The Artifact of Absonial

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: The Artifact of Absonial

Post by Graybeard »

"I just had a thought," Sister Rose told Argus. His analysis of the situation seemed reasonable, but there was a detail ... "You wonder if 'some unfortunate' triggered one of Kurou's traps. Wouldn't it be funny if that other elf was the 'unfortunate'? Talk about poetic justice ... but it'd never happen." She smiled ironically, feeling a bit guilty at the thought ... and not knowing how wrong she was about that last part.

----------

Drusia and Suriah retrieved, the party headed for Lorenzel.

----------

They approached the outskirts of the city just as the sun was about to set -- and as Rose noticed a parrot arrowing in on them. It didn't look equipped for night flying, so it was probably in a hurry to reach its destination before dark. Rose gave the code word, and the bird began to speak.

(SECRET) Your last message received, with thanks. Some answers to your questions follow below, but first, what in Luminosita's name did you do to Father Amalric? Word from headquarters is that he sounds like's getting ready for another Mage/Priest War.

(CONFIDENTIAL) Incidentally, we have learned a little more about Amalric that may be relevant to that observation, and also to one of the questions you asked. My initial assessment, that he is another of the priests of marginal magical proficiency we see in great numbers in the rural parishes, was quite misguided. Amalric turns out to be ex-military -- no surprise there -- and was in fact a powerful user of offensive and defensive magic. In short, he was what we used to call a "badass." However, as you observed, social skills are not among his talents. He was up for a high posting in the Patriarch's office when he got so crossways with somebody there -- don't know who yet, working on it -- as to become persona non grata and get himself assigned to that rather remote temple, ostensibly to be the military's eyes and ears on the south, but really just to get him out of everyone's hair. So the man is considerably more formidable than he appears to be.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) Seen in this light, it is probably a good thing that you have retrieved the Artifact and headed north. We have taken the liberty of securing lodging for your party at a very nice place in Lorenzel called the White Clipper Inn. Apparently the naval base uses it frequently for visitors, and they have agreed to post a few people there as security until you deliver the Artifact tomorrow. I hope this doesn't discomfit your civilian colleagues too badly, but it seemed the prudent thing to do.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) As for your other inquiries: Searches have revealed no evidence that there was ever a Stalwart contingent anywhere near Gervasiel, so I have nothing to clarify that situation. We're still looking into it. Your question as to whether there was a second Artifact of Absonial has also produced puzzlement; Professor Indianel never mentioned one in his earlier communications. I suspect that old Amalric may get orders to call him on the carpet about that. I have no idea what the Artifact of Absonial is or does, but it's apparently a sensitive enough item that somebody was unhappy about the implication that there may have been another one.

(UNCLASSIFIED) I gather that you have something you don't feel you can discuss at this level of classification; appropriate resources will be made available at the base for that. Meanwhile, thanks for your hard work. Sleep well -- the White Clipper is reputed to be a good place for it -- and check in tomorrow.

Bernie

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

"I, for one, am ready for a bath," Maduin announced.

[OOC]Sorry, not much to work with.[/OOC]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC:
Porcelain Fish wrote:[OOC]Sorry, not much to work with.[/OOC]
Sorry, it'll take a little bit to get past the scene shift. So:]

"That's the White Clipper Inn?" Sister Rose said, incredulity in her voice.

The White Clipper wasn't just a posh-looking inn; it was a real live clipper ship. No wonder the Veracian navy didn't mind stationing troops on it for security: it was practically one of their own, anyway. It was moored in the harbor, just downstream of the naval base, on the wide, navigable Lorenzel River. And it was beautiful. [OOC: Something like this, for reference purposes. /OOC:] Rose was pretty much a land-lubber, and she had the non-sailor's awe of a fast, graceful sailing ship, but the expressions on Brad's and Kim's faces made it clear that she wasn't the only one.

The smiling (and fit and military-looking) young man who met them at the dock couldn't help but catch the look on her face. "Welcome," he said, "and make yourselves comfortable. You're all pre-paid, and you're the only visitors tonight. But I'm a bit confused. The message from the base said to expect seven guests, which is what we can handle with the berths available. If there are nine of you, there may have to be some doubling up. I hope you don't mind."

