The road to Getsemiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

The road to Getsemiel

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, new topic following the Gervasiel thread, nominally picking up right where we left off, but expecting an almost immediate fast-forward to morning ... as soon as one little loose end is tied up:]

"Whew!" Sister Rose said, rising from where she'd been poring over the diary. "I need a break, I'm pretty well Breed out at the moment. I --"

She thought about what she'd just said, then blushed briefly, realizing it could possibly be misinterpreted. On the other hand, it might provide a ... conversational opportunity.

"Uh, don't take that the wrong way," she smiled at Argus. "But please tell me you're not going to spend another night in that sleeping bag..." She smiled again, to make it clear that she was joking. Mainly. Partly? Who knows?

------------

Meanwhile, Ronnie delivered to the temple, Lillith and Brad were on the way back to the inn to tell Rose and Argus what had happened at the barn ... and Brad screwed up the courage to say something similar.

"Sweetheart, I -- I hope you don't mind if I stay with you again tonight." He looked around self-consciously. "I mean, there's so much weirdness going on here ... and it's so important to me that you be safe from any harm ..."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Re: The road to Getsemiel

Post by Drannin »

Argus smirked. "Well, I have been told that I'm awfully warm and cuddly," he said innocently, turning away.

Hey, she'd started it, after all.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Did he really say that? Sister Rose wondered, thunderstruck. Did I really say that?

Oh, what the hell.

She walked over to where Argus was standing, and put her arms around him from behind. "I will give you every chance to live up to your reputation," she said ...

... And that was when she heard a noise from somewhere near the door of the room.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Of course I don't mind, silly man. And not just because of the weirdness. You're very sweet, you know. Sometimes a little too sweet." Her smile took the sting out of it, and she took his hand in hers. "I think it's a bit charming, actually."

After a moment her eyes turned a bit more serious. "You don't think we're in any danger tonight, do you? Well, more so than usual? I could see if there might be something I can do before we retire for the night."
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus' heart went up to his throat. Rose had been so forward lately. He had thought that she was just messing around with him-

She kissed you, IDIOT-

But now, with her pressing so close to him from behind, her arms so gentle, her body so warm, so pleasant, so soft...

And then there was a muffled thump and the door opened.

FU-

And Harker walked through, his eyes bright and ecstatic, something raised in one hand triumphantly. He took one step into the room, mouth open to say something... and froze in mid-step.

There was a profound silence. No-one said anything.

Instead, expression and pose unchanged, Harker backed slowly out the door, closing it behind him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out in the hall, Harker smacked himself in the face.

He'd been about to show the Boss just how well inspiration had struck, but damn the timing had been bad. Rosey and the Boss were finally making some progress, and what happened?

Harker was understanding why some people found him annoying. He wondered how he could salvage things. This was depressing.

Screw it. He was going back to watching Eli and Desiree. That's cheer him up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Godsdammit," sighed Argus.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose was actually reaching for a button on Argus' shirt, and giving serious consideration to nibbling at his ear as she did it, when she heard the door open ... and saw a small bipedal form out of the corner of her eye ... and heard Argus curse.

She released him as though she'd suddenly found he was radioactive, not that that particular concept existed in the world of Errant Road, but the analogy works, doesn't it? "Oh good lord, Argus, I'm so sorry," she breathed. "I don't know what came over me there. I mean ..."

Without finishing the sentence, indeed without another word, she went to where the diary sat on the table, preparing to immerse herself in the last few entries of Sister Bree's life ...

But she still wasn't going to let Argus spend the night in that damnable sleeping bag.

[OOC: So with this little prologue out of the way, on to morning? Or does Argus want the last word?]

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus just stood there awkwardly, unable to formulate a complete sentence. Still, one thing kept occurring to him:

Which event, exactly, was he complaining about?

