Stone Man Pass

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: Stone Man Pass

Post by Sareth »

Indulgently, Lillith smiled at Brad. "I think that what you are seeing is the common faith we all have deep inside. We all believe in something more than just what we can see. Luminosita is... someone to believe in, and so... in a way, this is Luminosita." She turned back to Kim. "What do you see when you look at the statues?"
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Harker was clearly at war with himself. Finally, he got to his feet. "This better be good..."
Argus smiled. "Good boy." They walked back over to Drusia.

I sit down in what I hope is a non-threatening fashion.

"First, Harker," I tell him, "I want you to know that I understand where you're coming from. Elves are scary. I'm an elf, and that other elf who was hunting Lillith recently still terrifies me. She was the sort of ranger who burns whole towns to get one Errant."

"You already know I'm not like that," I say, with a brief nod to Lillith. "You also know that I am dangerous in other ways. I'm an assassin. I'm really good at killing a single, well guarded individual. What I can't do is blow up a town - I don't have that sort of magical talent."

I smile, looking at Argus. "I'm not positive, but I think your boss does have that sort of talent. And, between the three of us, magic like that scares the piss out of me. I've seen what battle magic can do to a person up close, and if I never see it again..." I shake my head. "Anyway. I guess what I wanted to say was, it's smart of you to be scared of me. I'm dangerous. Just like it's smart of me to be scared of your boss. But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy one another's company while we travel together."

"So," I conclude, "With that in mind, do you think it would be okay for you and I to get to know one another a little better? Because I think I'd enjoy modeling nude for a sculpture or three, if you're interested."

--Drusia
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Harker was nodding grudgingly as Drusia spoke. Up until she dropped that last bombshell. Which made him blink. Repeatedly. "You would?"

Drusia nodded. Argus started to slowly back away.

Harker blinked again and suddenly looked down at his hand. A piece of wood had suddenly materialized there. Harker had drawn it out on pure instinct. With a cough, Harker put the wood away. He looked at Drusia, uncertain. "Sorry. I'm not used to people actually going along with this stuff." He broke out into a smile. "But I'm willing to give it a shot!"

Argus was hurrying away now. Harker and Drusia are getting along. Dear weave, it's the end of my sanity. Oh, well. At least that little conflict was resolved easily enough.

...How was he going to hide Harker's creations from... everyone?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"In a way, this is Luminosita."

The smile that spread across Brad's face was like the rising of the sun, not for any great spiritual insight he'd just gained into himself, or the statue, or Luminosita. Rather, it was for what this declaration said about Lillith.

She believed after all.

His joy was complete.

Meanwhile, Kim's puzzlement was growing. "I see -- a statue," she said. "It's -- ugly. It's making a face. What else is there to see?"

-----------

What's taking them so long? Sister Rose wondered. The camp had been struck, the body buried; it was time to go.

The Church of Luminosita, or at least its Reformed branch, wasn't hung up on dead bodies. Once a soul had been gathered into Luminosita's Presence (or, less auspiciously, sent off to its eternal punishment), it didn't have any need for the body any more, so what was the point of keeping a decaying hunk of flesh around? The Church, even the Reformed Church, still conducted more or less elaborate funerals when asked (paid...) to do so, but they were more for the benefit of the bereaved than for compliance with any teachings of Luminosita. Rose speculated sometimes that these rites might be a remnant of the ancient animist beliefs that had filled the land before the coming of the Church. Maybe; it wasn't high on the list of things that concerned her.

Still, she did wonder about the woman they'd buried. Who would miss her? What loved ones did she leave behind? Would some man -- or some child (she didn't want to think about that) -- be waiting anxiously for her return from whatever errand had sent her across Stone Man Pass, only to be devastated when the tall man overcame the compulsion Maduin had laid on him and brought the terrible news home? Or had this been another lost soul wandering the world alone? Like ...

Stop that. Argus and Drusia were coming back from wherever they'd gone, looking more comfortable than they had in a while; that was good. "I wonder what became of that weird poet from yesterday," Rose mused as they returned, just to change the subject in her own mind, hoping it didn't break the mood for the others.

----------

"I have some extraordinary news to report," the new man to the Convergence Committee said to his (magically) assembled colleagues, far away from the pass. "My agent believes he has re-established contact with the candidate Wizard Out Of The West..."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Lillith thought about this for a little. She walked over to the statue, gently caressing it. "Nothing? You don't feel any kind of stirring within you when you see it? Any desire to see it as something you might be able to talk with?" She turned. "If there is nothing with the statue, is there something that does that for you?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Kim looked utterly perplexed. "N-no..."

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus shrugged at Rose's mumbled query. "Weave only knows. I'm wondering if we'll run into him again."
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin wasn't listening to the byplay. His eyes rested on the trees. In his heart, he was saying a silent farewell.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: So do we want to move on to the pass and beyond? Or does Lillith have anything more to say to try to get a sense of Kim's spirituality, if any? Personally, I'm ready to move.

Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

[OOC: Ready to move on. /OOC]