October Photo Scavenger Hunt!

Home of Viking's Infamous "Three Things" Challenge and some other games likely to make the baby Lord Naughtius cry.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

October Photo Scavenger Hunt!

Post by Imp-Chan »

While driving down to Dragon*Con, our little team found a number of, well, strange things. Several stops in, we were still snapping pictures and giggling over random, commonplace items that when put into a mutual context were just plain funny. If only, we thought, there were some way to share this hilarity and fun with others!

It was then that an idea was born... why not hold some sort of strange, random item contest for the forums, a sort of virtual scavenger hunt? And so, after much consideration about how to make it fair and fun for all, we enabled image posting on the games board, and I sat down to write this.

The Rules:

This is a scavenger hunt, and a large part of the point of most scavenger hunts is to prove that you really found the item. Obviously, since this is a virtual hunt, that means virtual proof in the form of a photo. Yet... photos are easy to find online, and half the fun of a scavenger hunt is to go out and have adventures while looking for items instead of just staying online to find them. That's why we decided that before the game, each player must first select some small item to act as their "proof of finding." For example, a small action figure, or a piece of jewelry, or a keychain would be good... anything unique that can safely represent a player without much fear of duplication. This will be your marker for the duration of the game (though it can be changed the next time you play).

As you find the items from the list, you need to photograph them with your marker to prove that you've found them. The photographs are both proof, and an opportunity for a little creative expression about your items. Once you have found all the items, (or right before the deadline if you want to keep looking for better items), you should post all the photos in a single post. This is the only items post you're allowed to make, and you're not allowed to edit it once you have, but you ARE allowed to post commenting on other people's items. After the deadline, we'll tally up the scores and announce the winners.

We also decided that just snapping photos is easy so long as you can find the items, so we wanted to add an extra element of challenge. On every item list, there will be at least one item that calls for creativity and personal judgement on the part of the players, and some of these items can only be claimed by the player with the best answer. They're like a little contest within the game, because they're worth more points. There are also little additional details for some of the items which can get you bonus points for the extra effort.

Scoring:

- Each basic item found is worth one point for the find (awarded to all who find it), and one additional point for the player with the best answer.

- Each Creativity Item is worth three points.

- Bonus actions are worth one or two points, and are identified on the items list.

- One point goes to everyone who completes the list.

- Two points are awarded to the player with the first items post of the game.

- Two points are awarded to the player with the best photos.

The winner is decided on points, and gets to pick three items for the next game, and also gets a custom rank on the forum.

And, now, without further ado, here is this month's list!

October List, Total Possible Points: 30
Deadline: October 31st

1) Auto racing-related footwear. The footwear itself must be clearly marked with something related to racing.

2) A simply fabulous hat. One bonus point if you wear it in the picture, two if you convince a total stranger to model it for you.

3) The classiest sales display of condoms (or other safe-sex aids specifically manufactured and marketed for that purpose) that you can find in a general store (such as gas stations, pharmacies, quick marts, or even the Walmart/Target etc. type places, but no specialty shops). Remember that this item is about the store's method of display, not the protective gear itself. This item is a Creativity Item and can only be counted towards the points for the person with the best answer.

4) Something named the same as one of Poe's characters. You must have the name in the picture as part of the thing to claim this item. There is some flexibility on spelling, and you may not use any of our official art or merchandise for the item.

5) Fairy merchandise that is a cartoon fairy but isn't Tinkerbell.

6) Something that is designed to float (meaning it floats on purpose and needs to in order to fulfill its function, not just because it happens to be less dense than water). One bonus point if the picture shows it actually floating.

7) A cow, real or otherwise.

8) A roadside fruit stand with apples. Home-made cider would also be acceptable.

9) A board game with a picture of a boat on the box.

10) A deliberately earth-friendly home or other structure. One bonus point for researching a little and identifying what exactly makes the building earth-friendly.

Enjoy!

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Stick & String
Forum Regular

Re: October Photo Scavenger Hunt!

Post by Stick & String »

Ok, just wondering, can a person contribute to someone else? Case: I already lost on the condom display. Just nothing out here, and I would have to travel hundreds of miles just to have a chance at something like that. Not very plausible for me. Not to mention time is about to become a factor. Teams possible? If not I will just contribute what I can.

Ok, so lets get started?
#2, hat. A 30 year old initial creation from the Jackson Hole Hat company. No way anyone gets to wear my hats. Also, my marker. Fox whistle. Its about one of the few things that goes everywere with me (from school sports to hiking andd hunting).
hat and marker
Yeah, I need a shave, so what!

Images limited to 600 pixels. For those that want to resize, and have not image programs, go get Irfanview, download and use (get all plug ins as well). Beats the snot out of microsofts picture it crud, and no cost.
Irfanview
No online image host?
Try
Photobucket
Image shack US
Last edited by Stick & String on October 10th, 2007, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

Hmm... I see no reason why teams could not be formed. So long as the markers are identified ahead of time, that might even make it more fun.

Also, smaller images might be better for this, since that would keep the load time down and also reduce scrolling to review the items.

^-^'
Stick & String
Forum Regular

Post by Stick & String »

Just posting the image as a link could save even more bandwidth.
Back to edit.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

So, did this idea die or something?

And I was really looking forward to everyone's pictures...
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

It looks like it did die, unless people want to race out and take pictures now. I'm kinda sad, I too was looking forward to everyone's pictures, and it seemed like such a good idea at the time.

;-;'
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera...