Rinkaiel: Kidnappers

For in-universe game play. Journey through both familiar and foreign settings, explore lost ruins and forgotten cities, and try to bring light to the darkness of the world... or, you know, blow stuff up. Either way.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Rinkaiel: Kidnappers

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Too many, that's the problem." Leo replied, and held up his fingers as a man making a checklist. "Number one; the captain is conducting an investigation into the affair and simply wants to know what we know. Number two: he's going to pin the blame on us and wanted to know whether or not we were responsible before he pulls the trigger anyway. Number three: he knows who's responsible, and wanted to know whether we did. Number four..."

OOC if Jade was here, she'd be dinging him across the back of the head at this point.../OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Layla raised a hand. "Yeah, but investigation into what affair? He's a Tsuirakuan cop, remember. He takes care of their people and interests, and the rest of the world can go hang. If it had been the dig itself that got people's belongings taken, he'd be interested, because that was where the Tsuirakuans were. It wasn't. It was the town. So: Farrel town, Farrel robbers, Farrel stuff getting lifted. So where's his angle?"

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Maybe he had a personal investment in that 'Farrel stuff'." Leo mused, beginning to pace. "I find it difficult to believe that a man like Kitaura is 'on the level', especially being a lawman in a town like this one. If he doesn't have some kind of underhanded, profiteering, off the books thing going on I'll proceed directly to my home, pick up one of my stylish yet affordable hats, and eat it."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"You'd better find that hat, then," Layla replied, only half jokingly. "I've dealt with Kitaura since -- well, since before I came to Rinkaiel. He's about as far from the typical corrupt, compromised Tsuirakuan as they get, at least by reputation. Utterly devoted to his job of being the head-knocker out in the colonies, which is what they think everything but Tsuirakushiti is. He has no interests outside his job, except for this curious fixation with his ancestors who served and probably died in the Mage-Priest Wars, and that just makes his office -- unusual. I've been there." She half rolled her eyes, half shuddered. "I don't know that I've ever met anyone who it would be harder to get something on. And he's not just a lawman in this town. Tsuiraku sends him wherever they think they've got a problem outside the capital, and he just goes and solves the problem." She did not mention the concerns the Gewehr had had that they were the problem he was supposed to solve when he took the Homeland Security post in Kiyoka; as it turned out, they weren't, although according to Faye, the brain trust still didn't know what was.

"So," she continued, "if his angle on that airship isn't personal greed or advancement, what is it? We'd better try to find some answers to that before we proceed." That worked both ways; the Silver Hands had better be on the lookout for things that put him on edge, and hitting Reverend Orpiment if Kitaura took an interest in him would be ... dangerous.

But she was still resolved to do it.

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"In that case, I'd better go and have a word with Liepzeller. He's usually got his thick, stubby fingers on the pulse of the town, and Rufus might know someone who could set us on the right track." Leo rose to go. "Come pay us a visit if you find anything out. Jade'll definitely be in the guild today even if everyone else isn't."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"We'll come by later," Layla nodded. "Good luck."

[OOC: Not much to say at the moment, at least not briefly. More is coming later, but I'm going to be semi-out of pocket for a few days. Go ahead and do stuff at the forge...]

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Me too, bud. Intermittent til next monday./OOC

Leo arrived at Barker Lane twenty minutes later to find Rufus eating breakfast and Jade still asleep, while Eve and Bert in the training yard were having a noisy and extremely one-sided sparring match. Intermittent yelps of a man in pain carried clearly through the morning air.

"Kitaura." He said, by way of greeting.

"Yes, what about him?" Replied responded, not looking up from his eggs.

Leo sighed, although the former militia Captain was a good listener, his consistent focus on whatever menial task he was doing whenever the younger man had something to say had been an irritating habit which had bugged him for years. Leo suspected Rufus knew this, and that it was his biggest motivation for doing it. In any case, the tale didn't take long to relay, and by then the old man was carefully wiping the last drops of yoke out of the tangle of his beard with a thoughtful expression.

"I don't buy it." He said, after a moment of reflection. "A magic wielding lawman who's incorruptible? Might as well look for an honest politician or a blacksmith who won't overcharge."

"I resent that." Came a semi-conscious slurred whisper from the next room.

"Looks like you'll be doing some digging today. Luckily for you, my lad, I have a place for you to start." With the Captain got stiffly to his feet and began rummaging through a kitchen drawer for writing materials. A minute later he pressed a small paper to his subordinate.

"Look for a man called Carver at this pub. He's tall, heavy-set, former militiaman as I hear it."

"Former?"

"Well, not quite yet. He's a sergeant, at least for the time being, currently suspended and under suspicion of committing a variety of offenses, bribery and blackmail is only the tip of it. It seems your Captain Kitaura had a hand in removing him from his position. If anyone had the motivation and the resources for looking for cracks in his squeaky clean record, it'd be him. I suggest to make your way there and find out what he knows."

OOC Let me know if you want any part of this retconning./OOC
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC I'll try to think of something lengthy to write when I get back on Sunday. Not having a net connection within easy reach atm is a pain in the arse and I know you're intermittent too. Hopefully that'll change in the next week or so when we get the laptop repaired./OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, back in regular contact...]

"My masterpiece," Faye was smiling ear to ear as she emerged from the house bearing the artifact from the dwarven site.

Layla and Ace gave the thing a wide berth, remembering that the goal was to set it up so that it administered lethal, undetectable poison to Reverend Orpiment. Faye clucked good-natured disapproval at them. "Don't worry, it won't bite you. It's completely harmless until this little compartment here is opened." She pointed to a small flap on the thing's side, looking like it was securing the compartment. A rune was pressed into its surface. "How did you do that?" Layla asked.

Faye's grin widened. "A little bit of Zachary's modeling clay."

"Zacky's clay? Don't you mean your clay?" Now Layla was grinning too. Faye, like every grandmother in existence, thought her grandson an incipient genius and musician and star athlete all rolled into one, and bombarded him with gifts that were really beyond his age level -- so she just played with them herself as Zachary giggled and cooed. (Of course, Layla basically agreed with that assessment. Still, she let her mother have some toy time too, being even-handed about such things.)

"Whatever," Faye waved her hand airly. "I was going to ask you to see if you could put a little magic onto the clay for effect, but --"

"The dwarves didn't do magic," Layla finished the sentence. "Well, this should work just fine. I'm impressed. We still have to solve the problem of getting this little gadget to Orpiment, but the Silver Hands may be turning up some leads on that..." If they don't get overly obsessed with Kitaura, which would be a baaaaad idea.

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC I'm falling down tired right now. I'll try to get something in tomorrow./OOC