Gervasiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Re: Gervasiel

Post by Drannin »

Argus was startled. "You read the paper on on shifter-frame disjunction?" He was honestly surprised. "Huh. I'd almost forgotten about that old project. Pretty important, though... helped me greatly refine my magical control over the inorganic, and let me branch out to inanimate organic materials like wood. I was pretty proud of..." Argus suddenly realized that he had instinctively gone into lecture mode. He blushed slightly. "Ah... excuse me. It's been a while since anyone's brought that up. Yes, that was my paper."

Argus sighed. "As for dropping out of sight, I got involved in a rather secret project soon afterward, one which didn't end well. I'm not particularly popular back in Tsuirakushiti these days. And I'm here now... pretty much due to the workings of fate." His explanation concluded for the time being, Argus had his own questions. "Now, how does that paper relate to the matter at hand, if I may ask?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Now, how does that paper relate to the matter at hand, if I may ask?"

Sister Rose had to admit, she was pretty interested in the answer to that one herself.

Professor Avner Indianel wore the uncomfortable look of someone who'd opened his mouth when he shouldn't have, and was now looking for a graceful escape. He coughed once and answered. "The site we've been excavating is old -- very old. We've been able to recover some real dwarven artifacts from it -- now don't give me that look, they aren't like the crap you see in the side shows, they're definitely real. As you know, the dwarves didn't have any capability for magic, yet at the same time, some of the artifacts look as if they must have had a magical component at some point. We're trying to get a better handle on just how the dwarves did what they did. It's all very academic, mind you, and I hope it'll get me a publication or two."

And if you find that explanation convincing, I've got some waterfront property in the Northern Desert to sell you, Rose thought.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

It was Maduin's turn to look interested. "Dwarven artifacts, you say? By all means, let's have Dr. Cleiviein take a look at them. Personally, I've always been mildly curious about dwarven society. It's very difficult to study a culture after it's ceased to exist though."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Personally, I've always been mildly curious about dwarven society. It's very difficult to study a culture after it's ceased to exist though."

Professor Avner Indianel fixed Maduin with a long, intent stare, long enough that Sister Rose was starting to find it uncomfortable by the time he spoke. "Well, has it ceased to exist?" he said. "Nobody has seen a dwarf for millennia, that's for certain. But we don't know that they've died out. Every now and then an artifact comes to light that, well, makes people wonder, and by that I don't mean the whackos of that half-baked church."

Rose's discomfort grew, not least because hidden in her personal effects, she still had the weird artifact she'd picked up in Centoriel. Something about it just didn't look ten thousand years old, no matter how good the dwarves had been been at building things to last ...

... Which gave her an idea.

"Kim, Maduin, could you please walk Professor Indianel and Ms. Codoin over to our inn once they're ready?" she asked. "We have a wagon that should fit us all, although it'll be a tight fit. Argus, there's something I need to discuss with you in private..."

[OOC: D, want to do this off-line, in Background Noise, or as a regular part of the thread? Your call.]

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: Offline stuff is happening with Rose and Argus, so don't wait for that. Isn't anybody back at the inn going to do anything to extract more info from Drusia?

I'm on travel at the moment, won't be back until tomorrow morning, so don't let my silence bog anyone down -- can't really write much from a hotel business center....

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]I've been waiting for One of the others to give Lillith a hook...[/OOC]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Graybeard wrote:OOC: Offline stuff is happening with Rose and Argus, so don't wait for that. Isn't anybody back at the inn going to do anything to extract more info from Drusia?
OOC: It's being worked on - there should be something on that up soon.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Sister Rose and Argus are going to be working on something by themselves for a short while over in the "Background Noise" thread. It will be at least slightly spoilerific for stuff happening later, which is why it's there. Feel free to read or not, but they won't be doing anything in this thread until it's transacted, which shouldn't take too long. Meanwhile, just for people to play off of:]

Kim gulped as Rose and Argus headed back to the inn. This business of dealing with other human beings was new to her -- new, and scary. What was she to do now that nice Sister Rose wasn't there to protect her?

"H- help me," she whimpered to Maduin, stepping behind him as Avner Indianel and Rebekah Codoin got into their packs.

---------

Let's get on with it, Brad thought, with uncharacteristic impatience. Rose hadn't really confided much to him about this mysterious mission that she was on. Whatever it was, it was delaying their progress toward a new life -- for Lillith, and for him. (He was probably aware that Suriah had a stake in the outcome as well, but in his most un-Brad-like moment of self-centeredness, he wasn't really paying attention to her.)

"What will we do when we get to Snamish?" he asked Drusia, as much to lift his own mood as to get the answer. He knocked quietly on Drusia's door. "Drusia? Can we talk?" But then the presence of not one, but two, voices from beyond the door suggested that now wasn't the time.

[EDIT: Retconned, twice. This can happen as soon as Drusia and Suriah are no longer en deshabille, but he wouldn't be barging in on them in their current state...]

Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

"Not to worry, sweetling, not to worry." Maduin gave Kim a gentle, comforting smile, taking her hand and tucking it inside of his arm, letting just the faintest slip of magic pass from his skin to hers, a little something to calm her a tiny bit. "I've heard about excavation sites, though I've never been to one myself, but I understand they're supposed to be remarkably interesting places, all sorts of very old . . . things to see," he finished vaguely.

"You know," he added after a moment "I think you'd look simply smashing in a nice daffodil print. Sun dresses are in season at the moment, and I dare say we could get you a nice, broad-rimmed sun hat to go with it. Are you more fond of pink or lavender, dear?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Kim looked at Maduin as though he'd been speaking in an unknown language. Then what he said sank in on her. "P-pink, I guess," she said doubtfully.

Rebekah Codoin and Avner Indianel looked at each other, and an unspoken understanding passed between them. "Go ahead," Indianel said with a smile. "It won't take us long to get out there, so if you want to go shopping first, we'll wait."