To the Southern Continent

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: To the Southern Continent

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Just to set the playing field, I think there are four ships out sailing the ocean blue here:
  • The one carrying Jamie and Tamina, currently in the lead;
  • The one carrying Jasmine, closing fast;
  • The one carrying Keyes, watching from a distance and submerged most of the time;
  • The one carrying (or at least sent by) Gabriel, whose whereabouts are unknown.
I don't know which one of these "Rick" is on, except that it's not Keyes'. That should probably be clarified at some point. Incidentally, this would be an excellent time to introduce a new player or two, and if you do come in, please specify the ship. There'll also be excellent opportunities once the survivors make landfall, if any. :o /OOC:]

Keyes watched the two ships converge with growing alarm. He'd been told to steer clear of any fighting, but at the same time, to be prepared to rescue Jamie and the catgirl -- "Tamina," was it? -- if push came to shove. Problem was, his own ship was made for speed and stealth, not combat. It was totally unarmed, apart from a simple rifle that he carried and almost never used. He himself was more of a magic user than a gunman, but combat magic was never his forte ... except for one thing.

He caressed the glowing figurine of a crocodile that hung from a chain around his neck, and continued to watch the approaching ship as an idea began to form in his mind.

-----------

"John?" Elke spoke into the crystal ball to her husband-to-be (at least she hoped Mr. Stagpoole was going to be a man of his word). "This will sound strange, but I've just had the most remarkable idea for the Southern Mage..."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"It's my MOTHER. Can't you make this thing go any faster?"

Tamina, now not really taking in the tone of Jamie's talk so much as the one emphasized word. Beamed brightly at the teenager and then ran to the railings at the edge of the ship. She dumped the harpoon, leaned over the railings (which caused Wedge's eyes to nearly pop out of his head), raised an arm and waved happily to the closing ship.

"HI JAMIE'S MOM!" She called. "YOUR DAUGHTER'S REAL NICE! SHE SAVED ME FROM THE BAD MEN! YOU COMING ABOARD?"

A long stretch away from the scene of near-insanity, Gabriel was sat inside a modest wooden cabin on a ship headed to the same destination as the two ships now in sight of each other.

The ex-captain was currently perched on a wooden chair with both feet propped on a desk and a book in his hand. He exuded the air of a man at ease and, to a degree, he was. Securing passage aboard a ship to the southern continent on Alec's coin was childsplay. One of the things the former militiaman loved about Port Lorrel was the way so many things were for sale, even immaterial things like a schedule, loyalty, breath, could be regulated with the right words and the right money.

All he could do for the moment was wait for his vessel to arrive and then begin the chase in earnest. He knew enough of the Southern Continent to know there'd be informants and trackers aplenty if he needed them. In the meantime there was nothing to do but kick back and enjoy a temporary vacation.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

What in Exitialis' name is going on there? Keyes wondered as he watched the approaching ship.

He wasn't quite sure whether to release his one weapon (such as it was) or not. The fast-moving ship was pulling closer to the Clark, but there were no weapons on it that he could see. There was, however, a figure climbing the second tallest mast on the newcomer ... carrying a rope attached at the other end to the mainmast.

As he watched, the climbing figure pulled the rope not-quite-tight, and jumped off.

Moments later, the swing of the rope catapulted the climber into the air ... and neatly deposited him, her or it on the foc's'l of the Clark. And even at this distance, he could hear the scream that followed.

"MOOOOOMMMMM!!"

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Are you CRAZY?" Jamie shrieked. "What the hell kind of stunt"

*WHACK*

The tirade was cut off mid sentence by a well applied swat to the back of Jamie's head. "Young lady..."

"MOOOoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOM!" Jamie rubbed the back of her head as Nera giggled. "That hurt!"

"And you think that running off like that didn't hurt me? You break your mother's heart! We're going to have a good long talk."

Jamie glowered and looked sullen, but said nothing.

Aboard the other ship, the crew wasted no time. The moment Jasmine had swung away they had immediately run about, adjusting sails and swinging yard arms. At the tiller, the captain siezed it out of the hands of the cockswain and spun it over as hard as he could. No one needed to say anything. They all were in one mind that they wanted to get as far away from the crazy woman who had just departed as they could.

The ship heeled over, practically dipping the tips of yardarms into the water along one side. The ship wheeled about, catching the wind as best it could and began racing down the wind. A froth whipped up at the ship's bow as it came to its new course headed straight for Keyes.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina had watched Jasmine's swinging display with naked delight, she'd cheered and clapped as the older woman had deposited herself neatly on the deck of The Clark. She'd watched the conversation with her eyes shining, partially in amusement and partially from the joy that she'd be home to her own mother soon enough.

"And you think that running off like that didn't hurt me? You break your mother's heart! We're going to have a good long talk."

She raised a hand a flapped it cheerfully at the new arrival.

"Hi, hi, hi." She said. "We had to run, bad men were chasing us."

