Stone Man Pass

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Stone Man Pass

Post by Drusia »

"Porpington Bree, that weird poet we met on the road, was wearing one of these, wasn't he?" Rose said, lifting the lens (cracked and distorted, but still recognizable) so that Drusia could see it. "I thought I recognized him when we got here earlier, but he denied that that was his name, or that we'd ever seen him before. But you don't see things like this every day..."

I nod. "I thought there was something off about him," I tell her. "And your earlier encounter was equally off. So. Who was he, why was he stalking us, and who blew him up?"

I kneel down and pick up a piece of shattered crystal. I sniff it. "Huh." I hold it up, showing it to Rose. "This sort of bomb... it reminds me of an elven design used during the war." By both sides, I will admit if and when necessary. "More recently, I've seen ones that were manufactured in Tsuiraku as well." Of course, black markets being what they are, it wouldn't be hard for other groups to get their hands on them. For that matter, the Einsigerum might have some left over ordinance sitting around, to use or sell.

"So," I ask, "Any idea who's trying to kill us this time?"

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Any idea who's trying to kill us this time?"

Sister Rose thought about it, but not for long. "Wrong premise, I think," she said. "If whoever caused this explosion had wanted to kill us, there were plenty of chances to do it when Porpington Bree saw us on the road, or last night, or when we got here to the inn, or lots of other times. He was the target, not us. So now the question is: who'd want to kill him? He seemed about as harmless as they get, an eccentric wandering bard of no particular skill -- certainly not compared to present company." (Would Drusia acknowledge the offhand compliment? Rose really didn't expect a response, but might as well offer it.) "I can't possibly imagine how anyone could have an incentive to dispose of a man like that. Really, about the biggest offense I can see him giving is to Maduin, over his ridiculous fashion sense ... And just in case you're wondering, I'm not serious about that."

She pocketed the monocle; the late Porpington Bree certainly didn't need it any more, and it might prove useful later. "Why don't you go on back to the inn?" she said. "I have one more thing I need to do here, and it'll probably look pretty silly to an elf, but I feel a need to do it anyway. I'll be there in five minutes or less."

Rose didn't wait for an answer, but turned back to the bones that constituted the largest intact reminder of the man they had been blasted out of. I stopped worrying about the rites and rituals of our church a long time ago; it's the way you live that matters, not the particular forms you observe or the ceremonial words that you speak. But this is the least I can do for this poor man.

Rose bent to administer last rites to the man whose corporeal body had dispersed to the four winds, hoping that his soul was getting better treatment.

[OOC: On that note, is it OK if we open a new thread? This one has gone over our usual length, so we're due. We can pick up seamlessly from where we're leaving off with this one, as soon as Rose gets back to the inn.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"He seemed about as harmless as they get, an eccentric wandering bard of no particular skill -- certainly not compared to present company."

I smile. "Thank you, Rose."

"Why don't you go on back to the inn?" she said. "I have one more thing I need to do here, and it'll probably look pretty silly to an elf, but I feel a need to do it anyway. I'll be there in five minutes or less."

"All right," I say. So, she's giving him last rights. I'm not sure he deserves them, but oh well. I turn and head back.

Lillith and the other half-elf seem to be getting along, in an awkward sort of way. I approach calmly, nodding to Lillith.

"How're you both feeling?" I ask. Before Lillith can reply, I add "Also, I didn't catch your name," to the other half-elf. Hopefully the newcomer will follow Lillith's lead. If not, well, we'll see.

-- Drusia

OOC: Ready for a new thread whenever.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

OOC: Likewise
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: OK, new topic, up and running here. I'll leave this one open till morning so that loose ends can get tied up, then lock it, followed by a move to the "Rear View Mirror" later in the week.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.