The road to Getsemiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: The road to Getsemiel

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin wasn't deaf, and the horseman wasn't that far away. The byplay between Rose and Tim did not escape his attention either. So far the "local yokel" seemed extremely talented at getting under everyone's skin, and he didn't seem apologetic about it in the slightest.

Granted, he couldn't have known just how strongly Rose would have reacted, but he definitely could have gone about his inquiry in a much more subtle fashion. Still, he was only a provincial Veracian, so allowances really ought to be made, and aside from his present lack of tact, he'd made a fairly good showing of himself when he was inclined to be sociable.

Admittedly once they'd left town all of his manners seemed to have deserted him, but he was more than likely under a bit of stress himself, especially the way he looked at Desiree with his tongue hanging out of his mouth, full of desires that the consummation of would be in clear violation of what Maduin understood the strictures of his particular organization to be.

The poor boy was clearly in over his head.

Maduin regarded Tim thoughtfully. The question now - whether to throw him a life preserver, or watch him drown?

"In any case, good sir, I should like to extend my own sincere gratitude at your willingness to endure personal discomfort for the sake of compassion and out of consideration of foreigners," Maduin said warmly to the Veracian militiaman, sliding in between both Rose and Tim, neatly and inconspicuously dividing them. "You are clearly a gentleman of character, and a credit to your people." He paused, and raised a finger to one cheek, as though a thought had suddenly occurred to him. "Oh, and if you should encounter this woman, though I'd not recommend seeking her out judging by her description, please don't hesitate to cooperate fully in providing her with my description and where you found me, and assure her that I am entirely willing to assist in clearing up this misunderstanding. I'm sure everything can be resolved with civil discourse."

Maduin's smile warmed. "Thank you again for your courtesy, kind sir."
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Fred's brow crinkled as Maduin spoke. His vocabulary was a little beyond what the cheesemaker used day to day, but he had his letters and enough experience in the world to catch the main drift. "So you want me to point her your way then?" He looked to Tim, who slid his eyes Rosewards, and then looked to Rose for direction.

Tim was still steaming - he thought Maduin's affected style of speech was probably some kind of bookish-man's insult to rural Veracians - but he kept quiet. It was Rose's call on this one. He still meant to see Fred for a moment alone before the man left.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

I finish getting dressed and head outside. I look for Eli - I need a friendly face.

-- Desiree

OOC: Been busy with the holiday. Back now.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"So you want me to point her your way then?"

Luminosita's Sacred Sweatband, no,
thought a suddenly panicked Sister Rose. Hadn't anybody else heard about the "dark magicks" part of this woman's alleged arsenal? With inexplicable, powerful death magic seemingly lurking around every corner, could the appearance of such a woman be a complete coincidence? The last thing they'd need is someone to try to resolve a "misunderstanding" with, who could kill instantly with a word or a thought, and that was before getting to the guns and swords. Unless ... surely they're not thinking about using her as a guinea pig for testing our defenses, are they? No, that's unthinkable, we absolutely can't do that. She caught Tim's eye and gave a slight, but clear, shake of the head. He was observant, and that should suffice ... if the panic in her eyes didn't.

Lillith and Desiree were both emerging from the tent, looking awkward. Now what? Rose wanted to get on with the teaching; Desiree, at least, should be able to learn the Barrier spell, and the more of the group knew it, the better.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Brother Tim saw that his original idea, to get useful questions about the new enemy from Maduin, wasn't going to go anywhere. He now had little doubt that Maduin was the mystery killer who was drawing this string of enemies -- Argus, if he read the chemistry right, would've told Rose for her own sake at least. Besides, Maduin's latest response hinted at it.

With a slight tilt of his head, he indicated that Fred should walk with him (and the horse) back towards town. He made sure to be out of earshot, and speaking softly. Might Maduin be listening anyway, by magic? Well, there was nothing to be done if so - this all had to be said.

"First, sergeant, I want to tell you you've done extremely well in bringing us this message. Don't pay any mind to that business about 'not throwing her off the track.' You carried out your orders, and you did it right away, the way you always do. Sister Rose has a lot on her mind, this expedition, or she'd be more careful how she talked. I can't tell you what it's all about. But it's important, and we need the people we have right now."

Tim wasn't sure he believed all that, but he wasn't going to start backbiting the leader right here. Unless she went so far off-scale that she had to be removed, she had to be followed and obeyed. Her attitude tonight simply took some of the pleasure out of it. And if it ever turned out she was using him for some sectarian purpose, Reform versus Orthodox, or Cardinal versus Cardinal, instead of Veracia versus its enemies - there would be a reckoning. He had no idea how. But there would be.

(It was utterly unfair of him even to speculate that way, but he wasn't feeling fair just now.)

"Second, disregard what the Tsuirakuan was saying. We do not want that woman finding us in the middle of this mission. If there is some way to throw her off the scent, wonderful. But don't risk your life with her. She may have dangerous magic - I mean seriously dangerous magic - and if she has to fight someone, better us, who have some magic to meet it with. Better to stay away from her completely if you can. You need to get back to your creamery alive. That's job one. You hear me?" The sergeant nodded.

