Tsuiraku-town, part 3

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Tsuiraku-town, part 3

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, so on to morning...]

Layla was up with the sun, as usual, first to feed her son, then to go for a run before the rest of the world woke up.

She hadn't slept well. Joe and Stevo and Oskar couldn't very well sleep in the burned-out flat above the liquor store, of course, and they needed to sleep somewhere, so some arrangements were made for them to bed down at the vineyard. That shouldn't have been a bad thing; considering the way things had been going there, having some firepower around whose allegiances weren't in doubt could have turned out to be useful. Unfortunately, Stevo came in at some hideous hour, roaring drunk (how he'd dodged the traps on the grounds would perplex Layla for some time), and awakened Zachary as he stumbled around the house. Layla, awakened in turn (as was Ace, lying next to her) by her son's cries, had made it very clear to the Gewehr underling that the next time he pulled some damn fool stunt like that would be the last time ... but the damage was done.

Whether because she was cranky and short on sleep, or because of the weirdness of the last few days, or both, or more, she made sure she was packing concealed heat as she left the house and started down the lane -- and for a moment, as she rounded the corner of the property, she thought she might need it, as a solitary figure was standing at the side of the road, eyeing the house. But then she recognized him, and paused in her run.

"Good morning, Ms. Sorensen," Captain Kitaura said, in his usual flat voice. "Another morning person, I see..."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"You were snoring again."

"So were you."

Jade shrugged, she was sitting up in the excuse for a bed Leo had in his ramshackle hovel and smoking her first roll-up of the day. The merc's reply, along with the rest of him, had still been buried beneath the duvet.

"Must've been all those months with no-one to disturb my sleep." She said, exhaling a plume of smoke that hung lazily in the stale air. "What time is it?"

"Too bloody early; go back to bed."

She reached over and fetched him a dig on his shoulder which sent him scurrying further into his refuge.

"Cant. Got work to do." She reluctantly clambered out of the comfort of the bed and started getting dressed, Leo finally peeked out his head to stare at her.

"Enjoying the view?"

"Always. So I'm assuming you need me to do something today?"

"Later, maybe. For now, I'd be grateful if you got your arse out of bed and kept a look-out for me when I get to the forge."

"I don't think you have to worry about Gault any more."

"Maybe, maybe not. It's the bloody tsuirakuan rebels I'm more worried about anyway. They'll probably want their toys back at some point and I'm not the sharing type."

"Your wish is my command, my love." He sighed.
Hours
Unit of Time

Post by Hours »

Morning at the Schwarzmarine offices was heralded with the sound of gunfire. Out back in the small yard of the mercenary offices Gault's men had been up with the morning bells and sent out back for live fire exercises, the sound of guns was punishment enough for those who had drank themselves into a coma the previous night, and it was a good sign that their official shore leave was over: They were officially on the job, whether or not they'd been paid for it yet.

Gault sat down on the back doorstep as bullets flew, smashing empty bottles and a few makeshift targets in the yard. It was going to be an easy day, he hoped, he'd already worked hard enough at midnight.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Layla's initial inclination was to say something snippy; she didn't like Kitaura to begin with, she didn't like him casing the vineyard, and of course, she was short on sleep and crabby. However, the man was a force to be reckoned with, and if recent developments were to be taken at face value (she wasn't sure about that), he was on her side, at least for the time being. So ...

"Good morning, Captain," she said neutrally but cordially as she stopped to talk. "What can I do for you?"

Kitaura made just the tiniest bow, acknowledging that he'd at least been addressed politely. "I have some good news for you," he said. "My people have given me permission to provide you material assistance in dealing with the difficulties posed by the source of exotic, pernicious weeds located along the south boundary of your property. An action in our mutual best interest should be happening there any time now."

The shack, Layla thought. She allowed herself as much of a smile as her mood and the circumstances would permit. "That is good news indeed," she answered. "How soon should we expect that action to --"

She was interrupted by a flash of light from the direction of the shack, followed two seconds later by a low boomm.

"Consider it done," Kitaura said, rather unnecessarily. "This is a token of our appreciation to you for the identification and elimination of certain of the weeds. And now, if you do not mind, let us have further discussions regarding certain, other weeds of interest to my people, and actions you might take to render us additional assistance..."

He snapped his fingers, and somehow, a tea service appeared out of nowhere, complete with table and two low chairs -- one of which he politely held for his thoroughly surprised guest.

[OOC: So maybe we can finally lay the shack to rest, and get on to having some adventures that actually make sense for the whole cast of characters...]

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

With a long stretch, Jasmine walked into the kitchen area. A quick glance made it appear to be empty for the moment, so she availed herself of several cooking utensils and a gathering of various edible things. These were quickly and efficiently sliced, diced, cracked, whipped, mixed, stirred, and seasoned, and soon filled the room with the smell of delicious caloric intake.

