Gervasiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Gervasiel

Post by Drusia »

Argus blinked, taken aback. "Chivalrous?" He thought for a moment. "Well, to a degree. I don't know if he actually cares about being chivalrous, but Kurou does tend to act that way. Mainly, I think, because he thinks someone in his position is supposed to, than any real interest in the matter." Argus paused. "It goes right out the window when he suddenly finds it inconvenient, mind you, so I'd use caution. As with all things regarding Kurou."

I nod. "Good to know. I'll be careful." Relatively speaking, anyway. "How long will it take you to get Harker ready? I'd like to take him with me when I make contact." That way I can serve as a distraction while he gets into position. I plan to have my arrival be rather memorable.

-- Drusia
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus shrugged. "Harker can whip up his runes in a minute or two, and I can enchant them in no time flat. That's easy. The question is, where is Kurou?"

"I think I might know..." Harker mused.

Argus looked down at his familiar, eyebrow raised. "Okay. I kind of disappeared because I wanted to lay low and see if people were talking about Kuou around town. They were. A guy like him tends to creep people out, or at least intimidate them. Anyway, I heard a couple of people talking about him spending a lot of time at that big castle up on the hill. You know, the one we saw on the way in to town? They say it's like he's looking for something..."

Argus felt a chill run down his spine. "Well. I suppose we do know where Kurou is." But what could he be looking for up there? Argus frowned. "And HArker? You're much better at gathering information than I thought."

Harker shifted uncomfortably. "Er... I was sorta hiding in..."

"No. Don't finish that sentence. I don't want to know.."
Caoimhe Faelan
Forum Regular

Post by Caoimhe Faelan »

[OOC: Suddenly going out of town until Thursday. Feel free to move Suriah about. /OOC]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose stiffened momentarily, then made a conscious decision not to give this Father Amalric the satisfaction of getting a rise out of her. She'd seen Amalric's type before: priests who'd logged enough time in the military to have the bearing, without having the chauvinism knocked out of them by the exposure to the wider world that the military gave. (Surely Veracia must be the only country in the world where being in the special-ops branch of the military gave one a wider, more tolerant, less xenophobic view of things than the mainstream church did.) Still, the man was trying to keep his prejudices in check and do his job, only voicing them, not letting them take over his behavior. That was worth something. Probably.

"They're not spies," she said neutrally, "but colleagues in trying to solve a problem for the Church, and traveling with us under Luminosita's Blessings. As you're probably aware, Dr. Cleiviein has even received a dispensation to see things up to the LUMINOSITA'S SECRET level. They may be Tsuirakuans, but they're still on our side here."

Amalric didn't look convinced, but he let it pass. "Very well, then. So let me return to what happened at the gazebo. What, exactly, did you see?"

Rose sighed, organized the recent events in her mind, then launched into the narrative of what she'd seen, Amalric interrupting occasionally to ask a question. I may have misjudged this man, she thought. The "interview" wasn't particularly confrontational once the initial hostility to the Tsuirakuans was overcome. Amalric expressed mild annoyance that Rose had given the late Porpington Bree last rites; "That means we won't be able to learn anything from his remnant life force," he said, surprising her slightly -- that was a rather advanced thaumatic skill to expect of a priest this far out in the boonies. (Now I'm the one being bigoted, she scolded herself.) That was about the extent of it, though, and a silent nod implied he'd gotten all the information he wanted from her.

When she was done, it was her turn for a question. "Now speaking of Tsuirakuans, what do you know about this man Arsoro Kurou who is in town? We've been warned that he may interfere with the mission that brings us here."

Unexpectedly, Amalric chortled. "Kurou? A harmless crank," he said. "He's been poking around the castle ruins, looking for riches of the old kingdom of Lorenzel, he says. There aren't any. Whatever 'riches' that place had got plundered centuries ago, and there's nothing left there now but cobwebs. You can go ask him about it yourself, he's not particularly secretive, he's staying at an inn close to yours, the Road Warrior I think. The town puts up with him because he's polite, and he's paid some of the kids of the town to help him out there, but of course they've found nothing. Now if you will excuse me, I have some more work to do regarding Mr. Bree..."

They were dismissed, and Rose went away marveling at Kurou's ability to hide in plain sight ... but at least there was a name of the place where he was staying, and where more "investigation" might be done.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"Harker can whip up his runes in a minute or two, and I can enchant them in no time flat. That's easy. The question is, where is Kurou?"

I nod, listening to Harker relate the information he's already gathered. Good - he's already proven that he can handle this.

"Castle on the hill," I confirm. "Got it. Alright, Argus, Harker, why don't you get started on those rune things - I'm going to change into something more suitable."

I grab my pack and find somewhere relatively private. First things first, put my hair up in a durable style that both shows off my ears and makes them look smaller than they actually are. My ears are on the smallish side for an elf anyway, and with the right outfit and attitude I'm generally able to pass for a half-elf among humans - hence how I was able to fool Rose and Lillith for a time there. I don't dare use magical concealment - this Kurou is apparently quite the mage.

