Gervasiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: Gervasiel

Post by Sareth »

As soon as Lillith reached the conclusion that this likely was Kurou, she came to two others. The first was that she did NOT want this man to figure out that she wasn't just another worker at the inn. The second, was that she might have an opportunity if the man was even the slightest bit careless. The relaxed and calm atmosphere of the stable, a side effect of her efforts with the stallion, might also have calmed him enough for him to let things slip.

She stepped around Suriah. "I've got this one." She walked over to the indicated horse and stepped into the stall. "Shall I saddle her for you? Oh, and do you need any feed for a journey?" She smiled at the man, just in time to see Brad and Maduin over his shoulder. She quietly (and mildly) swore inside, as the timing could have been much, much better.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"You are most kind," Arsoro Kurou(?) replied, in a surprisingly(?) gracious tone of voice. "Yes, indeed, I shall be traveling out into the countryside. A day's provisions will be useful, and appreciated. I plan to be going to --"

He didn't get to finish the sentence, however, because Brad and Maduin were approaching at speed, concern etched deeply into the one face, something -- else into the other. "Lillith!" Brad gasped. "Thank Luminosita you're all right! I've been so worried about you! And isn't that the mOOF!"

Whatever Maduin did to bring the unfortunate sentence that Brad was about to utter to a thankfully premature conclusion, it was certainly effective, as Brad doubled over, clutching his midsection.

----------

[OOC: OK, proceeding for now minus Dr. Hieronymus; Kincaide, if/when you get back, how about bopping over to the inn to check on your patient and talk shop with Rose... /OOC:]

Sister Rose needn't have worried about Kim running (or time-ninja-ing) off and leaving her and Drusia; the girl was still wobbly on her feet, and a slow pace was all she could manage. Well, she was young and healthy (if probably malnourished until joining the group), and she'd recover fully from the loss of blood.

Probably.

"Don't worry, we're here with you," she said gently. "You'll be safer with us than out on your own, at least until you're healed. Going through that glass window wasn't your best idea ever," she chided, keeping her voice as gentle and comforting as she could.

"I -- I didn't know," Kim puffed. "I -- never touched a clear, sharp rock before. Is it -- magic?"

That's the first time she ever touched glass? Rose thought incredulously. Just what kind of life had this poor girl led before they found her? Under what barbaric conditions had she been raised? Had --

"I HAVE A WHAT?!?!"

Rose and Drusia exchanged looks as pure puzzlement crossed Kim's face. They were still half a block from the inn, but that female voice from the upper floor cut like a knife. Rose was puzzled too; there were no other guests at the inn, but the voice most emphatically wasn't Lillith's. "I guess we'd better find out what that was all about," she said, quickening her pace to the maximum that Kim could sustain.

[OOC: I expect that the conversation between Argus and Fayna, as well as the earlier contribution of Maduin, would be in the Tsuirakuan language; they're all from Tsuiraku, after all. Rose is fluent in Tsuirakuan, and Drusia presumably is too, but Kim most likely has never heard it before, hence her own bewilderment -- not that she'd be much less bewildered if she'd understood it, of course.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

[OOC: Graybeard that is perfect! You totally nailed Maduin's reaction! :lol: /OOC]

"Mind your feet Bradley," Maduin said coolly. "None of the other Veracians seem to have such difficulty with walking. I told you the girl was perfectly capable of handling a dumb animal. I could tell instantly from her demeanor that she's obviously quite experienced."

This wasn't good. Fayna had specifically instructed that he avoid contact with Arsoro if at all possible. Well, the next best thing would be to make a quick exit, ideally without letting Brad let anything else slip.

"Forgive the intrusion ladies," Maduin said with a friendlier smile at Lillith and Suriah. "I'm afraid he's a hopeless chauvinist, and insisted on seeing for himself that the two of you could really manage these beasts. But I see you have another patron to attend to. We'll take our leave. Good day."

Maduin shot Brad a glare that promised far worse than death and dismemberment if he let out so much as a single peep, and chivvied him back out of the stable.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Lillith had to fight back a sigh of relief. The opportunity to find out where he was going had been lost, but at least no one had wound up being found out. With a smile she began saddling the horse, securing a bag of oats in the process. "Will you be returning, sir? We can have a stall ready for you."
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"...An elder sister," Argus repeated, once Fayna's breathing had returned to normal. The poor girl (young woman, he reminded himself) looked as if she had just received the shock of her life... which, Argus she supposed, she had.

