The Artifact of Absonial

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: The Artifact of Absonial

Post by Drusia »

... Waved politely and went back to their gardening. And that was all.
Rose stopped in her tracks.

A minute or two behind? Not a very efficient position if I want to be able to help. Let's try something a little different.

"Hold my hand and don't use your powers unless I let go first," I instruct her. She nods warily at me. I take her hand and cloak us in a simple invisibility spell. It might fool a mage who wasn't paying attention, and it will certainly take care of any non-magically inclinded persons.

"Let's go," I murmur to Kim. She squeezes my hand in reply. Together, we follow after Rose and Argus, keeping them in sight. We continue on until they near the temple.

"This is going to feel a little odd," I warn Kim, "Try to stay quiet." I pause and, concentrating, transport us onto a nearby roof. Kim gives my hand a brief squeeze of alarm. "You okay?" I ask. She squeezes again, once, agreeing.

"If we follow along the edge here," I murmur, "We should be able to keep them in sight until they pass the temple. If anything goes wrong, and you need to use your power, make sure you pull your hand away from mine first." I don't want her accidently tearing my arm off. That would be... unpleasant.

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I don't get this," Sister Rose said as she and Argus made their closest approach to the Millenarian temple. "I was just sure that after everything that -- happened --" she switched to mind-speech long enough to think <"to poor Avner and Rebekah, I mean>" -- "the people here would be interested in what we're carrying. But they're just not."

It was true. They'd dawdled near the temple for long enough to see at least half a dozen priests and nuns in the Millenarian garb come and go, one or two of them of the blue-eyed, blond-haired physique she'd seen, and found unsettling, ever since Provatiel. Not one had given them the time of day. The Millenarian clergy were simply going about their business, whatever it was.

Rose shrugged. "Maybe I've misunderstood what's been going on for the last week or two." Right. And maybe I'll grow wings and fly to the moon. "If so, it's probably for the best, because I definitely didn't like the conclusions I was drawing. Well, let's abandon the fishing expedition and do what we're really here for." She reversed her field and started walking back toward the inn-ship.

-----------

However, things were not going quite so smoothly for Kim and Drusia in their position atop the tall, nearby building.

It all started with just the barest, nearly imperceptible feeling of magic being used somewhere nearby, growing ever so slowly in intensity. By the time it was noticeable at all, there was an audible click from somewhere behind them that was much easier to sense than the growing magical field. Kim drew in a sharp breath at the noise, started to whip around to see what was stalking them ...

... And suddenly realized that her time magic wasn't working. Furthermore, she was as visible as could be, and so was Drusia.

Three men in the uniform of the Veracian navy were looking at them. The one in front was dressed in formal whites, had a patch prominently labeled "MILITARY POLICE" on his uniform, and had enough egg salad on his shoulders to suggest a fairly important man. He was armed with a sword. One of the two behind him was also armed, and the third one, a frail-looking, bespectacled young man, had his face contorted into a grimace from the effort of maintaining what appeared to be an anti-magic field. At least that was what it felt like; Kim felt as if she was moving through molasses, and now she could detect the field directly.

"Good morning, ladies," the officer intoned neutrally, stepping forward into the field (with no obvious ill effects). "You appear to have wandered into restricted territory that is the property of the Veracian Navy. Technically, you are trespassing. May I see some identification, please?"

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Bryce glanced up from sipping his coffee, the fingers of his other hand twined in Maduin's curly hair, idly massaging the back of his neck, and glanced at Brad, and then at the security guard he'd indicated, eyebrows rising slightly. He let his hand fall to Maduin's shoulder instead and gave the other soldier a bland look.

"Got a problem?" he drawled.

Maduin half-opened one eye and studied the features of the young man looking back at them. A half-smile quirked the right corner of his lips, because he recognized that curiosity, having seen it reflected in the eyes of many other young men on numerous occasions. "Go get a deck of cards, soldier. We'll play a game I think you'll enjoy."

Bryce glanced sideways at him, but didn't gainsay him.
Last edited by Porcelain Fish on October 30th, 2010, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus glanced around. <"Odd. Are we just being paranoid? I was certain that someone would try to accost us over the artifact... unless this area is deemed too public."> He sighed. <"Either way, I don't think that they're going to take the bait. We need to try a different plan.">

<"I'm certainly open to ideas."> Rose thought back.

