OOC - Character Workshop

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: OOC - Character Workshop

Post by Graybeard »

Creos wrote:Hmmm... any chance character creation for the game is still open? This looks like it could be a lot of fun, but if I'm too late I doubt it will be the end of me ^_^
Sure, always room for more. Suggest you get up to speed by reading both Kiyoka threads and the Port Lorrel thread, which are where there's activity. Port Lorrel, in particular, is in a state where someone could very easily wander in and attach him/herself to the group of travelers now leaving the World Traveler Inn.

What manner of character did you have in mind?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Creos
New Poster

Post by Creos »

I'm still pondering a bit on what to play, and I'll want check over the sections of story involving ancient ruins and such before putting forward a concrete idea, but I'm considering something akin to Dwarven or Elven construct, probably similar to the crystal growing trees protecting Anilis' Tomb/Vacation home, undoubtably broken and with huge memory gaps if only because I'm not gonna be an expert on Poe's universe and it's as yet unwritten history. Hardly something that would fit into a story right now it's sounding like but that will give me time to construct something really workable, assuming it could be allowed at all.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Creos wrote:I'm still pondering a bit on what to play, and I'll want check over the sections of story involving ancient ruins and such before putting forward a concrete idea, but I'm considering something akin to Dwarven or Elven construct, probably similar to the crystal growing trees protecting Anilis' Tomb/Vacation home, undoubtably broken and with huge memory gaps if only because I'm not gonna be an expert on Poe's universe and it's as yet unwritten history. Hardly something that would fit into a story right now it's sounding like but that will give me time to construct something really workable, assuming it could be allowed at all.
I'm not sure I get your concept here. You mean you're talking about creating a "character" that's an immobile hunk of hardware? Could be done, I suppose, but your opportunities for interaction with the other players may be rather limited. But give it a try; there are plenty of weird things already running around the Errant-Road-verse...

Creos
New Poster

Post by Creos »

Lol... Immobile could be very interesting... but it's hard to get in the way of plots that way. I meant something that's likely some fusion of the organic and... for lack of a better term, technological... Magitech is close to steal a term out of Exalted I suppose, but it still doesn't quite fit. An organic machine perhaps? Hmm... how would you describe the crystal trees that kept out the elves?

Oh well. Either way, it would be interesting to attempt to play something so alien. Alone for so long with only a handful of companions at best. I mean, look at what it did to the Paedagogusi, or at least I attribute their current mindsets to all that time locked together ^_^ I don't intend to be less mobile than anyone else, but... you spark more options with that. I guess I'll be reading a bit more to see what we have so far before I brush against anyone elses ideas too closely though.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Creos wrote:Lol... Immobile could be very interesting... but it's hard to get in the way of plots that way. I meant something that's likely some fusion of the organic and... for lack of a better term, technological... Magitech is close to steal a term out of Exalted I suppose, but it still doesn't quite fit. An organic machine perhaps? Hmm... how would you describe the crystal trees that kept out the elves?

Oh well. Either way, it would be interesting to attempt to play something so alien. Alone for so long with only a handful of companions at best. I mean, look at what it did to the Paedagogusi, or at least I attribute their current mindsets to all that time locked together ^_^ I don't intend to be less mobile than anyone else, but... you spark more options with that. I guess I'll be reading a bit more to see what we have so far before I brush against anyone elses ideas too closely though.
So... like a glorified golem or something? Are you thinking humanoid or not at all?

The Dwarves cooked up some pretty crazy things, so there's a lot of room to play there. Just keep in mind that they weren't what you might call magical... they were technology-driven, though it's possible they were at a level where there's little distinction.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Mojinr
Forum Trainee

Post by Mojinr »

Are there any particular types of characters lacking in the storyline? At least maybe Race or gender-wise? I was kinda scanning through the profiles and it seemed like alot of human males, mostly gun-users or magic-users.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Mojinr wrote:Are there any particular types of characters lacking in the storyline? At least maybe Race or gender-wise? I was kinda scanning through the profiles and it seemed like alot of human males, mostly gun-users or magic-users.
Well, of the currently active players, we have:
  • Argus: Human, male, middle-aged, mage
  • Grope: Troll, male, middle-aged (by troll standards), sword swinger
  • Jamie: Human, indeterminate (at least publicly), young, gunslinger
  • Jonathan: Human, male, young(?), mage(?)
  • Kureji: Human, female, young, mage (berserk sub-category)
  • Layla: Human, female, young, Gewehr Wraith (assassin? gunslinger?)
  • Lucas: Human, male, youngish, mage
  • Marcus: Human, male, young, "deathmage" (definitely not a garden-variety mage)
  • Roger: Human, male, youngish, gunslinger -- hasn't been active for a while
  • Toivo: Human, male, youngish, mage
  • Tsubasa: Human(?), female, young, difficult to describe
Remember that there is neither need nor desire for characters here to conform to "character classes" as defined in various commercial RPGs. Fitting into the Poe-verse is more important than proclaiming oneself a mage, assassin, etc. That said, the missing ingredients are half elves (although at least one is present as an NPC) and priests/"clerics"/religious figures. Both pose challenges to play. Half elves are constantly on the run from elven rangers and may be limited in how they can participate as a result -- no such thing as a live, high-profile half elf. "Religious" characters have no such constraints, and could add some color to the mix, but are a lot of work to set up and keep consistent with the Poe-verse.

Wanna adopt someone from the Veracian mission to start with? I've set up a bunch of NPCs there, and while a few are "reserved" for plot development, others could transition easily into regular player characters. Let me know if you'd like to go this way and I'll private-message you some stuff about what they're like -- subject to your own interpretation, of course. If you'd rather create a character from scratch, that's fine too.

Mojinr
Forum Trainee

Post by Mojinr »

Yeah, the character I was creating would have fit into the Poe-verse, but ultimate would have been a fusion of some the most saturated, err, popular choices for character. Male, human, mage-gunslinger, youngish, etc... I decided I didn't want to beat the dead horse.

And yeah, I'd like to browse some Veracian mission NPCs for adoption. Also, is it too much trouble to request a short summary of previous events? I understand if you'd prefer players read the posts and before diving though.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Mojinr wrote:And yeah, I'd like to browse some Veracian mission NPCs for adoption. Also, is it too much trouble to request a short summary of previous events? I understand if you'd prefer players read the posts and before diving though.
OK. I'll private-message you some stuff shortly.

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Imp-Chan wrote:Okay, I finally remembered what the NPC character was that I'd meant to add. Ironic that I forgot, since this happy little for-now NPC has acute amnesia.

Name: Most folks call him Selvay, after the tiny town in northwest Farrel where they found him, but he's pretty sure that's not really his name. He just can't quite recall what his name IS.
I'm thinking it may be time for this long-rumored but never-seen fellow to put in an appearance, probably in the Volkanenborg thread. Impy, you want to pull any strings with him, or is he fair game?