begin. If you have any questions about your PM or the game in general, feel free to PM me. After this post I'll make a post with rules, and then a post with some tips.
Last edited by Shteven on April 9th, 2008, 12:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Shteven
Forum Regular

Re: Errant Story Mafia - Game on!

Post by Shteven »

* Rules *

1) Do not discuss the game outside of this thread unless your role permits you to, and then only when your role allows it. This is usually not too hard to follow, although if you know other players in real life, it can be tempting. Do not post during the 'night' phases of the game (the mafia may PM each other during this phase).

2) Votes for other players must be bolded and in the format "Vote: Shteven". You may only vote for one player at a time, and it is recommended that you Unvote before voting another player. I will count the new vote if you do not unvote, as my compassion knows no bounds. Also, I'm fairly sure unvote isn't a word.

3) Do not quote your role PM. Obviously, you're allowed to say what your role name is, what your 'job' is, etc. Just don't copy the exact language from a large part of the role. Certain parts of PM's may be very similar, and would be too revealing.

4) Do not edit your posts. Please make use of the preview function - but an important aspect of the forum version of this game is that it produces a written record. This can be looked back on, and used as evidence.

5) Achieving a lynch is done when a player has reached a strict majority of possible votes. In other words, with 7 players, it will take 4 players to lynch someone. It is possible that I may set a deadline in the event of stalled discussion, in which case it becomes possible to lynch with only a majority of a majority, aka 3 votes.

Some of the below rules were stolen from MM who stole them from Mr. Flay who probably stole them from somewhere else. Let's hear it for not reinventing the wheel!

6) Nights will last up to 72 hours, but may be shorter if all night choices are in before the deadline.

7) Dead men tell no tales. If you get killed, stop talking until the game is over. Everyone (even non-players) is welcome to comment about the game after the game ends.

8) Any action which would be illegal to actually do is also illegal to fake (for example, posting a made-up PM that shows a Cop result of guilty/innocent).

Official Setup Information
Newbie games are generally semi-open. This means that most of the role information is told to you beforehand, but not all. This is mostly done by giving all of the details but leaving a few things up to random chance, i.e. dice rolls for the number of power roles given to the town.

This setup was a bit more hand selected, but I'll pretend I rolled and tell you the setup was this:

There are two mafia members.
There are five town members.

Amongst the town, the following power roles may or may not exist:
There are 0 or 1 cops.
There are 0 or 1 vigilantes.
There are 0 or 1 doctors.
There are 0 or 1 role-blockers.
There are between 1 and 5 townies.
Last edited by Shteven on March 14th, 2008, 3:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

Role confirmed, good to go.
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

*game tips*

- Day one usually starts with some random voting - players cast votes for reasons such as "I'm jealous of your avatar" or "Your name is hard to pronounce" etc. It's basically an ice-breaker. You certainly don't have to do it, but you do need to start posting something, so get to it.

- You may "FOS" a player. FOS stands for "finger of suspicion" and it's used when you want to put some formal indication that you are suspicious of player without actually voting for them. You may not yet think they deserve a vote, or you could already be voting someone else and be unable to vote for both. FOS's have no actual game mechanics behind them, they are just a tool to express your doubt on other players.

- Some common terms which you might find useful in play:
FOS - Finger of suspicion - Relisted from above.
EBWOP - Edit by way of post. Since you can't actually edit posts, make a new post to clarify what you meant before.
OMGUS - Oh my god you suck. Not to be too offensive, this generally means when player A attacks player B for the reason that player B attacked player A. Usually considered poor play (yet I still do it all the time) - Try to understand that attacks on your role aren't meant to be personal. Some of you really are scum. Most players consider OMGUS behavior to be a sign the offending player (player A) is mafia. Your mileage may vary.
Hammer - To place the final vote on a player and cause them be to lynched.
Wagon/Band wagon - A player who has a lot of votes on them, or someone who is attempting to get a lot of votes on a player. Used in many different phrases, such as "I'm willing to join the Shteven bandwagon as he looks like scum to me", or "I think Glork is scummy because he's blatantly band wagoning Shteven!"
L-1, L-2, etc. Shorthand for how far away someone is from a lynch. L-1 Would mean one vote away, and for day 1 in this game, that means they have 3 votes on them. Putting someone at L-1 is a very risky move. A mafia member (or a townie) could easily hammer the wagon and end the day.

Update 1
Additional terms: Town/pro-town: Generic term for anyone who wins with the town. A town player may be a townie, or a power role. Easily mixed with townie, be careful of mistakes. Pro-town is a bit more distinct.
lylo: Short for Lynch or Lose. Explained below.

Some analysis on how long the game will last in terms of game mechanics:
The mafia have two members. So the town can win in two days by lynching correctly twice in a row.

The mafia can also win in two days, however: lynch a town day 1, night kill a town role, and repeat both for day 2. That leaves 1 town role and 2 mafia left - the mafia automatically win because a single town role cannot reach a majority to lynch the mafia members. If the endgame situation was 2 town roles and 2 mafia (say a doctor prevented a night kill), it would still be an automatic mafia win.

The game will go to a third day if one lynch is a town role and the other lynch is a mafia role. In any of these cases, when you are on the last day, it is refered to as "lylo" which is short for Lynch or Lose. In lylo, you should be very careful about voting. If it's 3 town players and 2 mafia members, and player A (who is town) suspects player B is scum, he could end the game prematurely. If player B is really town, all that the mafia have to do is both vote before player A removes the vote and they will lynch, ending the game. For this reason, most players will FOS in Lylo until they are certain or feel the day has lasted long enough to make a choice.

(More may be added later, at any time)
Last edited by Shteven on March 14th, 2008, 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Confirmed.
Vavrek
Errant Scholar

Post by Vavrek »

Role confirmed. Thanks for the game tips.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Red Five standing b...

Oh, sorry. Wrong fandom. I'm ready. Thanks!
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

I've got my role, and I'm pleased that it's a character I like.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Still a smidgen confused, but I'm in. (goes off for further research)
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Yup, got mine.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.