Farrel- Vengeance in the Mushrooms Woods

For in-universe game play. Journey through both familiar and foreign settings, explore lost ruins and forgotten cities, and try to bring light to the darkness of the world... or, you know, blow stuff up. Either way.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Farrel- Vengeance in the Mushrooms Woods

Post by Graybeard »

Elke's icy glare would have stopped many men in their tracks, rooted to the floor. However, it didn't seem to be working on this one. She exaggeratedly looked Leo over from head to toe, trying to buy herself a few seconds to think.

Hmmm ... this smells like an outfit. Not Gewehr, obviously, and I don't know who else would be horning in on the Falkenrohr like a bunch of idiots. For that matter, maybe they're with the Falkenrohr here. Either way, caution is indicated ... but courtesy is not required. Let's see, what's a pseudonym that I haven't used in a long time? Aha.

Her glare softened not an iota as she answered Leo, nor did her voice warm up by as much as a tenth of a degree. "Call me Maud. If that isn't enough for you, use my full name, which is if-I-tell-you-more-I-have-to-kill-you." She lifted her glass to her lips, carefully displaying a prominent wedding band on her ring finger; the threat wasn't just a general purpose go-away, it was for the pain that she was feeling for having to use that hand gesture, and to remember the man who'd given her the ring only short months earlier.

[OOC: Subject to retconning if Elke has ever heard of the Silver Hands, but I can find no evidence that she would have.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Leo decided he'd pushed his luck far enough. Truthfully he was a little taken back; his 'charming gentleman' act usually went over well with women, married or not. He lifted his glass and gave a salute.

"Well Maud, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. May your days, and your husband's, be long upon this earth."

Eve and Jade mirrored their companion's gesture before he returned to their table, whereupon Jade gave him a second nudge to the ribs.

"Happy now?"

"More or less. Her being coy about her name strongly implies she's up to something."

"Well, she's not messing with us so who cares?"

"Fair point. But I'm a curious kitten, one who's inclined to keep an eye on her."

"We still haven't decided where we're going next." Said Eve. "I'm for catching up with Ace. He's got an airship after all. I'm sure we can convince him to give us a lift."

"I don't care about the transport as long as it's not a warp gate." Jade said. nausea already climbing in her gut. She turned to Leo. "You said your brother was in port?"

"Yep. He sent me a message a few days ago. Said he'd taken up lodgings in a tavern called 'The Klark'. It'd be nice to see him again, we haven't spoken much since father's funeral."

"Questions for the morning." Jade mused, pouring another whisky.

OOC Did you have any plans with Ace and co? I'm pretty much freestyling this atm./OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Well Maud, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. May your days, and your husband's, be long upon this earth."

Never had Leo come closer to dying than he did in that moment.

Elke was already starting to reach for the handgun she'd concealed beneath the table when she caught herself. Settle down. He doesn't know about John. He can't know. Besides, you don't want to get into trouble with the Falkenrohr, and it looks this bunch might be under their protection. Not to mention that they're probably armed themselves. And something useful has just been learned: if he doesn't know you've been widowed recently, then he also doesn't know who you are or why you're here. That's good.

Her glare not changing a bit, she muttered "And yours," not altogether truthfully. She went back to her drink.

[OOC: So shall we let the amorous couples fast-forward to morning? Poor Eve! If you wish, I'll conjure up some studly NPC to keep her company ... :twisted: And no plans with Ace; he'd be flying back where he came from, to get the airship repaired after a good night's sleep. Note that Layla herself will not appear in this on a routine basis, and I hadn't planned for Ace to, either, although he can if you need him for something.]

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC That's fine with me. Onto morning.../OOC

Jade's eyes fluttered open in the early morning light. Despite the pro-combat aches and pains that announced she should take it easy for a while the techsmith's smile was warm as she turned on her side and reached out to caress what was lying next to her.

"I've missed you." She whispered.

"Umm... what?"

"Nothing!" Jade jerked guilty upright, her hand falling away.

"You know, some men might find it a little concerning that you sleep with your sword in our bed."

"It's a special bond dear heart, you wouldn't understand."

"I'm sure." The aristocrat rolled out of bed without further ceremony and began pulling on his clothes. "You ready for breakfast?"

"I'm ready for the hair of the dog and about ten pancakes to soak up the leftovers." She winced. Whisky never did her any favours.

"Given any thoughts to our travel plans?"

"As a matter of fact, I have." Jade replied, reaching for her tobacco pouch. "Heading back to the port doesn't sound like too bad an idea. The southern continent is a weird place so I'm told. Maybe they'll have what I'm looking for there."

"Just as long as we send a message to Rufus first." Leo said. "He'll be wondering where his prize pupils have gotten to if we don't check in."

"What about our new compadres?"

