Umbertiel, part 2 (Inquisition)

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Umbertiel, part 2 (Inquisition)

Post by Graybeard »

"It feels weird to me too," Brad said to Lillith. "I don't know why." He took Lillith's hand, and they started to walk back to the inn. An observer would have remarked that this was about the most serious and contemplative that Brad had been, when around his lady love, for quite some time. However, there weren't any observers, at least that they knew of.

Meanwhile, Sister Rose was entering the hallway with the guest rooms, quietly and deep in thought. The town was starting to wake up. It was still an hour or two before their session with the Inquisitors, which was good; some ... psychological preparation was probably called for. Not to mention breakfast.

The noises from the rooms occupied by Bryce and Maduin, and by Eli and Desiree, suggested that they weren't terribly distressed by what lay ahead. Well, that was good, Rose reflected. If all went well, the interviews shouldn't involve any of them. She reached her own room and tapped gently on the door, then called softly, "Argus? Are you ..."

She thought for a moment. "Decent" didn't seem right; of course Argus would be "decent." "Up" or "ready" might have certain ... implications. She settled for "... awake?" to complete the sentence and waited for his response.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus opened the door. "Yes, I'm awake," he sighed. "And exasperated with my familiar once more. Don't ask." His stomach growled. "I am also rather hungry, it seems," he commented. "Shall we see what's for breakfast?"

At Rose's nod the two walked downstairs, and noticed Brad and Lillith walking in. Hand-in-hand, no less. Well, well.

"Good morning, you two," Argus called out.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Lillith and Brad have been seen hand-in-hand before, for example here. Of course, Argus might still find it noteworthy. Anyway:]

Brad nodded greetings at his prospective (at least, from his perspective, hoped-for) father-in-law, but didn't look exactly cheery; "pensive" and "concerned" might be more like it. He was also unusually subdued as the serving woman brought him and Lillith their breakfast, other than fussing over it for a moment to make sure that his love's plate was vegetarian. He's worried, Sister Rose deduced; no need for the Empathy spell for that.

"We're not the only ones sensing something weird here," she told Argus, and then described the encounter with Cedric. "Brad will have to give you more background on him, but apparently he's doing a turn here as a novice. If one of the locals doesn't like the setup either ... well, it's starting to make me nervous too. And just as I thought the interview was going to be low-stress." She chuckled humorlessly. "Of course, nothing with the Inquisitor is ever low-stress, almost by definition."

She helped herself to the plate of bacon placed before them. "We should at least try to protect everybody from what we're going to have to do. Any ideas?" [OOC: This question extends to all players too. Thoughts on how to keep people entertained while Rose and Argus do what must be done? Drusia and Eli seem to have found something to do for the moment :twisted: , but all good things must end... Just grab something and go for it, as appropriate.]

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]I suspect that Drusia has already grabbed something. Two somethings. Anyway, tossing an idea out. It might get a bit complicated, though.[/OOC]

Lillith picked at her plate thoughtfully. "Perhaps what we should do is try to discover what it is about this place that is feeling slightly off. If the Inquisitors are doing something strange to cause the people and spirits of this place to react to it, it may be something we need to know about. It could be a threat, or even an opening to exploit, if it comes to that. I can try working with the spirits and see if they will share me with anything, maybe with Desiree's help. Brad can apply his knowledge of the Church and come at it from that end. Maduin might be able to bring a magical touch to things and see if he can learn something from that direction. Eli and Bryce might be able to ask around and see if they can learn something from the locals. Assuming they don't get lynched." Lillith made a sour face. "We may not find anything, but if there's something to find, I'd rather we found it before it surprises us."
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Nothing to add at the moment, unless anyone wants me to throw in a scene where Desiree's washing machine is broken and Eli turns up to fix it, and have him make some comment about how he should've brought a bigger toolbelt... possibly with Harker playing a wah-wah pedal in the background./OOC
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

"Morning," Bryce said cheerfully as he entered the common area, shirt untucked and only half-way buttoned, baring a good portion of his slightly hairy, well-muscled torso. He caught the serious mood almost immediately.

"I left Madds upstairs, Major," he said quietly to Rose, coming to stand next to her chair. "He's still a little rattled over what happened yesterday. I'm guessing that's the thing that's got everyone looking so serious?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Please just call me Rose," Sister Rose said mildly. "Some of the people in small towns don't take well to the idea of female military officers." I wish I'd realized that on that first visit to Roquiel. A quick look around convinced her that nobody outside their group had heard what Bryce had said; that was good.

"Anyway," she continued, "something just doesn't feel right here. We're all sensing it -- Lillith, Brad, myself." She left it unsaid that if Brad was so unsettled by the feel of the place as to not be mooning over Lillith -- particularly after they spent a night together, she thought -- then the wrongness of the feel must be very obvious indeed. "Is it connected to what happened yesterday? Probably, I don't know for sure, hard to say. Lillith had an idea about figuring out what's wrong." She smiled encouragingly at the girl; at least she hoped her look was one of encouragement. "It's certainly worth a try ... but you're going to have to do it without Argus and me, at least to start with, because we still have a date with the Inquisitor's people."

And somehow I don't think it's going to work out as tidily as Father Blaise was saying, she thought but did not say.

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Mmmm... that was nice. Very nice. I hope Eli has another time in him, but I'm sure I'll need to let him recover a little before I try. Meanwhile, it's nice just to be held. I rest my head on his chest, content.

"Have you ever thought about having kids?" I ask. I feel him start, probably in alarm, and I giggle. "Not with me, and not now - I mean, you know, in general. Someday." He's giving me a look. I stick my tongue out at him.

"Don't worry, I used a contraception spell, both last night and this morning," I tell him. "I was... well, I didn't during the festival, being a symbol of fertility and all. And the chances are pretty low, but... well, I was thinking about it."

OOC: ^^ There. That should keep us occupied for a bit.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Glad to see you're still having fun, D. :D /OOC:]

Breakfast finished, Sister Rose turned to Argus. "Well, we'd better get on with it. One thing: please put Harker in a Pocket Dimension, or a big sack, or something..."

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus nodded. "Just a moment."

A few minutes later, Argus was looming over Harker in their room. "Alright. I have to meet with an honest-to-weave church inquisitor. There is no reason to believe that this meeting will be friendly, and seeing a bipedal beaver running around will NOT help, especially if such a creature is being a massive pervert. DO I make myself clear?"

"...Disappear?" Harker queried.

"Disappear. Or BE disappeared. Your choice." There was a moment of silence. Finally, Harker walked over to a particularly big sack.

"I'll just be napping in here then. And carving wood. Quietly."

"Good. You do that."

Shortly thereafter, Argus was sitting down with the others again. "Mission accomplished."