"A quick snack, and then I'm off to the port," she said to the no one that was her only current companion. "And then, young lady, I'm coming for you and my grandchild! Just you wait." She grinned. "It'll be fun!"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Faye and Ace (carrying Zachary) arrived from different directions just as Jasmine's breakfast was coming to fruition. "I think there's an airship to Lorrel that leaves about noon," Ace said. "We should have plenty of time to get you on --"

Boomm

It was a bit louder at the house than where Layla was about to have most unexpected morning tea with Kitaura. Ace was sufficiently startled that he almost lost his grip on the baby, but he had the presence of mind to install Zachary in his crib. By the time he'd done that, Faye had already produced a pistol from somewhere ...

-----------

"So you mean we're finally free of whatever threat is associated with that shack?" Layla said, sipping her tea just slightly more quickly than was really polite; the explosion would be creating chaos at the house, she was sure, and she'd have to go calm things down.

"I would not go quite that far, Ms. Sorensen," Kitaura answered calmly; of course, he knew the explosion was coming. "The owners are still -- troublesome. However, if you confine your excursions into Tsuiraku-town to your magic lessons, and do your homework --" Layla was pretty sure he meant report anything unusual you see to me -- "those owners will lose interest in you and your fine operation. Besides, you appear to have adequate security arrangements now." Another finger snap, and suddenly Kitaura was holding one of the bear traps that had been set up near the farm house.

Layla nodded blandly and without a word, but she was thinking, like hell we're going to just walk away. You don't leave an enemy at your back, just because some super-cop is promising you protection. Ace is definitely going to be looking into joining that church.

"So let me give you just the slightest bit of information on the other form of exotic weeds that you might watch out for," Kitaura said. Layla bent closer; this could be interesting ... and Faye, Joe and Ace could surely deal with things in the house. Couldn't they?

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"What do you think?"

Leo and Jade were back at the forge they'd rented yesterday. Leo sleepy-eyed; Jade's glittering with triumph at the weapon in her hand which looked, for all intents and purposes, like a standard bolt-action rifle, albiet one with with a couple of extra metal plates and symbols decorating the join between barrel and butt.

"Looks like a rifle." He contributed, and then tried not to wither under the annoyed look the Blacksmith gave him.

"That's the point pretty boy, something like this draws a hell of a lot less attention than those blasted staffs do."

"True, but you'd still have to keep it covered-up around town."

"Well it's bloody easier to conceal too!"

Leo leaned back and crossed his arms. "What does it do?"

A manaical grin rose on Jade's face. The merc found himself wondering, not for the first time, just what he'd gotten himself into when he'd met the woman years ago. She shouldered the rifle and looked down the sights.

"I could tell you." She intoned. "Which would be boring, or we could head back to our buddies at the vineyard and ask them if the have a scarecrow they wouldn't miss. I think they might appreciate a demonstration"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Jack, hope you don't mind if I speed Jade and Leo on their way slightly...]

Layla was a thoughtful, pensive woman as she trotted back to the house. (She'd been sitting with Kitaura for long enough to have tightened up, so her pace was considerably slower than when she'd started; this wouldn't be a good time for a muscle pull.)

When you stripped away all of Kitaura's innuendos, circumlocutions and euphemisms, she thought, there could only be one conclusion: there were two Tsuirakuan rebel groups active in Rinkaiel, not one, and somehow, the Gewehr operation had got involved with both of them. (Who knows, there might have been more; as far as Layla could see from her time in Kiyoka, the entire country of Tsuiraku ran on intrigue.) The one connected to the shack seemed to be under control, from Kitaura's point of view. The other one, though ... blue hells, who could tell?

I'd better get Mom to do a dump on just what she told Kitaura while I was in class, she thought as she approached the house. Interesting: there were food smells coming from the kitchen already. Maybe Faye was up earlier than expected.

She was just starting to go inside when she noticed two visitors coming up the lane -- one of them bearing a shouldered rifle. Them again. "Good morning," she said to Leo and Jade, as politely as she could manage (and keeping her own concealed piece within easy reach). "What brings you here at such an early hour?"

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC No prob Grey./OOC

"What brings you here at such an early hour?"

Jade took the lead, beaming widely at Layla as she unholstered the 'mana rifle' with sheer anticipation.

"I've been working on something I thought you and yours would be interested in." She said. "Remember that staff I came back with yesterday? Meet it's new and improved replacement."

"And the reason you dragged me out of bed so damn early." Leo grumbled.

"Shut up, sweetheart." She angled the barrel and moved her hand out the way so Layla could see the extra details on the gun. "This might be a help against our friends through the gate."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Wraiths knew their weapons, and it only took Layla a moment to realize she wasn't looking at an off-the-rack rifle. "Dare I ask what that thing is?"