Salvus and homeward

For in-universe game play. Journey through both familiar and foreign settings, explore lost ruins and forgotten cities, and try to bring light to the darkness of the world... or, you know, blow stuff up. Either way.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Salvus and homeward

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina surprised herself by raising a paw and offering a few words. Despite her earlier suspicions she'd developed a grudging respect for the priest. His motivations had proven to be good, but what good intentions would do in the trollish lands was beyond her to guess.

"Tell Tim 'Be good, and good luck'." She said. "Also 'Give the bad men the scratchy-scratchy for me'."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Scratchy-scratchy? Sister Rose wondered. She was getting used to the loops, barrel rolls and chandelles of Tamina's thought processes, but there was still a surprise every now and then.

For her part, she just smiled softly at the emissary, and said, "Book of Wisdoms, chapter two, verse fifteen. He'll understand."

Therese was half searching her memory for what she knew of the Ghob (which was essentially nothing other than far-fetched rumors), half trying to find something to tell Tim herself, but she raised an eyebrow at this comment. "What's that?"

"One of our holy texts," Rose answered. "The verse says 'Wisdom includes not getting angry unnecessarily.' Seems like a good thing to remember in a place like this." She turned to Desiree. "Anything you want to tell him?"

[OOC: Rose probably wouldn't have passed along that particular pearl of wisdom if she'd known the identity of the character that said it the first time. However, that part isn't in the Book of Wisdoms either.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: I hope everyone's holidays were wonderful! I've heard from Drusia, and as soon as A, D and JR come back up for air (sounds like some of you folks had absolutely vicious fall terms), we can continue this, and hopefully give the PCs some happy-ending closure.

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC I'm good to go when everyone else is, Grey :). Happy new year!/OOC
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

OOC: So... we're still waiting on Al to reply, right?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Actually, I think those who are going south can go ahead and go, while the various NPCs in town wait for Tim to come up for air. To that end, and something I'd been wanting to do for some time:]

The weird steam-powered wagon lurched into motion, amid great clouds of smoke and steam, with Sister Rose, Therese, Desiree, Argus and Tamina on board, in various states of comfort with the whole idea.

Noisier than I expected, thought Rose, but I really should have been expecting it. The ride isn't bad, all things considered. And I'll give it this: I don't think anyone is going to be bothering us. She'd seen the "cargo" vehicle fall in behind them, and it was positively bristling with obvious weaponry; dwarven? Maybe, or maybe some of the "far superior" weaponry the Northern Confederacy was reputed to have. Whoever had built it, it looked more than adequate to deter would-be bandits.

Argus had gone forward to chat with Dess Marson [OOC: D, if you're here, over to you for that part of things...], so with a rare moment of both security and tranquility available, Rose decided to make some quiet inquiries on something she'd been thinking about for some time. She slid over to where Therese and Desiree were sitting, hand in hand, quietly (and maybe a bit anxiously) watching the scenery go by with unusual rapidity. "If you don't mind my asking," she said to Therese (making sure that Desiree would also hear, since the question would involve her as well), "I've been wondering about these Five Great Mothers that you worship. I think you know by now that I'm, well, less inclined than some of my countrymen --" read, damn near all of them -- "to discount religious practices other than worshiping Our Lord Luminosita. So tell me more about them. Are they the same as what --" she glanced at Desiree, decided to keep the elves out of it -- "Desiree's people might call the 'Paedagogusi'?"

Therese looked utterly perplexed. "Pay-da-what?"

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"So tell me more about them. Are they the same as what --" she glanced at Desiree, decided to keep the elves out of it -- "Desiree's people might call the 'Paedagogusi'?"
Therese looked utterly perplexed. "Pay-da-what?"

"Paedagogusi," I say, repeating the word with a bit more care than Rose gave it. "They're from the elven religion. Anilis and Sentilis created five paedagogusi - five deific servants - to teach and guide the elves. They taught the elves about magic and logic and laws - everything that let the elves form a society. And then, when the gods withdrew, the Paedagogusi withdrew to serve them. Some think they went away, but back home we believe that the gods felt that the elves just didn't need them anymore, but that while they withdrew from the elves, they are still out there, watching over the world." I don't add anything about my personal belief that the gods left to create humans for the purpose of creating half-elves.

I pause in my lecture and turn to Rose. "What made you think there was a connection between the Great Mothers and the Paedagogusi? Just the number five? Or did you have some other reason?"

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"What made you think there was a connection between the Great Mothers and the Paedagogusi? Just the number five? Or did you have some other reason?"

Good question,
thought Sister Rose. There were several reasons, some of which she didn't feel ready to reveal to anyone but Argus, including the big one. (I'm going to have to tell him soon, she thought.) She decided to pick a couple that weren't too ... loaded.

"Two things." To Therese: "One was that figurine you gave me so we could home in on you when we got separated on the way up here. It looked like something I'd seen before." She turned back to Desiree. "Before we met you, we had a weird encounter with something that Lillith said was Paedagogusi-like. It's a long story, but it left me wondering just how widespread the fairies are, whether they're actual Paedagogusi or not." And whether there's any possibility that they're connected to the Convergence, but let's not go there yet.

She looked ready to hand the thread back to Desiree, but Therese interrupted. "You said there were two things. What was the other one?"

Rose got an impish grin. "You just seem so well matched in other ways."

Momentarily, Therese blushed, which she didn't do very often, and squeezed Desiree's hand.

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"Two things." To Therese: "One was that figurine you gave me so we could home in on you when we got separated on the way up here. It looked like something I'd seen before." She turned back to Desiree. "Before we met you, we had a weird encounter with something that Lillith said was Paedagogusi-like. It's a long story, but it left me wondering just how widespread the fairies are, whether they're actual Paedagogusi or not."

W-what?! Rose, Lillith, and my mother MET a servant of the gods?! Why am I only hearing about this now?!

Before I can sputter a response -

"You said there were two things. What was the other one?"
Rose got an impish grin. "You just seem so well matched in other ways."
Momentarily, Therese blushed, which she didn't do very often, and squeezed Desiree's hand.

- which kinda short circuits my sputter. Heh.

Ahem. Well, fine then.

"Widespread?" I ask. "There's only supposed to be five of them total. Did you see more than five of these... fairy creatures?" If it was just one, then there's a chance that it really was a Paedagogusi. Particularly if we're right and the gods didn't really leave, just withdrew their hands a bit. It would make sense that the Paedagogusi might go out and run errands now and then.

I take a breath, and ask "And why am I only hearing about this now? You might have met a servant of Anilis, and you never thought to mention it to me?" I sound only mildly perturbed, which is good. Calm is good.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

I take a breath, and ask "And why am I only hearing about this now? You might have met a servant of Anilis, and you never thought to mention it to me?"

Sister Rose took a deep breath in turn. "Bluntly, I didn't want to mention it while Tim was around. I think you can imagine all the ways that might have gone wrong..."