To the Southern Continent

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: To the Southern Continent

Post by Sareth »

"MmmmmHmmmmmm." Jamie grinned and curled into the arch, ignoring the way it made her knee twinge. Her fingers began exploring about, causing little giggles to escape both their lips. Just as the fingers were threatening to reach a particularly good spot, Jamie lifted her head to nibble an earlobe.

Then dropped her head back to the pillow with an oath as her mother's voice came through the window.

"Thank you for letting my grand-daughter and I spend the night with you. It was very kind of you. I'll just be checking on my daughter. Hopefully we can travel today and start the journey home."

Jamie sighed. "Dammit... Hide."
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina's gasps and giggles turned abruptly into a low groan at the sound of Jamie's mother's voice.

"Fa-uck." She muttered, then an idea hit her with Jamie's response. She reluctantly pushed off the bed to her feet and turned back to the girl as she slipped into the small kitchen area in a boxed-off corner of her hut. She talked to the girl in a low whisper.

"Tell her...umm... went to gather herbies, hurbs? Distract. Can use magic, run out quick, quiet." She winked, feeling a little giddy despite the possible reprisal on the horizon.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Can't run yet. My knee is still" Jamie broke off as the door swung open. "Hi mom. How was your night?"

"Fine. Your daughter was an absolute charm." Jasmine walked over to the bed, said child struggling to get down and crawl around. "You're awful chipper. Are you..." The woman suddenly dropped down, setting Nera down to crawl to her hearts content. Jasmine knelt low and checked under the bed.

"No one under the bed, mom. I was a good girl all night. Really. I promise."

Jasmine rolled her eyes and stood back up. "Now I know you're up to something. Anyway, where's your nurse. I wanted to check on your progress and see if we could start the journey home."

"Mom..."
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina had never been a woman possessed of much cunning, but when she heard Jaime's mother asking where she'd gotten to another idea hit her. One that would involve considerably less sneaking around. The native took a deep breath, picked up a pitcher of water and stepped out of the kitchen area as confidently as she could manage.

"Hi... hi-hi." She said, hoping the nerves didn't show, hoping even more that 'Jay-me' wouldn't react to the sudden change of plan. "Daughter's doing well, just need a little more healing. Then she'll be walking." A glint appeared in the kobold's eye. "Running, even. Wanna drink?"
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Jamie coughed to cover her laugh. "Water would be good, yeah."

Jasmine eyed the two with a I know you're up to something look, then swept up Nera and plopped her down on Jamie's belly. "Water would be lovely, dear. I'll just wait here until we can get Jamie's knee attended to and then she and I can take my grand daughter and get out of your way." Jasmine smiled. "Thank you for taking such good care of my daughter."
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"You're wer-come." Tamina managed, and poured the drinks into mugs for herself and her guests while her mind worked for a way out of the situation they were in. She found, to her surprise, that she had no dislike for Jamie's mother, just a fear that her... companion would be dragged away against her will and the kobold would never see her again. Tamina wasn't selfish by nature, but something about the girl triggered the 'I want' part of her brain and she'd be damned if she'd give her up just like that. She heard herself making small talk.

"Jay-me took care of me too. Was trapped. Bad men caged me. Brought me back here. Helped get rid of the plague." She flashed a shy smile at the pair. "Got knee hurt helping. The Killikah are grateful."

She was stalling, she could see a glint of recognition of the fact in Jasmine's eyes. Tamina sighed inwardly. She'd have to use her magic to fix Jamie's knee soon or the older woman would start asking who could do it and how quickly... her magic...

Just like that a solution to the dilema presented itself in the kobold's mind. She was well-rested, she certainly had enough juice in the mana-tank to fix Jamie up and have enough left over for an early-morning pick-me-up. One that would speed the pair out the door and a few hundred yards towards Grendell before Jasmine would know what had happened. But at the same time the thought caused a tightening in her gut. Running away from the Killikah without so much as a goodbye was something she couldn't bring herself to do. This was her home after all.

Maybe there was an alternative...

"Umm... Where will you go? Do you have to leave today?" She asked, not able to keep a tiny tremble out of her voice.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Well, of course," Jasmine responded, perplexed. "She needs to be home and properly wed. I doubt she'll find a good husband here. Why?"
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina swallowed, trying to summon up the courage to ask the next question.

"Could I... umm... could I..."

<"Tamina! I need you upstairs!">

The kobold winced and turned her head in the direction the shout had come from. Leli was calling her, with the perfect timing only an authority figure could manage.

"Ahh... never mind. Got to see Elder, be right back."

Tamina exited hurredly, not daring to look back, the feeling settling in her stomach that the day was going to be a chaotic one.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Well, what was that about? It sounded like she was about to ask for something but couldn't spit it out." Jasmine's eyes narrowed and she contemplated Jamie. "Tell me you haven't been up to old tricks again."

Jamie reached down and plucked Nera off the floor and began playing with her. "You wound me, mom. I'm sure she was simply going to suggest I stick around for a day so she can observe and make sure everything is alright before we leave. You know how healers are."

"Yes. I also know how my daughter is." Jasmine waggled a finger. "I'm going to go get some food for Nera and I. Don't you dare run off on me."

"She hasn't healed my knee yet."

"That's what makes me nervous." Jasmine roled her eyes and stepped out, leaving Jamie playing with Nera.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina pushed through the doors to the elder's hut on the floor above with anxiety written all over her face. Leli was waiting for her, arms folded, looking at the young woman with an unreadable expression. The native stood still, staring back at her teacher for what seemed like a long time before she finally spoke.

<"...I have a bag of coin I can give you to help you on your way. But I should let you know I'm expecting you to bring something back that's of use to this village, missy.">

The kobold's worries evaporated in an instant, she bit back a sob that was halfway between happiness and relief and hugged the older woman. Thank the Gods, Leli had seen it, she'd understood and she hadn't tried to stop her.

Leli patiently waited until Tamina had gotten herself back under control. She wiped a tear away from the kobold's eye and continued.

<"I was the same way when I was your age. So yes, I understand, Tammy.">

<"I was worried you'd be disapointed in me.">

<"Never in life. The Ralkin are gone and the plague vanished thanks to you and your friend's help. If anyone's earned a vacation, it's you. And, besides, the road'll be good for you. It'll give you a chance to expand your horizons, good for a fertile mind like yours. Just... don't forget about us."

Tamina shook her head vehemently at the Elder's suggestion. The idea of forgetting the Killikah was unthinkable.