Suriah and Bryce, Rose realized; she hadn't told Bernie about them yet. Well, no matter. "Not to worry, we'll make do..."

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

For some reason, Argus had jumped a little when the man had mentioned 'doubling up,' before reminding himself that two members of their group had found companionship. What the hell is the matter with me?, he thought irritably at himself. Instead, he turned to Harker, to see how his familiar's recovery was coming...

Only to see Harker awake, and looking back at him with an unreadable expression. Unreadable, save for a slight smirk, that is.

Argus didn't like that smirk. It never bode well.

Why exactly had Argus been doing such delicate work on the trip over here, again? Oh, right. He'd missed Harker. For some reason.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Welcome," he said, "and make yourselves comfortable. You're all pre-paid, and you're the only visitors tonight. But I'm a bit confused. The message from the base said to expect seven guests, which is what we can handle with the berths available. If there are nine of you, there may have to be some doubling up. I hope you don't mind."

I smile at him. "Mind? I would have practically insisted." I doubt our other newcommer will mind anymore than Suriah at having to share a room with the approprate companion. The way things are progressing with Brad and Lillith, I wonder if we won't be able to do without more rooms soon enough. Argus and Rose... well, that may take a little more time.

-- Drusia
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin felt butterflies wake in his middle as Bryce's thumb stroked along his ribs, arm tightening slightly. "I think we might be able to stand each other," he said softly in Maduin's ear.

Maduin smiled. "It wouldn't do to put them out," he replied quietly. "And it wouldn't be an imposition."

"Well that's a relief." Bryce's chuckle was deep and faintly husky. He got down out of the saddle, and Maduin felt those butterflies in his abdomen burst into an even greater tumult than before as those big hands closed on his waist and he looked into those dark green eyes, resting his hands on Bryce's shoulders as the big soldier helped him down. He tucked his hand into Bryce's arm and leaned against him as they strolled onboard.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

One of the sailor-workers on board the White Clipper was giving Maduin and Bryce a doubtful look as they boarded the ship and disappeared into a state room, but he let it pass. It was late ...

----------

Tap, tap, tap.

Sister Rose wasn't sure what time it was, except that it was in the middle of the night. Just as Bernie had predicted, she'd been sleeping soundly; the combination of travel fatigue, a surprisingly comfortable bed, and the gentle rocking of the "inn" had seen to that. Still, something had awakened her ...

Tap, tap, tap.

... And there it was again, coming from the porthole. That might not be good. After all that had happened on this trip, Rose was feeling defensive. She started to look for the handgun she'd taken from Brad, but stopped when she realized that the noise was a parrot, not a man. She opened the porthole to admit the bird ...

But it gave her the RAGWEED code word.

The one that meant trouble.

[OOC: So do you want me to write and display the message, or shall we fast-forward to morning (with character behavior/interactions on the way as people wish) and Rose will fill people in at breakfast? Something has happened that will definitely need to be dealt with ...]

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]I'm good for either. Sorry if I've been a little scarce the past few days. I'm liable to be scarce the next couple weeks. Some HARD reading to do, plus students to advice now that enrollment for the next semester is open.[/OOC]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Sareth wrote:[OOC]I'm good for either.[/OOC]
OOC: I second this.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, skipping the text message and on to morning, I'd just wanted to leave it open in case somebody wanted to, uh, do something before going to sleep...]

It was a refreshed, lively group of travelers who met for breakfast ... except for one. And the lively mood of the others didn't last long.

Sister Rose hadn't slept well after the parrot interrupted her, given what it had to say. Now she tried to remember it all and pass it along. People in the party weren't going to like it. Well, better get on with it, the news won't get better for delaying the telling...

"I got a message last night," she said over coffee. "Something has happened in Gervasiel. Father Amalric, at the temple, was ordered to, I guess I'll say, 'debrief' Professor Indianel on the dig. He sent two junior priests over to get them at the inn ...

"And when they got there, they found that Indianel and Rebekah Codoin had been murdered."