OOC - Character Workshop

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: OOC - Character Workshop

Post by Graybeard »

Fair enough. :lol: OK, a fish it stays, and if there's a problem with canon, we'll deal with it ...

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
ComradeHavok
Free Under My Black Flag

Post by ComradeHavok »

Alright, cool.

Oh, and I'm actually planning to give him more of a Morgan Freeman-esque accent.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

I should probably mention here that there is a fairly good chance that another new thread will be opening soon, on the mysterious "Southern Continent" that has come up a few times in the game, but has never been mentioned in Errant Story itself and may well not exist there. That one, to first approximation, will be a complete free-for-all, with the only constraint being that it basically work the way the Poe-verse does (i.e., same interplay between magic and technology although the Southern Continent will be technologically backward; "balanced" characters that don't have superpowers and do have frailties; stuff like that). The geography, ecology and politics have yet to be worked out; there are a few things in the game already for which we need to maintain some consistency (e.g. here -- Brother Miguel was born on the Southern Continent -- here, and here), but that can obviously be done. Note that a couple of the races mentioned in the "Playable Races" thread (the cat people, now being called "kobolds" elsewhere in the game, and the "impchen") are specifically intended to have the Southern Continent as a point of origin, which will give plenty of additional scope for creative role playing.

Stay tuned to see whether this new thread does "light," and in the mean time, if you want to either design a character or engage in some world building, post away.

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Name: Desirée
Origin: Snamish
Race: Half-Elven

Family: Desirée is the daughter of the elf peregin Drusia and a Veracian soldier (human) that Drusia had a fling with some years back. She has three living half-siblings, as well as assorted cousins about Snamish.

Vocation: Desirée is a half-elven priestess of Anilis. This would be odd anywhere but Snamish, where (thanks to Drusia) the elven gods are the main religion for the half-elves. She is very dedicated to her faith, which (due to Drusia's interpretations) is a religion reminicent of the worship of Aphrodite and Isis, heavily focused on sexuality and fertility. Desirée has not yet chosen to have children (she, like most residents of Snamish, is well versed in the contraception spell), but assumes that someday she will. She is adept at priestly magic (defense and healing) and her connection with the sensual divine causes her to be rather adept at seduction/mind-control magic, although she uses this only rarely. She has never killed, and if pressed into a combat situation is more likely to run and hide than fight. Or, more likely in a RP group, use her powers to distract the enemy and then run.

Appearance: Desirée is an attractive half-elf with long blonde hair. Her particular hair color is a combination of her father's redish-blond hair mixed with her mother's platnium blond, producing a deep golden hue. Her eyes are blue, and she is about 5' 7" tall, short for a half-elf (as her mother is short for an elf). Desirée is slimmer than her mother (who filled out some during childbirth). She generally wears light-weight vestments of Anilis, dark crimson in color (since no holy colors for the elven gods are given, I decided that Drusia chose red for her idalized version of the church of Anilis). When not in church atire, Desirée prefers light-weight dresses. She does not have any sort of combat equipment.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Oooohh. GREAT concept you've got there. I'm looking forward to seeing this one in action.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Could get interesting... Lillith and Desiree, two priestesses of different faiths? They'll either get on famously or get on like the Maginot Line...
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sareth wrote:Could get interesting... Lillith and Desiree, two priestesses of different faiths? They'll either get on famously or get on like the Maginot Line...
It'll be interesting to role-play it, but I note that Lillith has already shown awareness of the elven ghods, without any particular problems -- although I do wonder what the "something less pleasant" was all about.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Well, I can reveal that easily enough, and it could well play into things. It's a distaste for the elven gods and the Pedos. To her mind, if they were such great guides and all, why did they abandon their people, including their half-elf children? Of course, she's been opening up to new ideas owing to exposure to Sister Rose, Drusia, Argus, etc... So depending on *how* it goes down, she could be quite respectful.

Could be.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Anyone got any suggestions for what type of character I should create to join 'The Road to Snamish' thread? Better yet, could anyone tell me concisely what the dilly-o is going on in there atm?

Good character btw Drusia.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Jack Rothwell wrote:Anyone got any suggestions for what type of character I should create to join 'The Road to Snamish' thread? Better yet, could anyone tell me concisely what the dilly-o is going on in there atm?
The "what's going on" part defies simple explanation. The thread has been running now for over two years and a vast amount of backstory has accumulated. You might find it useful to read the "Thread summaries" page at the HKV, which gives a capsule version of the whole shebang. It's slightly out of date -- I need to add stuff for the most recent closed topic, "The Artifact of Absonial" -- but at least gives an overall sense of the action.

This said, a capsule version of what's going on "now": The party is about to enter a carefully concealed half-elf sanctuary called Snamish, somewhere in the southern half of Veracia, that is about half Santuariel from Errant Story itself, half Shangri-La. The town's founder, and indeed ancestor of a fair fraction of the populace, is a Sarine-like elf named Drusia Valis (played by Drusia the player), who goes to great lengths to protect the place and is bringing two half-elf characters to town, both to rescue them from elven pursuers and to increase the "diversity" of Snamish. (Ms. Valis is also the ex-many-times-great-grandmother-in-law of my character Sister Rose, who was married to a half elf from Snamish; her husband's death before the game started has become a major plot driver, and when this crew is done at Snamish, they'll be journeying to the sea-side site where he was killed. Parenthetically, yeah, an awful lot of widows and widowers are among the characters I've created. Don't tell my wife, please. ;) ) They are being stalked by at least three Forces of Evil: a nasty, vaguely Sarna-like elven ranger named Bauti, a Tsuirakuan anthropology professor named Arsoro Kurou who has a bone to pick with Drusia, and a Tsuirakuan military officer named Haniko Goto whose motives are ... complex, but she has a deep-seated dislike for another of the player characters, expatriate Tsuirakuan mage Argus Cleiviein. These three have temporarily been sent on a wild goose chase (sketched in the "Background Noise" thread) that may or may not become a separate thread in its own right, but they'll be back.

There's a lot more to it than this summary -- several player characters are getting involved in romances, interactions with a sinister fringe sect of the Veracian Church known as the "Millenarians" are heating up, and there's still a serious BBEG lurking in the background -- but that will get you semi-oriented. So what kind of character fits? The easiest would be a half elf living in Snamish who's getting bored with his/her cloistered existence (even though Snamish sounds like a pretty nice place, one's horizons are limited there) and wants to join the group and see the world. Other possibilities would be a naive young priest of the mainstream Veracian church (Sister Rose is part of another highly unorthodox "denomination" and is definitely not mainstream), Veracian military, etc. There are also a couple of "henchman" types who have been traveling with the main party and are available for "adoption" and development.

One last thing: this set of threads has been enormous fun. It is long on character development and exploration of relationships, and short on hack and slash. I think you'd like it there, and other newcomers are also enthusiastically welcome.