"I guess we'll ask what they think over breakfast."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: I propose to let Khoo and Anna-Lisa sleep in for an exchange or two yet, since Khoo was, shall we say, up all night. Elke has a couple of things to say, however. As for Udo and Fumiko, shall we just let them "wander away" until/unless Al comes back? This would be the time for them to do that. Your call. So back to Elke, with the note that I really don't intend for her to become a PC, just a driving force to get things to happen:]

Elke was waiting for the Silver Hands when they went to breakfast, and looking a bit green. I thought I was past the morning-sickness stage, but apparently this kid wanted to give me one last dose of it, that or that non-alcoholic rotgut from last night had something nastier than alcohol in it. Anyway...

She got straight to the point. "I want to apologize for blowing you people off last night. The Falkenrohr boss explained who you are, and I think it's pretty clear we're all on the same side here. That ... wasn't so clear when I saw you."

She looked around to make sure no one else was listening, then went on. "One thing puzzles me, though. We all had an interest in seeing a certain person who hangs out over there --" she tipped her head in the direction of the mushroom woods -- "get what is coming to him. You were happy enough when you got here, according to Tom-- according to one of the security guys here. Said you had the bad guy in custody. But then, all of a sudden, the bad guy isn't there."

Her eyes narrowed. "So where is he, and what became of him?"

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Yeah, I think letting Udo and Fumiko going their own way is a good idea for now. If Al comes back into it he can always right back in./OOC

Jade and Leo recovered quickly from their surprise at the unexpected appearance of Elke. They took a seat as she made her inquiries.

"Not a clue." The blacksmith replied. "Unless one of our magic using companions decided to whisk him away, and Gods-only-know what reason they'd have for doing that."

"Khoo and his missus joined up with Jade a favour. They didn't know about the mushroom wizard until she told them about him."

"Maybe Fumiko has something to do with it? She did kind of turn up out of thin air after all." She gave Elke a critical look. "What interest is a deranged mage hermit to you anyway? Does the organisation I assume you're with have a special interest in him?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, exit Fumiko and Udo for the moment. As for Elke, it's a little hard to write coherently for her here, as her original reasons for coming to Ester -- to check out the Falkenrohr -- became irrelevant after some stuff that Al wrote. A little improvisation that I hope will be consistent with the way you were setting things up. And to go along with that, Anna-Lisa doing what Anna-Lisa does best, jumping to a completely bogus, and weird, conclusion:]

"What interest is a deranged mage hermit to you anyway? Does the organisation I assume you're with have a special interest in him?"

The temperature in the room once again dropped a few degrees, although not as far as they had the previous night with Leo's "introduction" to Elke. "My organization's interests are my organization's business," she said coldly. "I will say that they involve that --" what did Tom Odd call him? -- "'mushroom mage' you say you had in the bag for a while. We don't want him causing trouble." She did not say for whom. "Problem is, he's not in the bag any more, and I want to know where he is. I --"

She didn't get to complete the sentence, as the door burst open and a positively glowing Anna-Lisa swept in, unaccompanied by the still-slumbering Khoo. "Oooh, I bet I know!" she smiled triumphantly. "Strange and exotic magic! In strange and exotic places! On a strange and exotic character, even! How could he possibly have wound up anywhere other than --"

She paused for dramatic effect...

"The Southern Continent!"

Back in his room in the inn, Khoo whimpered in his sleep, although he wouldn't remember it when he woke up.

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Leo appreciated a flair for the dramatic.

"Then, by golly, fair damsel, I say the stars have surely aligned! The Southern continent calls to us! Plus I know where we can find a ship."

Jade held up a forestalling hand at the antics of the two most theatrical of their group.

"Assuming we even go there, Maud, was it? Would you or your people be accompanying us? if, hypothetically, we were to find your mushroom-addled interest and deliver him to you, how much would that be worth?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Maud" just about spilled her milk. "By Luminosita's Crotch Crabs," she spluttered, "if I have to add seasickness on top of the morning sickness, I'll just die ... or hope to. No, this is your trip, not mine. Besides, I honestly have doubts that that guy wound up on the Sou--"

It was too late. Anna-Lisa was already out the door, heading for the formerly quiet lodge where she and Khoo had spent the night and Khoo was still asleep, at rather faster than a trot. But her voice could be heard in the distance. "Oooo... An ADVENTURE! WAKE UP, LOVER!"

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Morning sickness? Oh, congratulations!" Jade said, pointedly ignoring the wistful look Leo was getting in his eye. "But, if by chance, we do find your man there... money?"

"I hear it's hot in the southern continent." Eve added. "We'll need to drink lots of clear liquids, gin, vodka... stuff like that."

"If not." Leo said, coming out of his reverie. "We're mercs for hire after all. So if you and yours have jobs that need doing..."

"People that need negotiating with... things to go mysteriously missing..."

"...there's a man called Rufus Latimer in Rinkaiel who'd be happy to make your acquaintance."

"...wagons that need de-wheeling... virgins de-flowering..."

"Eve, have you been drinking?"

"5'o'clock was sixteen hours ago." She giggled.