"And there's a pissed off and bewildered one on deck right now." Came Rigby's voice as he stepped into view with his oversized gun. He pointed the barrel at the other ship to indicate the retreating vessel's progress. "Unless your friends had a change of heart at the last minute I don't think you're here to invade us, so... mind explaining why you decided to board my ship in open waters?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"LAND HO!" the lookout on the Clark called -- and the entire crew, and passengers, all mentally replied, and about damn time.

-----------

"Dey've made it to de Toutern Continent," Keyes reported to his boss. "Can I go home now?" Watching the antics on the ship through the periscope had been fun, after a fashion, but he'd been away from Kiyoka for a rather long time.

"Not yet," Mr. Stagpoole sent back. "There's another ship on the way that you'll need to keep an eye on. If they manage to bag Jamie or the catgirl, you'll have to follow them until we can send help."

That caught Keyes' attention. "Catgirl?" he said. "You had me following a catgirl? I didn't know dat."

Keyes had only heard the dark tone in his employer's voice a few times before, and every time, it was on an occasion that turned very scary for him, very quickly. Now he heard it again. "Just mind your own business and keep an eye on them until they're inland. Don't ask any questions. Out." The man at the other end broke the connection.

[OOC: We kinda need Jamie and Jasmine to move forward. Done with finals yet, S?]

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]Yep. But now I need to work my ass off on that damned thesis... That'll keep me plenty occupied over the next couple months. x.x[/OOC]

"Well, I was just trying to get my daughter back." Jasmine smiled icily down at her daughter, then looked at the captain. "So, do you often transport minors across international lines?"

Before the captain could reply, they heard the call, "LAND HO!" from the rigging.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC if anyone wants to the description of the landing port tweaked just PM me and I'll make adjustments. I was aiming for kilika in final fantasy 10 as a general guideline. http://finalfantasy.neoseeker.com/wiki/ ... rtwork.jpg http://finalfantasy.neoseeker.com/wiki/ ... Kilika.jpg /OOC

At the look-out's cry Tamina jumped several feet in the air and cheered, she landed, grabbed Jamie's hands and danced around in a circle with her.

"Yay! yay! yay! I'm home! Home! Yaaaay!" [OOC You've no idea how tempted I was to write 'me-sa going home!' but that would've probably gotten me murdered by pissed-off guys who watched episode one/OOC] The kobold laughed, cried, then hugged the teenager and planted a noisy smack on her cheek in her elation.

Captain Rigby's reply to Jasmine's accusation was stifled by the sheer spectacle. In fact he breathed a sigh of relief, tipped his hat to the irate mother and hurredly made his way to the bow.

A moment later he was holding a telescope and zoomed in on their destination. The small, but not immodest, Port of Grendell floated into view. The seaside town was a mishmash of sturdy-looking wooden huts placed haphazardly around the boardwalks and docking areas the town presented. The town served as the curtain which the denser jungle lay behind. It was a tapestry of brightly coloured weaves, beach fires and fishing boats cruising idly by the Captain's much larger vessel. Rigby could see the denizens going about their business as if a ship of mentally deranged individuals wasn't bearing down on them with terrible speed. In light of the recent events the Captain was immediately promising himself a short and well-deserved vacation when they arrived.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"They've reached Grendell," Keyes crystaled back.

"Good," his employer replied. "Stand by and keep a low profile. Stay out in the bay for now, until you pick up that other incoming ship. You may have to use Old Charlie on them, we don't know yet."

"Aye, aye, thir," Keyes said, fingering the figurine hanging about his neck. The connection ended, but Keyes had noticed something unexpected in Mr. Stagpoole's order:

"We"?

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

The boat itself docked in the small port with the minimum of fuss. Tamina, however, didn't wait for the vessel to draw to a halt but instead vaulted over the side and landed on the wooden planking with a forward roll, causing a cry of panic from one of the natives who'd been standing a little too close to the kobold's landing zone for comfort. Tamina mumbled a 'sor-ree' and turned back to the now-inert vessel giggling and clapping her hands.

Had the kobld been paying more attention to the residents of the town she would've noted the mistrustful looks she was drawing from some of the Grendell natives. It was unusual behavour for a community who were familiar with her kind. Admittedly the relationship between the 'cat-girl's' tribe and the neighbouring sea-side towns was one of little contact, but it was far from hostile. In fact, Tamina herself had visited the small port several times to trade with the natives.

"Jay-me!" The kobold called, as impatient as an eight year old waiting to get on the swings. "Come on! Wanna show you 'round town!"

Just out of earshot a pair of heavily tanned and serious-looking gentlemen were staring in her direction and having conversation out the corner of their mouths.

"Another one." The first man said.

"Yeah. But she looks ok." The second replied.

The first man's hand went to the hilt of a hatchet that hung from his sash-like belt. It was a nervous gesture but also contained an undercurrent of anger. "Well she'd better stay that way."

"Don't worry, we'll keep an eye on her. And if she shows a sign..." He shrugged, he didn't have to finished the sentence for the other man to get his meaning.