Errant Road- discussion thread

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Errant Road- discussion thread

Post by Jack Rothwell »

It just occurred at me after staring at the OOC discussion forum with a (slightly vacant) stare that there doesn't seem to be a 'general' thread regarding the story where people can just share their thoughts and feelings with about story-lines, characters, etc, etc. I mean, (OOC /OOC) works well for side-notes and short messages, but not for the more long-winded rambling a geek like me prefers.

If the popular opinion is this thread is unneeded, this can always be deleted to oblivion or sink to the bottom of the page like a digital rock.

So, any opinions on the current events on errant road? Issues to raise? Compliments about cute kobolds to pay out? :D

EDIT- NO SPOILERS!!!!11111ONEONE
Last edited by Jack Rothwell on August 12th, 2012, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Errant Road- discussion thread

Post by Graybeard »

I've had similar thoughts; thanks for raising this idea and starting this thread.

A problem with a "general discussion" thread -- nothing that should keep us from having one, but a thing to watch out for if we do -- is that it risks getting into spoiler space. What's been happening right now (August 2012) as the thread launches is a good example. It would be very difficult (for me, at least) to discuss some of the apparent oddities of the "plot" line, such as it is, without getting into things that are still waiting to see the light of day. But we can work with it.

One thing about this thread: it isn't just for players. I'd be very interested to see comments by people who are reading Errant Road but not playing.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Agreed on all points, Grey. Keeping a 'no-spoiler' rule going shouldn't be difficult. So, in the interests of using the thread...

I should say I really liked the collaborative effort on figuring out Goriel's culture, and the story which unrolled once the group landed. I wasn't surprised how many threads we racked up there considering the dramatic scene change from travelling. The differing society gave a lot of the characters the chance to work in different roles and gave them extra depth.

Wish I'd put something into coming up with the city actually, but I wound up swamped with work-related stuff and didn't have time to focus on much beyond what was going on the story-threads. I suck.

Anyone got a favorite scene or scenes that took place there? I can think of a few...
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Anyone got any knowledge on or ideas for what might happen if a certain kobold used ill-advised enhancement magic on a certain overall-wearing beaver?

Random question I know, I've just been pondering the idea.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The mind positively boggles.

While we're speculating, any ideas what a great big honker of a kinetic-energy weapon would do to a helium-filled gasbag? We may be about to find out.

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

An enormous gas-explosion that kills everyone aboard?

Or a puncture followed by a hair-raising and unplanned landing?
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Hopefully I'll be driving things forward with the Port Lorrel thread soon, juggling two threads about the same story for too long will make my brain melt and dribble out my nose.

Thoughts on the Ralkin plot?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

So is the intention to try to merge the Southern Continent and Ralkin threads at some point? I really have no reaction to the Ralkin thread, as I don't have a character there and it has exceeded my own capacity for keeping things straight. Seems well written and well played, though.

If you don't have enough to do already :mrgreen: , the resolution of events in Goriel offers an opportunity, but not a necessity, to reactivate things involving Layla and the Silver Hands. (Hm -- sounds like a rock band, doesn't it?) That isn't urgent, though. For the time being we can assume that all proceeds quietly there, with Layla and Eve learning some magic while everyone else gets on with their respective businesses.

Incidentally, as always, newcomers are welcome in any and all of these threads. If someone wants to run in a character who fits better in Rinkaiel, that thread can be reactivated for that reason as well.

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Thanks Gray. I always worry when I'm in the driving seat of a plot that it's going to turn to crap without me noticing (can anyone ever view their own work free of bias?) and yeah, I'm aiming to merge the threads either when Tam and co enter the port the first time on their way to the southern continent (if the Ralkin have established themselves well enough to start making some changes) or after schenanigans have taken place in the southern continent and the troupe have departed Grendell for the final showdown.

Strange to think that this whole plot came about because of one slip of the tounge by Jade within earshot of Jaime about a thousand threads ago.

I'm up for restarting that story on that subject. It wasn't a problem it being inactive given the relatively peaceful situation the groups were in. I think coming back several days later with Eve and Layla in a magic lesson might be a good way to start it off. If you've got plot ideas i'd love to hear them.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Figured I'd bump this up again since we're headed to a crossroads, or maybe 'merger' would be a better word. I'll try to get Prison Break caught up with the new thread so the action can go ahead, basically that leaves about a day game-time to kill on the ship ride back. It might be a good idea for a little character development, especially with sensei back in the story, tammy's state of mind (may Al forgive me for my cruelty to her), plus, didn't khoo have a book-type project he was intending to work on? I find it easy to picture him sitting in a cabin, making notes or a journal on the crystalnet or something similar.

These are just random ideas I'm throwing around, I thought it would be a good contrast to the violence the group was just engaged in.

What did everyone think of the Return thread? I can't really have an unbiased view of the thing and I'd appreciate the feedback. And on a completely unrelated note, does anyone have an idea for the name of the next thread? 'Port Lorrel, part 5' would be correct numberwise but not really linked to the theme of the story.