Errant Story Role Play?

Home of Viking's Infamous "Three Things" Challenge and some other games likely to make the baby Lord Naughtius cry.
Vavrek
Errant Scholar

Re: Errant Story Role Play?

Post by Vavrek »

DarkIntruder wrote: Also, in order to keep people in the game, would it be possible for a player whose character has died to rejoin with a new character? Or does that just cheapen life in the game?
I would say that forbidding a person from coming back with another character is the kind of rules-laden jackassery we'd all like to avoid. If our goal here is a good story, or an entertaining game experience, we shouldn't kick out somebody who chose to let their character die. They may, for instance, be the kind of person who can understand the premises of 'the greater good', and may have sacrificed their character for story purposes.

On a vaguely related note, I'm now pondering how to work in an RP where every post I make introduces and kills off a character. They have *some* affect on what's going on, so that my role in the game isn't just to be purposeless... but every post, introduce somebody, then kill 'em off somehow right after. Somehow. Maybe have fellow party members comment about how they keep meeting redshirts along the yellow brick road.
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

On a not entirely unrelated note, that sounds like the HBO show six feet under. Of course that made sense being a show about a funeral home, so you might have a bit more trouble finding redshirts, but at least it shows that it's possible to tell interesting stories in the deaths of somewhat random people.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Bumpity. :shock:

Don't want this to be forgotten.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I'm kind of hanging back, waiting to see if it gets a final stamp of approval. I'm hoping it does.

But on that note, what sort of starting situation would people want to see?
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Like in D&D, we should maybe all have a quest which unites us... we don't all have to want to go on it for the same end reasons, allowing for a multitude of character types to all be united in a single goal (roughly) and also allowing for a decent amount of backstabbity action when we do accomplish said goal. Secondary undertone stories will naturally evolve out of this, and in time it'll grow into a full-on branching rpg of many many stories going on at once, but it's a good place to start.

I have a campaign setting to suggest... take it or leave it... this would be set a year before ES proper (the bits with Meji) starts. That way, all the different locales that have been destroyed in ES still remain... mostly... and there's little-to-no chance of running into/over any of the main characters and hurting the timeline. Oh, we might encounter a still-working-for-the-Wraith Jon or a wandering Leia and RIley, but the meeting wouldn't have any lasting impact on the overall stoyline. Also, we could always state that the RPG exists in a divergent universe, a parallel timeline where most details are the same up to a point, allowing for overlap and redundancy between ours and the main universe without there being any negation or paradoxes.

As to plot... someone of our group would be a Tsuirakan student also working on their final project... but instead of insane demigod power quests, this poor soul wants to be a cartographer and to perform an accurate geological survey of the main continent... including all the bits that travel gates don't take you to. So they head to the port city, the in-between world that's neither Farrell nor Tsuiraku, looking to hire a party to be their guides.

Then, from the start, we have as potential characters: a bored tsuirakan who decides to come along with his/her friend to see the world, an aspiring trader looking for "the next big thing" that might not already exist on market in Tsuiraku, a really really lost Veracian looking for safety in numbers on their return trip home (who also strongly distrusts travel gates), helpful Farellians offering to be guides, unhelpful Farellians offering to be guides, a time monk spy looking for camouflage on their return home, or just about anything else you can think of.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Viking-Sensei wrote:Like in D&D, we should maybe all have a quest which unites us... we don't all have to want to go on it for the same end reasons, allowing for a multitude of character types to all be united in a single goal (roughly) and also allowing for a decent amount of backstabbity action when we do accomplish said goal. Secondary undertone stories will naturally evolve out of this, and in time it'll grow into a full-on branching rpg of many many stories going on at once, but it's a good place to start.
Right, that sounds reasonable. Or, if enough people joined, (don't know how many are interested), we could have two groups starting in different places, and have them meet at some unknown point in the future. Say, one in Saus, and one in Isabel (largest city in Farrel)

That would also serve to allow members of rival factions (Gewehrs and Ensigerum) to have some time to mess around before they end up meeting each other, and most likely fighting to the death.
Viking-Sensei wrote:As to plot... someone of our group would be a Tsuirakan student also working on their final project... but instead of insane demigod power quests, this poor soul wants to be a cartographer and to perform an accurate geological survey of the main continent... including all the bits that travel gates don't take you to. So they head to the port city, the in-between world that's neither Farrell nor Tsuiraku, looking to hire a party to be their guides.

Heh, that was actually my first thought for a character. Except mine would be writing an archaeological term paper on the Dwarves, and their disappearance. Thus this would allow us to explore much of the Northern Confederacy, and any Dwarven ruins.

The only downside would be that we don't actually know anything about Poe's Dwarves, or how they disappeared. Thus, anything we found, did, or saw would be speculation.

Your idea is probably better.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I checked, and yes I can out write terms that say people will agree to let CAS change the terms as we feel it's needed, rather than immediately paying the lawyer to write out the most thorough legal mumbo jumbo stuff.

I will get started on some prototype TOS, but so long as everyone agrees that CAS gets to set the terms of use as needed, you can start a game whenever.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

Outstanding, thanks Impy
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

(If this thing go thru, I'll play one of those octopus familiar for a pretty female student, with aldult mode availiable, of course :P 8-) :mrgreen: )
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Sounds great! I'm dead exhausted, but I'll start thinking up some character idea. May go with some loli looking girl working on her final project in magic school, which she must pass with an A or she'll flunk. Think that might be original enough?