Tsuiraku-town

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
kagome_kino
Forum Regular

Re: Tsuiraku-town

Post by kagome_kino »

OOC: go for it?

Maya nodded "ok." she yawned before laying back down and curling up in her sleep seeming to have no issue about where she was or just being told to go back to bed.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, so on to the next morning...]

As usual, Layla was up early, rising while the rest of the household was peacefully snoring, even the infants. She stretched and set out for her usual morning run, which would double as a chance to check the perimeter of the property... and to do some thinking.

Something was going on in Tsuiraku-town, there was no doubt about that, and she couldn't figure out what it was or exactly what it had to do with her -- although she was convinced that "nothing" wasn't the answer to that last question. She hadn't been able to get much out of Rhett, except that he'd managed to get a face-to-face with Kitaura, hadn't enjoyed it, and hadn't learned much, except that the Tsuirakuan seemed more interested in the delivery Rhett had made (more accurately, had had taken away from him by the muggers) than in all the corpses that were accumulating around him. That was interesting. The Tsuirakuans were not exactly casual about death, a fact that had ... complicated ... the Gewehr operation in Kiyoka, and probably contributed to its failure. What kind of position might the man have that would put him so at odds with the way his people thought? (Maybe one like mine, she thought for a moment, then dismissed it.) Anyway, his instruction to Rhett to help with "exotic weeds" at the vineyard actually sounded encouraging, sort of. At least it didn't sound like the full force of Tsuirakuan officialdom (and battlemages) would be descending on the vineyard, and her, any time soon, although there remained the question of just what was so bad about those "weeds," whoever they were.

The property looked undisturbed, with one notable exception: the magical wards around that shack at the far end had been much expanded since the last time she saw it. She didn't need her nascent magical skills to see that; you could feel the menace now, and there were some pretty obvious magical beams playing in front of the entrance. She made a mental note to investigate that -- carefully -- later, and headed home, to find her mother waiting at the door, holding Zachary... and smiling.

"This little guy is ready for his breakfast," Faye said, passing Layla her son. "While you're taking care of him, I have some news for you from home, news I'm pretty sure you're going to like."

Ace!

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Kincaide
Errant Scholar

Post by Kincaide »

((OOC: Eh, sort of but five men with rifles against Captain Kitaura and his magical goon squad? If Kitaura is half the magical badass he has been made out to be then they wouldn't stand a chance. In fact they were under strict orders to run the hell away if Rhett actually went down. The last thing Rhett wants is an angry Kitaura on the warpath and hunting down his friends. They only reason I placed them there was as insurance against a Mexican standoff... which did not happen.

Anyway, new topic might be a good idea.))

Rhett was sitting on the front porch with a oiled rag and Gram, a thin cigar hung from his lips.. For once he was missing his characteristic coat and gloves as he polished the strangely dull metal. Gram held an edge better than any material he had ever seen and did not seem to rust but maintaining his weapons was an old habit. It was almost the same as meditation, a ritual action that helped him relax and think about other things.

He shifted the cigar from one corner of his mouth to the other. One of the things his father had taught him was that he must always take responsibility for his actions and he was at least partly responsible for the situation Layla and her folks were in. He held the blade up and studied it, watching the morning light move over the metal. It was was his responsibility to help them deal with this problem.

"Reminds me of the old days, might get a touch nostalgic," he said to himself, of course he had more than a few souvenirs from the old days, some of which were not the most happy memories.
Last edited by Kincaide on May 11th, 2010, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Layla didn't particularly like the smell of cigars, even though she knew her mother occasionally indulged. As long as Rhett kept it outside, though, there was no problem. She noted with approval that he was taking care to maintain his sword -- approval, and a bit of bemusement. A good craftsman took care of his tools, for sure. But how was a dwarven sword a "tool" for a courier? Well, he'd need to defend himself on some of his gigs ... not that the sword had helped him much with that magical mugging.

Speaking of which... "I need to go back to Tsuiraku-town today," she said to Rhett. "I'm mainly in town to be learning some magic, as much as to get this vineyard back turning a profit. Before he died, Kinabalu told me that the Tsuirakuans had set up that teaching lab to prepare for opening a warp gate in Rinkaiel, and they'll still need it for that even if the first teacher got killed. That's why they're going ahead with it even after his death." I guess. "Mom will watch Zachary while I'm there. Are you staying here or going back into Tsuiraku-town yourself? If I read you correctly, you have some unfinished business there..."

Kincaide
Errant Scholar

Post by Kincaide »

When he realized he was not alone, Rhett pulled his gloves back on quickly, "That depends on what you want me to do. I'm following your orders for a while and I ain't got anything in town that can't wait," when a man traveled as much as he did, attachments to locations became tenuous at best. He did not have a home so much as places where he slept and kept his things. Most of his more valuable belongings were on Captain Ritter's ship where he knew they would be looked after.

"Kinabalu's commission will last me for a while so I have no pressing needs at the moment," he slipped Gram back into its sheath. Ever since that incident at the Temple he had a new respect for the blade, even if he did not understand exactly what happened back there.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Layla thought for a moment. She didn't really expect to give this man "orders." But if he insisted ...

"Okay, as soon as the shops start to open back up, let's head back into Tsuiraku-town," she said. "We have some fact finding to do..."

[OOC: And on that note, if anybody wants a parting shot, take it, and the new thread will start tomorrow.]

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: OK, new thread open, so I'm locking this one. We can just pick up there where we left off, with no time lag, etc.