Salvus and homeward

For in-universe game play. Journey through both familiar and foreign settings, explore lost ruins and forgotten cities, and try to bring light to the darkness of the world... or, you know, blow stuff up. Either way.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Salvus and homeward

Post by Graybeard »

The 20-percent chance won. The nun moved tentatively, almost timidly, toward Therese and Desiree, one hand clasping an envelope with a seal on it faintly redolent of magic. "Luminosita's Blessings be upon you," she said softly, and rather nervously. "Do I -- do I have it right that you are traveling with my friend and colleague Sister Rose?"

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

The 20-percent chance won. The nun moved tentatively, almost timidly, toward Therese and Desiree, one hand clasping an envelope with a seal on it faintly redolent of magic. "Luminosita's Blessings be upon you," she said softly, and rather nervously. "Do I -- do I have it right that you are traveling with my friend and colleague Sister Rose?"

"That's correct," I say, repressing a sigh. "Would you like to speak with her? I believe she's back at the inn. She might even be awake by now."

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The nun looked around nervously. "No -- no, I can't, I shouldn't. Please give her this." She extended the envelope and Therese took it, almost on reflex.

The nun sagged with obvious relief. "Tell her that Sister Charlotte sends her love -- and her condolences." Without waiting for a response, she beat a hasty retreat, heading for a church spire in the distance.

Therese looked at Desiree. "Condolences," she repeated. "That doesn't sound good..."

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

The nun looked around nervously. "No -- no, I can't, I shouldn't. Please give her this." She extended the envelope and Therese took it, almost on reflex.
The nun sagged with obvious relief. "Tell her that Sister Charlotte sends her love -- and her condolences." Without waiting for a response, she beat a hasty retreat, heading for a church spire in the distance.
Therese looked at Desiree. "Condolences," she repeated. "That doesn't sound good..."

I sigh. So much for working up an appetite. "We should probably head back and make sure she gets this," I say, looking at the letter suspiciously. What new trouble does it contain, I wonder.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Charlotte was here?" said Sister Rose, who had gone to breakfast with Argus by the time Therese and Desiree got back to the inn. "That's odd. I never thought she'd come to a place like this. Young woman, shorter than I am, round face, dark hair?" Therese nodded; that description fit the woman who'd given them the envelope, which she now extended to Rose.

"I knew her back when she was a novice," Rose explained as she examined the envelope. "Nice girl, compassionate and caring, but very shy. She sort of looked up to me, but the last I knew, she'd become an Orthodox nun, and I didn't think she'd ever set foot outside Veracia... ah, here we go." The magical seal flared and the envelope flap opened, revealing a letter, which Rose began to read.

It only took a line or two before Rose's normally serene expression, which had been tinged with puzzlement at the unexpected visitor, changed into utter horror. "Oh, god," she gasped as she read further, and the paper dropped from her hand to the floor as she looked at Therese and Desiree with pure devastation on her face.

"It's my sister Margot. They found her... or rather, they found her body."

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

It only took a line or two before Rose's normally serene expression, which had been tinged with puzzlement at the unexpected visitor, changed into utter horror. "Oh, god," she gasped as she read further, and the paper dropped from her hand to the floor as she looked at Therese and Desiree with pure devastation on her face.

"It's my sister Margot. They found her... or rather, they found her body."

I open my mouth and then close it again. How do you respond to that? Maybe Therese and I should leave her alone with Argus to... mourn? Or... is there more to this?

"I'm sorry for your loss," I say softly. "Do you... need some time?" Hopefully Rose will let us know if she wants us to stay or go.

-- Desiree

OOC: Sorry, been burried in papers.
... also, sorry about that unintentional rhyme.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: No prob, it's been spring-break time with all that that entails... So a bifurcation point, and time for a decision.]

Several teary hugs later, Sister Rose had partially regained her composure. It wasn't like this was totally unexpected, she thought. From the moment Margot climbed through that window, I was pretty sure what was coming next... but it still hurts.

She picked up the message and slid it into the folds of her robe. "They're sending a fast airship for me -- for us." She squeezed Argus' hand. "They say it should get here this evening."

Therese was impressed. "Wow. They would do that for -- you?" She'd started to say "somebody from a splinter denomination," but decided against it.

"Apparently so," Rose confirmed. "Some of the things our church does -- well, I don't always agree with some of the more -- extreme things. But they do take care of their own." She managed a weak smile. "Even If their own are a little wild and unconventional sometimes." She squeezed Argus' hand again.

Therese wasn't buying it. "And there couldn't possibly be an ulterior motive? Like, getting you back for some questioning?" Then she blushed. "Oh, I'm sorry, what an insensitive thing to say. I --"

"Nothing to apologize for," Rose interrupted. "You're absolutely right, there has to be an ulterior motive. But we'll deal with it." Another weak smile. "Luminosita will provide." One hell of an ironic thing to say, given what is going to happen next, but anyway. She turned so that the next thing she said would address all of Therese, Desiree and Tamina. "The message didn't exactly specify who all would be getting picked up, although they said 'you' rather than 'your group,' for whatever that is worth. But I can try to get us all onto the thing if you want me to." Another Argus squeeze, and a quick mental message to him: <"If you're not going, neither am I."> Then back to the others: "Do you want me to try? Or do you want to continue your own quest for this fairy? I'll -- we'll be all right, I promise."

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina had offered her sincerest sympathies at Rose's news, but did so with a deepening sense of resignation. A death in the family when far from home was considered a bad omen in her people's culture, add to that her recent mood and...

"Think I might take the ship back." She said to the room at large. "Don't like this land, and I'm...starting to worry about the Killikah. Need to know if they found a home yet."

OOC Which is my way of saying I'll be pulling out of this soon. I've just got too much going on for the foreseeable future to make any regular time for this. Sorry all./OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: Understood, JR, and thanks for years of fun.

Actually, I think the time may have come when we need to wrap this game up, at least until Poe resumes drawing for the Errant World. The problem is that with Errant Story receding in the rear-view mirror, we just don't have enough people around to keep the pot boiling, to mix metaphors a bit. Hopefully a time will come, sooner rather than later, when Errant Tales get going again and there will be a new group of players for Errant Road. Based on my understanding of the chaos of Poe and Impy's lives, that probably isn't happening any time soon. Sheesh, the things those two have been through...

I propose we move toward getting Rose, Argus and Tamina on that airship so they can go off and Live Happily Ever After, and then advance Desiree and Therese as Drusia wishes (several options are currently open) to a similarly satisfactory denouement. I'd like to continue telling Rose's story as fanfiction -- I've done a lot of thinking about what her future might be like -- if that happens, but it need not be transacted in the game, unless Drannin comes back and/or we get some new blood.

This thing has been a LOT of fun for a long time; we're coming up on six years of play. And I hope it will again be both lots of fun, and highly active, when Errant Tales start. For now, however, a graceful draw-down may be indicated.

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: I quite agree. Tim's got his happy ending, Jargalan's got his just deserts, and Udo will always be up for adventures in the future, if there's time and inspiration. Maybe Anfisa too depending on who becomes available and how much time they have. Or someone new. You've got my address.

And I agree x 2 on the thanks for JR, doubly-especially for the Ralkin adventure. But it's all been great!]