Salvus and homeward

For in-universe game play. Journey through both familiar and foreign settings, explore lost ruins and forgotten cities, and try to bring light to the darkness of the world... or, you know, blow stuff up. Either way.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Salvus and homeward

Post by Drusia »

"Others hate men." She shook her head again, and there was a wry smile on her face when she stopped. "In case there's any uncertainty, I don't hate men. I hate bad men, and men like Argus and Brad and even Tim aren't bad men. But some of the Sisterhood don't draw the distinction. And others... I don't know why. But anyway, fertility in town is low, and the newcomers from Goriel help with that."

How odd. I try to imagining hating a whole gender and... it just seems quite odd. There are those with preferences for one or the other in Snamish, although most of us are happy enough with both, but it never really seemed any different than those who preferred mead rather than beer. Then again, considering the way men behave in Goriel, I suppose I could see how some might be bitter. But why be angry at men when the problem is obviously Goriel not the men themselves? Hm.

The wry smile had disappeared by the time she opened her mouth again, and she squeezed Desiree's hand. "I, though ... I'd like to have children, I think. It's just that I don't know -- don't know how -- we --"

She trials off as we reach the columbine braid. Ah, so that's what that is - a wreath of columbines. She could have just said that.

"This way," I say, taking the right-hand fork.

Anyway, children huh? I swallow and keep my voice level with an effort. "If we were in Snamish, the first option for two women would be for one of us to get pregnant by the other's brother. Obviously my brother's out of the question - he's far too old - and I've never heard you speak of a brother. Lacking a sibling, a couple usually asks a mutual friend to perform the task - sometimes with both of them, to produce sort-of twins." Of course, I can't really think of any mutual friends who would be suitable for the role. However, that doesn't mean we might not make such a friend at some point, particularly once we're in either her home or mine.

The last option, which I won't metion just yet, would be for one or both of us to have casual sex with random men - usually men with certain positive traits in common - and let random chance take its course. However, I have a feeling that would be the option Therese would like least.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Lacking a sibling, a couple usually asks a mutual friend to perform the task - sometimes with both of them, to produce sort-of twins."

Therese's facial expression as she took this idea in would defy description, but it didn't last long anyway, as she immediately doubled over in laughter.

"Oh, gods, I'm sorry," she finally got out as she straightened back up, her stomach hurting from how hard she'd laughed, and her eyes running a river. "It's just that ... our mutual male friends ..."

She doubled over again, but this time she regained control soon enough to continue the sentence. (She'd noticed something glinting off in the brush at the side of the trail that she wanted to look at before they moved on, but first things first.) "Sorry," she repeated, "I was just going through our mutual male friends ... and ... Well, I don't think Argus would agree to do it, with the way he is now with Rose. And Brad wouldn't either, because of Lillith. So that leaves ..." Another convulsion of laughter seized her, and her belly was hurting something fierce by the time she got out one more word, after which she once again collapsed in mirth.

"Tim..."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

she immediately doubled over in laughter.
"Oh, gods, I'm sorry," she finally got out as she straightened back up, her stomach hurting from how hard she'd laughed, and her eyes running a river. "It's just that ... our mutual male friends ..."
She doubled over again, but this time she regained control soon enough to continue the sentence.
"Sorry," she repeated, "I was just going through our mutual male friends ... and ... Well, I don't think Argus would agree to do it, with the way he is now with Rose. And Brad wouldn't either, because of Lillith. So that leaves ..." Another convulsion of laughter seized her, and her belly was hurting something fierce by the time she got out one more word, after which she once again collapsed in mirth. "Tim..."

I watch Therese's collapse with a bemused smile. I wait until she calms down enough to listen (if not speak) before continuing.

"I was actually just thinking that we'd probably need to make some new male friends for that to work - preferably in either your homeland or mine. I hit the same... issues... with the short list that you did. Although, not to quite the same..." I gesture at Therese's current positioning.

I pause, my smile turning just a bit sly. "Oh, and you forgot to mention Udo." I grin. That will either send her into anther fit of laughter or sober her up - I'm not sure which. Either way, hopefully our lack of male friends will temporarily put this line of thought on hold. I'm not ready to start a family just yet.

Speaking of laughter, if Lillith is anywhere nearby, I don't she could have helped but hear Therese's outburst. Hopefully she wasn't doing anything too sensitive.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The effect of hearing Udo's name did have a sobering-up effect on Therese, although it was prefaced by a downright theatrical rolling of eyes. "Let's not go that far," she said. Then she got serious. "You're right, of course, now isn't the time even think about childbearing. It's just that..."

