The road to Snamish

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: The road to Snamish

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC:
Eli wrote:"The balloon was in the air over Bishop's Cap a few hours ago, and we haven't had any visitors yet... present company accepted.
Actually, I think it was a couple of days earlier when the balloon came in, based on what Benedict told Rose about being watched. Wilbur Hamael definitely overnighted at least one night up there, near death and unable to do much except try to find some grubs, etc., to eat. But no matter, it doesn't affect what's going on... /OOC:]

Brad looked like he was so excited that he was about to pop a seam. Besides, he'd never been in an airship... "Oh, I've got a solution for that already!" he said happily. "The balloon never has to get more than fifty feet above the ground if we do it right. We just put a couple of people in the basket to steer it, and more on the ground to keep it held down. And even better than that..." He caught Argus' eye before continuing.

"Dr. Cleiviein, there, is a great master of earth magic," he exclaimed triumphantly. "Why, I bet you could just whip something up that would work as ballast, so we could be sure the thing would never take off! Couldn't you?"

Now why do I have this eerie feeling that we're talking about an accident looking for a place to happen? Sister Rose thought. Still, she couldn't see anything obviously wrong with her cousin's plan ... yet. "Brad, you might be onto something there," she said, trying to keep as much caution in her voice as possible. "If the balloon never gets more than fifty feet off the ground, nobody is going to see it except the people in Snamish. Tell you what: why don't we all sleep on the idea, and if it still looks good in the morning, we can give it a try?" She smiled playfully. "And if it all checks out, we might even let you skipper the balloon," she added, with a sidelong glance at Lillith to see how this not-entirely-serious suggestion was going over.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: I've been holding this open under the assumption that there would be some more interactions among the people at the dinner. However, that doesn't seem to be happening (although I sort of wish it would, it's an interesting cast of characters there). Would people prefer to skip ahead to morning, and the recovery (or not...) of the balloon? If the latter, a new thread might be in order. Your call.

Caoimhe Faelan
Forum Regular

Post by Caoimhe Faelan »

[OOC: I'M ALIVE! I'm so, SO sorry you guys. I explained to Drusia and GB both, I've been struggling rather valiently against depression for the past few months and right before New Years, it started to get the best of me. However, since then, things in my life have taken a decidedly good turn and I'm feeling incredibly more alive than I have since last summer. I would post, except that I'm a wee bit lost, so I'm going to go read through everything I've missed and jump in when you get the new thread started. <3]
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]From one person that suffers from depression to another, glad you're pulling out of it! Take your time and catch up at your own pace. We're glad to have you back.[/OOC]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Graybeard wrote:OOC: I've been holding this open under the assumption that there would be some more interactions among the people at the dinner. However, that doesn't seem to be happening (although I sort of wish it would, it's an interesting cast of characters there). Would people prefer to skip ahead to morning, and the recovery (or not...) of the balloon? If the latter, a new thread might be in order. Your call.
OOC: I'd say keep it open - I think we'll be able to get moving forward again here soon.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, I hear and obey... To keep it moving:]

Benedict looked around the table, gauging the sense of the guests about the odd balloon. "Very well, then," he decided. "Rose, your suggestion sounds right. Let's put it out of our minds for now and enjoy the dinner. I promise that you will find the dessert course enjoyable; it's a local specialty. A few of us will talk later about what you saw at the pass." His voice developed a momentary chill. "And Alia, after that, you and I will have a brief, private conversation."

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus winced at Benedict's tone. Is that what I used to sound like? No wonder the kids cringed when I was mad at them.

Thus was Argus reacquainted with the 'Dad voice,' after so many years.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The dinner was starting to break up. As promised, the dessert had been heavenly, a cobbler made with some kind of berry that Sister Rose didn't recognize; something indigenous to these mountains, clearly. A mildly melancholy thought crossed her mind as she finished it. This village could become prosperous beyond their imagining if they could export things like this; they have the best produce I've eaten anywhere in Veracia. But it would risk calling attention to themselves ... with all the danger that would involve. No, best just to eat this while I'm here; it's not like the villagers are deprived by making do and eating these things themselves, after all.

Lillith, Brad, Desiree, Maduin and Bryce, and Claire and her beau went back out to the square, where the festival still seemed to be going strong, while Beatrice politely excused herself to supervise the cleanup after the dinner; in certain regards, the Lucas household remained rather ... old-fashioned. ("Veracian"?) That left Benedict with Rose, Argus, Eli and Alia. Rose knew that under normal circumstances, her father-in-law would take a bit of time to enjoy a large, briar pipe after dinner, about his only vice that she knew of. That he did not do so now could mean either of two things. One was that he was being courteous to visitors whom he did not know; the newcomers might be intolerant of smoking. (Rose very much disliked the habit herself, but she didn't dislike the pipe as much as she loved the man smoking it; but who could tell about Argus and Eli?) The other was that he was not in a mood for relaxation.

"Now would someone please tell me, in detail, what went on up there and what it all means?" he said as soon as the room was empty of extraneous observers; he wanted Drusia in on this conversation too, but better get a start on it while she was being located.

[EDIT: Minor retcon; I think Suriah is off with Drusia, although I'm honestly not sure. Anyway, she's with her now. :mrgreen: Also, my travel got scrubbed due to weather and canceled plane flights, so I'm around for the next couple of days after all.]

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus sighed. "I don't know where to begin. But the man in question ha access to a particularly deadly form of magic wherein he could literally kill you with a look. Apparently got here on a balloon of all things..." Argus trailed off. "I'm sorry. This sounds very odd put that way, doesn't it?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I'm sorry. This sounds very odd put that way, doesn't it?"

Benedict nodded. "It does. But if that is what happened, so be it. We don't ignore facts simply because they are peculiar."

Sister Rose nodded agreement. Benedict had always had the knack for setting preconceived notions aside (like he did with me ... eventually, she thought) and doing what had to be done, based on the facts available and not on the heat of the moment. That's the way a good leader should function. "There's a bit more," she chimed in. "He tried to use the death word, on an illusion that Drusia had set up to decoy him away from her. It didn't do anything to the illusion, of course, but I was directly in line with the effect. I had some defenses up, but the experience was still ... unpleasant." She shuddered.

"Has he been dealt with?" Benedict asked.

"He has," Rose confirmed. "In several ways at once. I think the death word reflected back at him, from the Barrier I'd cast. Eli nailed him with a fireball too --" she nodded to the soldier, appreciation in her eyes -- "and Drusia just about sliced his head off, just to be on the safe side. Then Alia incinerated the body, as Drusia asked her to." She still wasn't convinced that had been a good idea, but there looked to be enough tension between father and daughter that she wanted her father-in-law to understand that it had been Drusia's idea, not an undisciplined youngster going off half-cocked. "Argus buried what was left, really not much more than ashes and the larger bones." She smiled weakly. "Really a team effort, I have to say..."