Visibly composing herself, Fayna straightened in her chair, trying desperately to regain her composure. "How old were you when..."

"Fourteen."

Fayna blinked. "What."

"You know men in our family have mature features."

Fayna shook her head. "It's austere, and it's a good thing, father." She looked Argus straight in the eye. "So... I have an elder half-sister. Very well. What can you tell me about her." Despite her neutral tone, there was a distinct flash of interest in Fayna's eyes. Unsurprising, Argus supposed. She HAD just learned about a new family member."

"Her name is Lillith. She's in her thirties. She is also a half-elf."

Fayna blinked again. "...Father, is there anything else you've been up to that I should know about?"

You have no idea, Argus thought wryly.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The man they thought might be Arsoro Kurou raised an eyebrow just a fraction, whether at Lillith's question or the sudden appearance of Maduin and Brad or both or something else. [OOC: Actually, someone has just screwed up rather significantly. Watch the "Background Noise" section for something relevant to that screwup; I may not get to it until tonight, the finite duration of lunch breaks being what it is. It'll have a significant spoiler attached. /OOC:] Within a second or so, though, his face had returned to its previous expression of cordial anonymity. "That would be most helpful, miss," he answered Lillith. "I shall be gone overnight, but your accommodations for my horse will be needed again tomorrow. Please do reserve us a stall. You have been very kind." He smiled (not the most pleasant of expressions) and set about filling a saddle bag with wrapped-up parcels from his duffel.

If Lillith had been sensitive to magic, she might have detected a brief susurrus of magical energy passing through the stable as Kurou worked. However, she wasn't, so she didn't.

----------

"What was that all about?" Brad asked Maduin, rather crossly, as soon as they were out of earshot of the stable; his midsection still hurt a little bit, although the main damage was to his pride.

----------

"He's got some kind of magical damping up," Sister Rose observed as she, Drusia and Kim reached the inn. The loud voice had come from either Argus' room or Maduin's. Both lay within the radius of a Privacy spell that she could recognize; she'd used the thing herself back in college (as nearly every magically capable young priest or nun trainee had, to conceal some of their less ... devout ... activities ...), and as a commander in the field, she'd learned to detect it when some of her more magically adept men had done the same thing. Of course, the circumstances were rather different here, and she thought she could guess what they were. "We'd better not intrude. He wouldn't do that without a good reason." They concentrated on getting Kim back settled into her own quarters, noting that the window had already been repaired.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Lillith walked back in from the stable with a smile. She had actually learned something! Something useful! She wasn't just the group damsel in perpetual distress!

As soon as she entered, she went looking for the group. She quickly spotted Maduin and Brad, and walked over to them. She idly swatted at a fly that was buzzing about, failing to do anything more than force it to change its flight path by as few inches. "Brad! Have you seen your cousin? I have something to tell her."
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

"What was that all about?"

Maduin shrugged at Brad, giving him an amused smile. "You are a hopeless chauvinist. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's quite gallant really." He frowned. "It wasn't polite of you to run into my elbow though. You're much bigger and stronger than I am, and you could have injured me."

He glanced away from the big Veracian priest at Lillith's question. "I think she was going to look in on Kim."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Brad isn't particularly "big" by Veracian standards; physically, he's rather average. Of course, that could still look "big" to Maduin. Anyway...]

"Brad! Have you seen your cousin? I have something to tell her."

Brad blinked, so focused on the object of his affection that it took him a moment to register who his "cousin" was. "I -- Rose, you mean? I think she was taking Drusia to look for Kim. I don't know whether she's made it back. Is it anything I can help you with?" Needless to say, his entire being radiated complete willingness to "help" in whatever way possible, including to the grave and beyond.

Meanwhile, Sister Rose was coming to meet them, having settled Kim in to recover from her self-inflicted wounds. "I'll take that message," she smiled from behind Brad, further startling him. "What's going on?"

[OOC: Our net connection is borked, and I may be intermittent for a day or two...]

Caoimhe Faelan
Forum Regular

Post by Caoimhe Faelan »

Suriah had felt like a cornered animal. Everything had happened so quickly - And now they probably think you're some country bumpkin. Lovely.

She had stepped into the stall with the nag, currying her now that she was more agreeable. The calming effect Lillith had placed on the stable had extended to her, too, making it easier for her to accept. She watched the interactions in silence, piecing together something fishy. The hairs on the back of her neck prickled at the feel of magic, and she kept her head down, watching the man discreetly out of the corner of her eye.

I remember him... sort of. He's got the look of someone who don't want to be remembered.