<"I'll let you know as soon as I have one,"> was Argus' dry response. So. Now what?
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Graybeard wrote:"Good morning, ladies," the officer intoned neutrally, stepping forward into the field (with no obvious ill effects). "You appear to have wandered into restricted territory that is the property of the Veracian Navy. Technically, you are trespassing. May I see some identification, please?"
Um, busy the next day or two - be able to reply on Sunday or Monday.

**hugs** Happy Halloween!
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC:
Drusia wrote:Um, busy the next day or two - be able to reply on Sunday or Monday.

**hugs** Happy Halloween!

The same to you (hugs included), and don't worry, we'll inch things forward ... /OOC:]

"I-- identification?" Kim said, stumbling over the long, unfamiliar word.

The top cop rolled his eyes. "Something to establish who you are. Passport, other papers, issued by the Church, whatever. We need --"

He was interrupted by a gasp from the cop with the sword. "Captain, that other one's an elf!"

The captain didn't miss a beat. "An elf who is trespassing," he corrected his underling. "Your papers, please." The anti-magic field might have wavered slightly, but it stayed up.

---------

The sailor's gaze switched back and forth between Maduin and Bryce several times, then he made a decision. "Be -- right back," he stammered with little conviction in his voice, and then he retreated at flank speed.

---------

Sister Rose switched to verbalization; there was no longer a reason not to, if the Millenarians' disinterest was as genuine as it looked. "As I think about it, I think we just go back and get ready to go." A brief mind-phrase was inserted: "<In other words, get the actual Artifact.>" Back to words: "I do have a mission to complete, and Drusia, Suriah and Lillith are getting anxious to be on the way to their own destination. They've humored us until now. I shouldn't even have tried this digression, it's inconsiderate of me. Let's go back to the Clipper and get on with it."

She continued back toward the floating inn, still having mixed emotions at the continuing disinterest shown at the Millenarian temple. On the one hand, she wasn't yet ready to abandon her scary hypothesis about what had happened to Avner Indianel and Rebekah Codoin. (I should really explain in detail to Argus; he's probably wondering what's bothering me, but it can wait until we're free of the Artifact and on the road, she thought.) On the other hand, it came as a relief not to have to face yet another threat.

But where were Drusia and Kim?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin watched the sailor beat feet, crooked half-smile still on his features, and leaned over to whisper into Bryce's ear.

"I think that might be trouble."

Bryce turned his head, pressing his lips lightly to the tip of Maduin's nose, and then his temple. "You seem amused by that," he murmured back. "Should I go get my sword, or do you have something else in mind?"

Maduin chuckled, running a soft fingertip over Bryce's lips. "Let's wait on the sword. We may not need it yet."

He glanced across the table at Brad, Lillith, and Suriah. "I don't suppose any of you happens to have a couple of seeds on hand, do you?"
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Seeds?" Lillith turned from Suriah. "Yes?" She arched an eyebrow and brought out a small pouch from somewhere in her dress. She spilled a number of seeds onto the table top and quickly sorted them into piles. "Elderberry, serviceberry, sunflower, corn, pumpkin..."
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus noticed Rose glancing around, looking concerned, and immediately deduced that she was worried about Drusia and Kim. Well, those two could take care of themselves. Argus pretty sure that Drusia had some sort of cloaking power, so that would explain why they couldn't see them. Nonetheless, he absentmindedly scanned the crowd for them, and offhandedly looked at the rooftops, a habit one got into when trolls ambushed you from above.

It was due to this that Argus saw a quick flutter of cloak.

He nodded. <"I think I saw Drusia on a rooftop. Probably thinks it's easier to follow us that way. Don't know why she's not concealing herself, though..."> he frowned and looked back at the rooftop. <"Hang on... why isn't she concealing herself? It's broad daylight.">
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

"Lillith dear, you are an absolute gem," Maduin exclaimed, taking a few of each and slipping them into a pocket. "These will do wonderfully."

"Seeds?" Bryce asked dryly.

Seeds," Maduin replied simply, a small, thoughtful smile on his face.