Rinkaiel: Temple of the Divine Dwarf

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Rinkaiel: Temple of the Divine Dwarf

Post by Graybeard »

Layla heard the knock, recognized the source. "What's up?" she said as she opened the door.

[OOC: OK, so they're not all long treatises ... Besides, it's tax day...]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

The explanation didn't take long, Eve filled in the vineyard owner about the Silver Hands findings with rapid-fire impatience and no small amount of pacing. When she was finished, she stood with her arms crossed and faced the woman squarely.

"I thought we should head to the brothel now. We shouldn't give your ex-employee a chance to retrieve his brain from his underpants. Besides, he might know about the bastards who tried to kill me."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I thought we should head to the brothel now. We shouldn't give your ex-employee a chance to retrieve his brain from his underpants. Besides, he might know about the bastards who tried to kill me."

Now that was an interesting thought, Layla had to admit. She thought for a moment about rousting Joe and Oskar to join the Silver Hands, but decided against it. There were times when a leader had to lead from the front. "Right. I'm coming with you."

She went into the nursery, where a still-nervous Galina was enveloping her daughter in love. "Galina, I've got an errand to run. I'll be a little late for this morning's lessons. Why don't you hang out here for a while and enjoy someone else cooking breakfast?" She smiled ... but it was only skin deep.

Yes, we'll press him for information ... and then he'll have to die.

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eve grinned with barely contained giddiness at Layla's agreement. She secretly feared that the vineyard group would be reluctant to push things forward, but these were people of action so it appeared.

The three headed back to town at a quick pace, Bert shuffling self-consciously at the back.

"It's alway good to start the day by tying up loose ends." Eve smirked. "So what do you know about this guy? Any idea why he stabbed you in the back?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"So what do you know about this guy? Any idea why he stabbed you in the back?"

Damn good question,
Layla thought, but she wasn't going to say it now. "Occupational hazard with mercenaries," she answered neutrally, well aware that her companions fit that category as well. "The ones with, I guess I'd say, flexible ethics are always looking for a better deal. That kind of behavior needs to be discouraged." She snorted. "There was some ancient country where some wit said they considered it wise to hang an admiral now and then, to encourage the others. Same principle applies here."

They walked a little further, then Layla answered the other question. "Does he have anything to do with these people who keep pulling crap and then suiciding? I have no idea, but it would be nice to find out, wouldn't it?..."

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Very." Eve muttered, a clicking noise sounding from her belt as she jiggled the hammer of her revolver with her thumb.

"We're going to get arrested..." Bert moaned quietly to himself.

OOC All I've got right now./OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Layla guffawed. "Arrested? Not in Rinkaiel, we're not," she said. "The cops here are too busy sorting out their bribes from the Seeadler and other groups to bother with arrests, and the Seeadler don't bother arresting people who screw around in their zone of control. They just press-gang 'em and throw 'em in the ocean later. We --"

She broke off and moved closer to Eve.

"We're being followed," she whispered. "Magical. I can feel it, but I can't see it."

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eve's hand dropped to her gun at Layla's words, Bert hissed a warning.

"Not on the street Eve."

"Bugger that." The young merc grumbled. "I've had enough of wizards and weird magic for the week. Where's the bastard at Layla? I'll ventilate him for his trouble."

The mercenaries at the Barker lane guild were having some trouble of their own at that exact moment.

"What do you mean she's gone?" Jade asked, sleepily rubbing an eye.

"About half an hour ago." Rufus replied, pacing around the ground floor with his broken limp. "And I'd bet I know where."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Layla held up a hand. "Put that thing away," she said softly. "I'm not sure that what's following us is human. I just feel magic. Nothing I can see, I just feel it." I think these lessons are already doing me some good. "I'm not even sure where it is. We need to get a make on it. Any ideas?"

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eve flashed anger for a second at being restrained and then composed herself. She pondered Layla's question, a tic of amusement suddenly surfaced on her face.

"Well if I was wearing a dress with low enough clevage I'd suggest bending over to pick up a penny to distract them." She actually chuckled at the idea, ignoring the flush on Bert's face. "But since taking the low road isn't an option, how about we split up for a couple of minutes. Me and Bert go check out a store or something and meet you further down the road. If you can sense where it is you'll be able to tell whether it's following you or us."