Temple of the Divine Dwarf, part 2

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Temple of the Divine Dwarf, part 2

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Leo, near the back of the convoy, stiffened as he heard 'Oshima-san's' name mentioned. Only a few days previously he'd narrowly escaped a firebombing while on an investigation of the 'family'. It seemed that some answers were finally beginning to turn up.

'Oshima?' Jade mouthed back to him as though for confirmation, getting a nod in return.

'Gaijin bitch?' Mouthed Eve, glaring at the spot the voices were coming from.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Layla turned her attention to Eve for a moment and motioned for silence, but there was no need; the clinking of glasses could be heard from the building above them, and whatever meeting had been going on was now heading for social hour. (Besides, Eve hadn't actually said anything, just made motions as though she might. She's a professional, Layla noted approvingly.) She motioned the group to move back through the tunnel and into the liquor store ... but there was one more thing that she did hear that caught her attention.

"Any progress on recovering the Yuuki staffs that were stolen from Kinabalu's laboratory?" the "Oshima" voice asked.

"No, sir," the female voice answered.

"That is ... unfortunate," "Oshima" said after a brief pause (during which Layla could imagine a massive loss of face going on by person or persons unknown, which would be more painful to a Tsuirakuan than actual physical insult). "With one set of concerns dealt with, we should perhaps turn our attention now to that one. It must be clear to all concerned that one does not treat an Oshima's property in such a way."

"Yes, sensei," several voices echoed at once, and then the party resumed.

[OOC: Start here for the narrative line associated with the stolen Yuuki staffs, which had much to do with how Layla and the Gewehr got entangled with this crowd to begin with.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Jade exited the tunnel with a frown on her face. The references to yukki staffs had caught her attention. She found herself thinking about the 'rescue mission' through the warp gate near the vineyard which had turned into a raid on a weapons depot soon after. The mana-rifle and its twin were the result of the blacksmith liberating a yukki staff en route. She contemplated the weapon slung across her back and wondered whether it could be used to give the troupe a surprise entrance at the Oshima's tea party.

Eve followed her, patting down the dust from the tunnel and looking like she was spoiling for a fight. She talked in hushed tones to her contractor.

"We should take them now."The young merc said. "They're busy getting drunk and relaxing, they won't expect it."

Jade, to her surprise, actually found herself agreeing with her comrades tactical suggestion.

"I could use my baby to give them a hell of an opening shot." A glint appeared in her eye. "Or maybe a distraction would be more effective."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Layla fixed Eve with a penetrating look. "We're talking about people who had the skill to drop a magical bomb on a target three miles away. Think this through..."

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eve's face twisted into ugliness at the idea of her vendetta being put on hold.

"Well they wouldn't drop a magic bomb on the same room they were occupying!" She thumbed back the trigger on her revolver, snarling. "And i've never seen a sorcerer cast a spell with a bullethole in his throat!"

"Calm down Eve, Layla has a point." Jade said evenly. "Maybe an explosive entrance wouldn't be the best option."

Eve whirled on her companion with an accusatory tone. "You were for it two seconds ago!"

"I'm a blacksmith and a mercenary, not a military strategist." Jade replied and, then, to Layla. "Much as I'd like to blow the hinges off the front door and start barbarqueing people, I'd listen to your idea first."

Eve fell silent, but her clentching fists conveyed her feelings clearly.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Much as I'd like to blow the hinges off the front door and start barbarqueing people, I'd listen to your idea first."

And don't I wish I had one,
Layla thought. I have lots of thoughts about things that won't work... but that isn't particularly helpful.

Wait a minute.

"Can you people think of a way we might use those mana rifles as bait?" she asked.

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Jade shrugged and pointed to the tunnel the group had exited.

"Well, for a distraction, in a confided space like that a shot from the gun would blow a hole in the floor of the Oshima's meeting room, maybe even rock the foundations of the house a little." Jade stifled a cringe as she imagined the danger of being caught in such an explosion. "But as bait... umm... Leo?"

"Short of putting the thing outside with a big sign saying 'Free magic gun!' I'm not sure." He considered for a moment. "Eve or I could climb up to the roof and break a window, draw their attention while everyone causes trouble somewhere else. Carrying a rifle up there might be problematic with the recoil though."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Not a window here," Layla cautioned. "Their defenses will be up after Eve's little visit." In hindsight, that wasn't a good idea. "No, I had something more in mind like drawing them out of their fortifications. Spread the word in the bars and taverns, carefully of course, that there's a new magical weapon out there, and see who comes investigating. They won't do it in force; not their style. And if we can pick them off one by one ..." And if I can talk Galina into one little bit of magic for us, I think I know how to make it easier.

They were back to the liquor-store end of the tunnel, and Layla made sure that no sign of the tunnel was visible and that nothing was disturbed. "Remember, we're the good guys here," she said with a wink toward Jin-Liu. However, the look on his face suggested that more than a wink was going to be needed, so before the group dispersed to their beds, she sat down with the half elf for a minute.

"This is the way Farrel works," she explained, omitting certain uncomfortable details. "Legitimate operations like our vineyard are often under the protection of guilds, some of which are ... not so legitimate. We have to work that way because the cops in Farrel aren't worth a rat's ass to protect you themselves. In our case, we just cut out the middle man, and do the protecting ourselves. Saves money, saves time, and if you want a job done right, do it yourself." She smiled. "But we really are the good guys, like I said earlier. Really. Now let's go get some sleep."

Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

The explanation sounded reasonable enough, Jin-Liu supposed. He was fairly certain his new employer might be leaving a few details out, but after what he'd already seen, he didn't have much doubt as to their nature even if he didn't know the specifics. There was also something to be said for plausible deniability, although plausible might be stretching the truth of the matter a bit.

"I can respect that." He scratched at his chin. "Would you like some help with that magical weapon?"
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"She means this." Jade replied, unholstering the mana-rifle and holding it up for Jin-Liu to see. "Re-constructed from a busted up yukki staff and fitted with a high-calibre rifle casing." Her voice started to speed up, as it always did when the blacksmith was talking about her work. "Half the power coil from the staff is distributed down the length of the barrel and funneled through an inner tube and insulation to improve the aim over the original model and reduce magical discharge, of course it only has half the charge but this enables pinpoint... not pinpoint, maybe small plate point accuracy?"

"I don't think that term exi-" Leo tried to interject.

"...so I transferred a couple of the settings off the original and set them where the trigger would be. See? One for lightning, one for kenetic..."

"Jade? Jade? JADE!"

She caught herself mid-spiel and managed to pull to a halt. "Sorry. It's my baby. And a mother has pride." She finished.

"The rumour spreading sounds like a feasible idea." Leo said, responding to Layla's suggestion with an almost audible changing of gears. "And gossiping in pubs happens to be a speciality of mine. We'll get to work tomorrow."