Whatever she was going to say to finish that sentence didn't make it out. She shook her head. "Anyway, I noticed something over in the bushes that I want to look at before we go on. Be right back." She stepped off the trail, returning no more than a minute later with a large birdcage.

"I was remembering something Rose told me before she left," she said, presenting the cage to Desiree. "Evidently this 'Sasha' was hauling 'Compassion' around in a cage like this when Rose first met her -- met Compassion, I mean. She said there were pieces that Compassion pulled off it, just like here." She gestured. "And she'd pulled it open like this. Rose said she was way too strong to be confined in a birdcage, but she stayed in it except when she came out to do something to Argus' familiar that Rose didn't describe." Another rolling of eyes. "I can just imagine, though. But one thing --"

She pointed at the bottom of the cage. "If this really is what Sasha was carrying Compassion around in, why is there a big scorch mark on it now?"

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"Evidently this 'Sasha' was hauling 'Compassion' around in a cage like this when Rose first met her -- met Compassion, I mean. She said there were pieces that Compassion pulled off it, just like here." She gestured. "And she'd pulled it open like this. Rose said she was way too strong to be confined in a birdcage, but she stayed in it except when she came out to do something to Argus' familiar that Rose didn't describe." Another rolling of eyes. "I can just imagine, though. But one thing --"

She pointed at the bottom of the cage. "If this really is what Sasha was carrying Compassion around in, why is there a big scorch mark on it now?"

That... does not look good.

"We need to find Lillith and ask her if she knows what became of Sasha ad Compassion," I say, frowning at the scorch mark. I take Therese's free hand. "Let's hurry," I say, starting forward with determination and speed. We passed the columbine braid - it can't be much farther now.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Therese nodded and quickened her pace. "One thing, though," she said as they walked. "Exactly what are we going to tell her?"

There didn't look to be much time to answer that question, as they could see a clearing ahead of them on the hillside.

[OOC: It's a good question, but it's also a bit of temporizing until I can completely review how Lillith interacted with all the characters, notably Sasha (with whom she had one memorable fight), and how she would respond. Sareth, we miss you! D, if you can get us to the clearing, I'll step into character tomorrow, but it would sure be better if Lillith's actual "owner" was available...]

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Therese nodded and quickened her pace. "One thing, though," she said as they walked. "Exactly what are we going to tell her?"

"The truth - that we're here for two reasons," I reply quickly. "To visit her and Brad - and to find Sasha and Compassion." I just hope we aren't too late for Compassion.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Still brief as I'm on the road, but stuff is starting to happen...]

It didn't take long to put theory into practice, as a short woman with long hair and a flowing dress could be seen tending the grove. (No weird braids or ribbons, Therese was amused to note.) Lillith had learned alertness from her travels with Sister Rose, and she looked up almost immediately and ran over to where Therese and Desiree were standing, a wide smile on her face.

"Looking good," Therese said as Lillith enveloped the two sequentially in hugs and squeals were exchanged. "Congratulations."

Lillith beamed broadly at this. "So wonderful to see you again!" Momentary seriousness passed across her face. "But where are Rose and Ar- Father? Are-- are they--"

Whatever she was suspecting Rose and Argus of, it wouldn't quite come out.

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Lillith beamed broadly at this. "So wonderful to see you again!" Momentary seriousness passed across her face. "But where are Rose and Ar- Father? Are-- are they--"

"They were called away to a family funeral, otherwise they would have been here with us," I say, calming her before she gets any outlandish ideas. "Rose's sister passed." I pause there. I wasn't expecting Brad to be this upset - but, then, I didn't realize it was his - aunt? - who died. The Luminosan nuns call one another sister all the time, so I thought it was a nun's funeral, not a her literal sister. Bit of a faux pas all things considered.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Her sister? Her biological sister, you mean?" Lillith slumped as Therese nodded. "Oh, that's so sad ... I hope she's okay..." A period of commiseration followed, at the end of which Therese decided she could dare to risk another sensitive subject.

"When Rose sent us here," she said, "she thought you might have some insights on another half elf who may have passed through here recently, a young woman named Sasha Mitchel or Sasha Doyel, Rose wasn't sure which. Do you have any --" She broke off, seeing an abrupt change in Lillith's body language.

Lillith opened her mouth, but words wouldn't come out at first, so she closed it, re-opened, tried again. "You do pick the most disagreeable changes of subject," she finally said flatly, the warmth in her eyes dimmed by more than one notch.