Now, the outfit. I pull out my dark red dress; it has a Veracian cut, with a high neckline, in the current style for the nobility. That's fine, without artificial assistance I've never been able to manage anything with too much plunge anyway. It is very sleek and tight, covering but accentuating all my curves. I add some of that expensive jewelry I bought back when I met this circus and finish with just a touch of carmine to bring out my lips.

I check the mirror to make sure the results are what I want. Urbane, practical (another benefit of the hairdo) and sensual without being overly sexual (a benefit of the high neckline). The jewelry is elegant without being ostentatious. And finally, the dress is tight at the waist, but loose at the knee, letting me move quickly if necessary.

The whole process takes maybe fifteen minutes. I've got quick changes down to a science, but there's only so fast you can rush hair. I head back to check on Argus and Harker.

I take my time walking up to them, letting the dress and my general appearance make an impression. I smile.

"Ready?" I ask.

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose and Suriah got back to the inn just in time to see Drusia emerge, as a butterfly from its cocoon. Luminosita above ... Kurou doesn't stand a chance, Rose thought, entirely unaware that this assessment exactly matched Argus' reaction to her the first time they'd met. Of course, the circumstances were quite different. That previous encounter had been between two strangers meeting on a shared mission. This one was more like watching a mighty and terrible predator starting to stalk its prey. (To be sure, Kitaura had been "prey" back then too, but it still wasn't quite the same.)

Rose became aware that Suriah was glancing at her, back to Drusia, back to her, and so on. Some explanation was likely going to be necessary; even with the boutique that Drusia and the Tsuirakuans had visited, an outfit like that probably wasn't seen in Gervasiel every day. "Remember, Drusia's a well-known musical performer up north," she told the girl. "She has a costume for every occasion." Including a seduction in the name of espionage, obviously. "Maybe you'll get to hear her sing some time on the trip north. I've had the pleasure. She's really good." The memory of that performance in the inn at Leonish came back to her mind ... including the momentary lapse with Argus.

"Rose? Why are you blushing?" Brad chimed in.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus looked over at Drusia. Blinked. Took her all in. Started to say something. Stopped. Finally, he just sighed and gestured to Harker.

"Hummina-hummina-hummina," the familiar all but drooled.

"Well said, Harker." Argus rolled his eyes. "And yes, we're done here." It had taken a very brief amount of time to whip up some stealth runes for Harker, which the familiar had secreted under his heavy vest. Naturally, the casting had been done privately. "Do you have a plan for dropping in on Kurou?"
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Argus looked over at Drusia. Blinked. Took her all in. Started to say something. Stopped. Finally, he just sighed and gestured to Harker. "Hummina-hummina-hummina," the familiar all but drooled.
"Well said, Harker." Argus rolled his eyes. "And yes, we're done here." It had taken a very brief amount of time to whip up some stealth runes for Harker, which the familiar had secreted under his heavy vest. Naturally, the casting had been done privately. "Do you have a plan for dropping in on Kurou?"

I watch as Rose and Suriah arrive and smile at the looks everyone is giving me. Good start. First things first, though.

"I just need to know where this castle is," I say. Harker should be able to fill me in on that. "And, funny you should mention 'dropping in' as that was rather my idea." Too bad about the dress, but then, I know a tailor who does wonders with repairs.

"Shall we?" I ask Harker. He nods and follows as I turn towards the door. I take a moment to approach Rose and Suriah on my way out.

"Wish me luck," I say to Rose.

I turn to Suriah and tell her "I was hoping to speak with you, but it seems that any conversations will have to wait for a few days. Until I get back, I'd like you to keep me in mind - I think we have a lot to discuss, and I look forward to getting to know you better." The smile I give her is both friendly and flirty.

As much as I'd like to stay and observe the effects my pretty dress has on my companions, particularly Suriah, I have elsewhere to be. With a sexy hair flip, I turn and head out the door.

Outside I pick up Harker and look around for a hill and a castle. "That one?" I ask Harker. He nods.

I gauge the distance. That's a little far without an established gate, but then, I don't need to make it all the way there. "Hold on," I warn him and concentrate.

Reality bends. And we're standing in the middle of the forest, halfway up the hillside.

Eh. Close enough. I put down Harker and start walking. "Stay close until we get there," I advise him. "When I make contact, use the distraction to get inside."

-- Drusia

OOC: Okay, Drusia and Harker are moving over to Background Noise for a bit. See ya there! ^^
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

With the departure of Drusia and Harker, Lillith sidled over to Argus. She fidgeted for a moment, as she seemed prone to do, then cleared her throat gently. "So..." she demurred. "Is everything... alright?" Her eyes examined Argus closely, trying to figure out what was so different about the man.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus started at Lillith's question. "All right?" he repeated. Argus thought about it for a moment. There were still some massive issues he had to deal with, and yet... "Yes. Yes, I think that things are truly all right." He smiled faintly.

...Well, I couldn't have been more dramatic there if I'd tried,
he ruefully thought as what he'd just said sunk in.