Salvus and homeward

For in-universe game play. Journey through both familiar and foreign settings, explore lost ruins and forgotten cities, and try to bring light to the darkness of the world... or, you know, blow stuff up. Either way.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Salvus and homeward

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: I'd never thought of Hatch as a model for Santuariel, but it actually kinda works; check the panorama near the top of that page, and there are some possibly relevant cultural things as well. So... just a quick comment to volley it back to both Udo and Desiree, and we'll get on to Santuariel and maybe Brad and Lillith shortly:]

Therese listened to the exchange with amusement, then turned to Desiree. "Actually, I'd always thought that beer was a better antidote for spicy food."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Try the infirmary in the middle of town, or there's a new young couple here, moved from the south, trying to set up a new church and clinic. Have to tell you, though, they're -- odd."

"New church, eh? That's gotta be Brad," I murmur to Therese. Which makes the clinic Lillith.

Then it was back to the wagon with Therese and Desiree. "But what brings you women here? You don't look like you need healing. Hell, I need it more than you do."

I repress a wince - I didn't expect to see so many Era- er, birth defects so soon. Blindness? Whatever's wrong with that woman's arm? Unless it's an injury. The blindness though....

"Actually, I'm a healer too," I say, not-so-casually brushing my hair back to show her my ear. I'm not sure if the blind boy was talking about my bloodline or my accent, so better not to assume. "Lillith and Brad - the newcomers you mentioned - trained with the same master as I." That's one way to describe Rose. "My lover and I are here to visit them." I nod to Therese.

There's a brief pause while Udo samples the local peppers. I usually prefer mine cooked - particularly if they're spicy.

Therese listened to the exchange with amusement, then turned to Desiree. "Actually, I'd always thought that beer was a better antidote for spicy food."

"Rice or potato bread works best," I reply, grinning. I guess everywhere as their own traditions about that. Then, still smiling, I turn back to the woman.

"Is your arm hurt? I could take a look at it, if you like." There, a polite offer, but no promise of treatment. I don't want to step on Lillith's toes, particularly if she's trying to make a living at her clinic.

-- Desiree
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Udo, not having heard any of this useful advice, and not possessing any milk, beer, rice, potato bread, oil, butter, or gasoline, was uselessly glugging down all the water in his water bottle.

The boy, overcome with "emotion," was not only covering his face but on the ground, shaking. He was in no position to help.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sally Darrow smiled wanly at Desiree's offer. "Thank you, ma'am," she said, "but it's only a little strain. I'm not used to throwing vegetables around. Just a little rest and it'll be all better. But Jason..." She glanced at her son. "Nobody has ever been able to do anything for him. I don't suppose..." Her voice trailed off.

Therese, for her part, found herself slipping back into the quiet, austere persona that she and most of the members of the Sisterhood adopted when in Goriel; this place didn't feel like Goriel at all, but she felt that same need to keep a low profile, although she didn't know exactly why. She resisted the urge to tuck her fire-colored hair up under her hat. It would seem an unnatural act now, since this woman, "Miz Darrow," had already seen her with her hair down. And the people in the other wagon...

"That guy who's trying to drown his sorrows after eating the pepper," he whispered to Desiree. "Haven't we seen him before?"

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"Thank you, ma'am," she said, "but it's only a little strain. I'm not used to throwing vegetables around. Just a little rest and it'll be all better. But Jason..." She glanced at her son. "Nobody has ever been able to do anything for him. I don't suppose..." Her voice trailed off.

I shake my head sadly. "What he was born with, not even the gods can change now." As I'm sure she well knows, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again.

I confirm the directions to the clinic and then bid her and her son farewell.

Therese looks a bit... uncomfortable about something. I wonder what.

"That guy who's trying to drown his sorrows after eating the pepper," he whispered to Desiree. "Haven't we seen him before?"

"Yes, outside Goriel. He was traveling with my mother when we last saw him," I remind her. Therese must be quite preoccupied with he thoughts not to have heard me ask after my mother when I first greeted him. "I think he was a friend of Tamina's. Too bad she didn't come along - I'm sure they'd have had more to talk about."

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Truthfully, I had forgotten that Desiree had pointed Udo out to Therese. It's all good, we can go forward from here. So...]

Therese's eyes narrowed. "Quite a coincidence, running into him here," she said quietly to Desiree. "Goriel taught me not to believe in coincidences."

Meanwhile, the father of the ill child was extracting his coin purse. "Thankee, soor, for your services," he said to Udo, somehow keeping a straight face about those "services" despite the vegetables being hurled back and forth. "We kin take it f'm here." He shook out a reasonable pile of coins and presented them to Udo, then climbed back onto the wagon and set it in motion toward the center of town, as hastily as circumstances would allow.

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Before the man left, his wife -- alone among the persons here -- took some pity on the suffering Udo, and offered him some Veracian beer from a leather flask. He didn't have time to question whether that contagion-coughing child of hers had been near it. He sucked it down gratefully, and at last had relief. Healing would take care of the rest.

(Young blind Jason appeared to be recovering from his own ordeal, one that might've helped to lengthen his own life. He'd never heard an out-of-towner fall for that one so hard.)

Udo accepted his payment and coughed out what was most likely some variant of "thank you." (Because not even Udo could pull off "I meant to do that" under the circumstances.)
Last edited by Alberich on May 31st, 2014, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Brad

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Contagion-coughing daughter, not son, but it really doesn't matter since the family is continuing onward in search of a healer. I am assuming that the now-unemployed Udo is linking up with Therese and Desiree, but the following is written to "work" whether he's with them or not; your call.]

The wagon had only passed one more field on the way into town before Therese tapped the driver on the shoulder. "That man, tending the potatoes," she said. "Could we stop and talk to him for just a moment? I think I recognize him."

The recognition was mutual, and Brad's face lit up like the Luminosita's Visage spell, except that of course, it was surrounded by floppy hair and no beard. It was also grinning ear to ear in a very un-Luminositan fashion.

He dropped his hoe and sprinted for the wagon, and when he got there, spoke a single word through his rapturous facial expression.

"TWINS!!"

Drusia

Re: Brad

Post by Drusia »

Therese's eyes narrowed. "Quite a coincidence, running into him here," she said quietly to Desiree. "Goriel taught me not to believe in coincidences."

I'm pretty sure Udo isn't from Goriel, but I also don't know him well enough to trust him, so I simply nod.

The recognition was mutual, and Brad's face lit up
He dropped his hoe and sprinted for the wagon, and when he got there, spoke a single word through his rapturous facial expression.
"TWINS!!"

Really? Huh. Has it been nine months already?

I hop down off the wagon and meet him with a hug. "It's good to see you!" I tell him. "Congratulations."

-- Desiree
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Udo was trotting along on his faithful mare, planning to get a little healing for his throat here. Minor injuries only -- he had a vague memory of doing something similar on a weekend-pass dare, and knew it would heal on its own soon enough -- but he had coins in his pocket, noplace particular to go, and why not see what this town had to offer?

By this point he'd had a chance to recognize Therese as well as Desiree, and he knew they'd both had a chance to recognize him, but he didn't choose to ride up too close to them. Since he'd answered Desiree's question about Drusia, they'd preferred to talk to each other and ignore him; and now they were having a reunion with some old friend of theirs, who judging by that little building over there was the healer. If that looked like taking too long he could always seek out the infirmary.