Maybe Rose wouldn't like that. But he'd be damned if he'd use his fellow townsmen as "dragon fodder" for these people. By the time they got through Shemmy's extended family, Umbertiel might be empty and burned to the ground.

He added a few personal hallo's for the missus and the kids, and the captain and the chandler. Then he let Fred leave, as he knew he wished to do, and returned to the camp. Rose, it seemed, was starting up the training again. That would have to be job one. But when it was done, he didn't want to get to bed 'til he made an excuse to walk off with Eli, all by themselves, and have some words.
Last edited by Alberich on November 27th, 2011, 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli had broken off from the main group in the aftermath of his impromptu 'magic lesson' and settled down at the edge of the camp, his head heavy with thoughts. The pressing matter of the death mage, coupled with his uncontrollable outburst of jealously earlier in the day which had led to blood being drawn, had left the half-elf with a sick feeling in his gut that was equal parts anger and fear.

So he sat, reaching into his pocket as a reflex to pull out the old harmonica sitting there, as was his habit whenever something was weighing on his mind. He blew a chord and launched into some old, sad song from his childhood, but his heart wasn't in it. His thoughts ran amok in his head.

'Hate them, hate them! This is all their fault! Humans and their ilk! Isn't it bad enough one of our parents seeks to exterminate us without the other viewing us as abominations as well? They would take everything I care for, and why? Because they believe its theirs by right! The flat ears shall inherit the earth, right?'

He scowled, not wanting to continue that train of thought but helpless to do anything about it.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus and Harker, for their part, had stayed out of the incident, only watched the sudden flare of personalities. Harker smiled up at Argus. "I love this group. Always something interesting happening!" Argus just grunted.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose watched the group interactions swirling around her with growing concern. There had been a palpable increase in interpersonal frictions ever since they left Umbertiel. What was going on? How much of it was attributable to this young Orthodox priest who'd joined them? Many Orthodox clergy didn't travel well. The discovery that the real world was more complicated than Luminositan ritual could be disconcerting. Luminosita's Nethers, she'd been stunned by some of the realities of life beyond the church, the first time she went on a mission to the wild north, and that despite an upbringing that was both more tolerant than average, from her denomination, and fairly well traveled, given her family's circumstances.

I'll just have to keep an eye on him, Rose thought as she gave the courier a standard Luminositan blessing for the road; that, at least, was one thing that most of the Veracian denominations did about the same way. (Of course, who could tell about the Calfornicans?) As he walked off with Tim (why is he giving me those surreptitious glances?), talking softly about something (should I be concerned about that?), she turned her attention to Lillith and Desiree -- something didn't seem right there either, but a job had to be done. "Let me show you this enhanced Barrier that we came up with," she said. "Desiree, you shouldn't have much trouble picking it up. Lillith, you might find it harder, because your -- magical approach takes a little longer to gather the magic, you don't do 'spells' the way most magic wielders do. But it's important to try, because we may need some defenses when we find Blaise that we can erect quickly, on the spur of the moment."

And Luminosita grant that things don't deteriorate to the point where we're having to use defenses against each other, the way things apparently worked with Eli and Tim, if I read things right, she thought but did not say.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim saw that Rose was now teaching Lillith and Desiree what he'd just finished learning. That might take a little while, and he needed to practice what he'd learned already before proceeding further anyway. Stepping back from them, he spoke casually to Brad. "I just remembered," he said, "Desiree left her robe in the forest. Looked kind of expensive, might have her things in it. While Rose is bringing the ladies up to speed, I'll just go fetch it back."

He looked over where Eli was brooding darkly, and spoke in Eli's direction. "And maybe Eli could come along with me - so we could watch each other's backs."

Brad replied with the proverbial "!" - but Tim was already away. And very much hoping that Eli would come along. And no one else. The two of them had some things to talk about, and the time was now. He paused at the edge of the trees and invited him with a tilt of his head.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Let me show you this enhanced Barrier that we came up with," she said. "Desiree, you shouldn't have much trouble picking it up. Lillith, you might find it harder, because your -- magical approach takes a little longer to gather the magic, you don't do 'spells' the way most magic wielders do. But it's important to try, because we may need some defenses when we find Blaise that we can erect quickly, on the spur of the moment."

I glance at Lillith. I'm not sure about my composure at the moment. Having an offer of friendship - a plea, really - thrown back in my face like that... I just want to go sit with Eli and feel like someone in the world actually cares about me. No, that isn't fair - mother cares for me, even if she was the one who sent me on this suicide mission. And Rose... I'm not sure what I think of Rose anymore.

"Yes, all right," I sigh. Barrier spell, huh? I'm okay at defensive magic. It isn't a forte, but it's easier than any of the more offensive evocations.

"I know how to do a personal barrier," I tell her. "It's not much - it just sort of pushes projectiles aside." Less a brick wall and more a gentle shove, causing weapons to be nudged slightly to the side. It works on melee weapons as well, but not as effecitvely, and it can't do much of anything against a straight thrust.

"Does this one work differently?" I hope it isn't a direct force against force evocation - I've never been very good at that sort of thing.

-- Desiree