(OOC: Skip to morning is fine by me)
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Had Eli been asked a few days ago, he would've told the asker that monotony was the bane of his existance, that waking up in the same house, or the same circumstances again and again would've ground his patience to powder.

That, of course, was before Desiree took an interest in him, and for the second morning in a row the half-elf awoke to find the beautiful woman laying next to him, her face buried beneath a mussed-up mane of blonde hair (OOC going off the avvy/OOC) similar to his own. Eli watched for a moment, admiring her.

'Gods, even her snores are cute! Why didn't I notice her sooner?'

The answer was obvious. He'd been too wrapped up in the boredom of his existance to notice much of anything, much less the pretty Priestess and her show-stopping ceremonial dances.

Well, time to show a little more appreciation.

Eli got up and quiety got dressed. A moment later he was out the door in search of the kitchen.

"Breakfast in bed..." He murmured.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin bolted upright with a gasp, a gaze full of cobalt fire, harsh and relentless, still burning in his mind. He was trembling, breath ragged, skin clammy with sweat. He struggled to find calm, but the moment he closed his eyes, they were there again, blazing against the darkness.

"Maddy?" Bryce's voice was sleepy. "Hey. Hey." Sleepiness turned to alarm, and then he was pulling Maduin close against him, wrapping him in his arms. "It's okay. I'm here. Shhh. It's okay."

The trembling gradually stilled. Maduin managed to relax, loosening enough that he could lean against Bryce's broad chest, listening to the beat of his heart. He took a slow, deep breath.

Bryce's low baritone was soft. "Nightmare?"

"Yes." Maduin sighed, and shook his head. "I'm sorry." He started to pull away.

Bryce didn't let go of him or loosen his embrace. "Don't apologize."

For a long time Maduin simply let himself be held, and eventually, he found a small smile. "We should probably start getting ready to go. I'm sure they can hardly wait to give us our stern send-off."

"Mmm." Bryce curled a lock of Maduin's hair around his finger. "I suppose we should get your luggage, and I won't lie, it'll be good to put some dust between here and us."

Maduin nodded, and looked up at him. He kissed Bryce lightly on the lips. "Thank you."

"Hmmm. If I'd been doing my job properly you'd have been too busy dreaming of me to have any bad dreams." Bryce mock-frowned. "I'll have to work on that."

Maduin gave him a bright grin. "I think I"m having a beautiful dream right now."

Bryce kissed him back. "Guess I don't need to walk around without my shirt on then."

Maduin rolled his eyes. "I'm sure it's been done."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

As usual, Sister Rose was up early, leaving Argus snoring peacefully ...

... In bed.

She was surprised, as she slipped outside to say her prayers, to see Brad already there, in the garden. Had something gone wrong, to cause him to spend the night away from his beloved? No, he looked rapturously happy, as he knelt with his eyes closed, doing his own morning ritual praise to Luminosita. Rose thought about greeting him, but he didn't appear to notice she was there, and he just looked so cheerful. It didn't seem right to interrupt him.

Besides, Rose had something on her mind other than prayers.

The morning rituals completed (rather hastily and perfunctorily), she hurried to the inn's small stable, thanking Luminosita that they'd left the wagon there, not at the temple. Yes, the horses were there, in fine shape, and so was the wagon ... and sitting on its frame was the expected parrot. Without giving the code word yet, she scooped up the bird and headed back for the room, hoping that it wouldn't be too long before Brother Timothy joined her.

------------

The kitchen at the cloisters was indeed open; many of the novices, and even an older man who might have been one of the lay workers at the temple complex, had already been out doing their own morning prayers, in the garden outside the temple. Now they were queuing up for what looked like some manner of porridge, accompanied by surprisingly tasty-looking strawberries.

The older man, who'd been one of the stretcher bearers who'd been spooked by Rose the day before, cast a suspicious eye on Eli as he approached. "Mornin', stranger, Lum'nosity's blessin's be upon ye," he said, pleasantly enough. "But ... who be ye?"