Getsemiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: Getsemiel

Post by Porcelain Fish »

[OOC: Just a quickie, I'll have something more substantial later today if schedule permits.

Both airships are booking pretty quickly here (at least I've been trying to intimate that), and as I recall, it's two hours by wagon to the bay (presumably back again too) so I would think Rose and that cart would have to be literally flying themselves to arrive before both vessels were well departed. In fact I'd say its likely they'd have come in sight of Getsemiel after both of them had gone. Not a big thing, but one might wonder if Rose herself is secretly a time-ninja. ;)

Also, satellite is still a crispy-critter at home. Apologies folks, I really hadn't planned on it. Hopefully it gets replaced soon.

LOL for the beam of light. Very alienesque. I was thinking a cable lift, but I like it![/OOC]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC:
Porcelain Fish wrote:[OOC: Just a quickie, I'll have something more substantial later today if schedule permits.

Both airships are booking pretty quickly here (at least I've been trying to intimate that), and as I recall, it's two hours by wagon to the bay (presumably back again too) so I would think Rose and that cart would have to be literally flying themselves to arrive before both vessels were well departed. In fact I'd say its likely they'd have come in sight of Getsemiel after both of them had gone. Not a big thing, but one might wonder if Rose herself is secretly a time-ninja. ;)

Also, satellite is still a crispy-critter at home. Apologies folks, I really hadn't planned on it. Hopefully it gets replaced soon.

LOL for the beam of light. Very alienesque. I was thinking a cable lift, but I like it![/OOC]
This all fits, actually. I have Rose and the wagon cresting the ridge that separates Frobish Bay from Getsemiel, and therefore a good half hour away from town, although they can see it fairly well. They would have made somewhat better time coming back than going to the bay to begin with, for several reasons (lighter load, cooler and more conducive to not overtaxing horses, etc.). Couple that to the fact that Fayna had to spend some time on the fire-fighting water, and also some time finding whoever they're looking for (Getsemiel is not so small a town as for this to be completely trivial), and I think the travelers would at least be able to see Fayna's airship at a distance. They would NOT have seen the other airship, however.

Good luck on the satellite situation!

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

[OOC: Fair enough. :) Incoming drama![/OOC]

The bridge was quiet. The sun was well down at this point. The tea had gone cold quite some time ago. Fayna sat motionless on the lushly upholstered couch behind the helm, gray eyes fixed on the star-flecked darkness outside, mouth flat, expression cold. Her fingers were knotted around an ivory comb set with chips of malachite.

Jerecht stood nearby with a quiet air of patient resignation, hands folded.

Bryce sat on the floor, elbows resting on his knees, jaw tight, green eyes sharing Fayna's same focus on the horizon. It was hard to tell if he was praying, worrying, or brooding.

"Helm?"

The address was the same, the question behind it unchanged. The dark-haired young man at the console rubbed his eyes and glanced over the crystal displays, fingers sliding as he rechecked what his instruments were already telling him. "They haven't yet heaved to, Miss. They appear to be still running at full burn. As near as I can tell, we aren't falling behind, but we don't seem to be catching up either. The model may be a decade old, but if those engines are the same she was built with, they aren't showing their age."

Fayna stood, and looked down at the comb in her hands for a long moment. "Crew is relieved," she said finally. "Get some dinner and head to your bunks. Six hours, everyone. General alarm will sound if we come up on the other vessel."

The three crewmembers filed out past her, each with a dip of their head and a mumured "Miss Cleiviein." Fayna appropriated the elevated stool the helmsman had occupied. Jerecht laid a hand gently on her right shoulder, gave it a light squeeze, and took over one of the other consoles.

"It shouldn't be that damned fast!" she snarled suddenly, balled fist coming down on the console in front of her with a loud bang.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Clearly heavily modified," Argus noted. "I have to wonder who did the alterations." His visage darkened. "Fayna, that's my real question. I've been out of touch for six years. You've been very active. You know the ebb and flow, the pulse of the city. Do you have any idea who might have done this? Any enemies Maduin may possess?" He glanced at the displays. "...Who might have the resources to outfit a ship like this?"
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"They just lost people, and I don't think they're exactly sober, and they just saw something they couldn't explain. Just... be nice, okay?"

Eli fought the urge to give Desiree a sardonic look and turned it into an abashed one instead.

"Yeah, uh, sorry. Sarcastic Eli will shut up now." But even so the half-elf couldn't stop a mocking grin from rising to his lips at the sight of the priest pressing his forehead into the dirt like a man doing drunken press-ups.

"For the record." He murmured. "The fertility festivals beat this stuff ten times out of ten."
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

"That's just it!" Fayna threw up her hands in frustration. "The only players in Tsuiraku who realize who he really is are either on my team, under my thumb, or in no position to ever make use of the knowledge. His family is a bunch of nobodies from the outskirts of the city. Besides, if they were Tsuirakuan and they did realize his importance, they'd have made their demands known by now. There's not even a dumb brute threat to his health and personal safety to try and balk pursuit. They're just running flat-out, like a dog that's stolen a steak."

She drew in a deep breath, the chill returning to her features. "It's not an ambush. They would have sprung the trap a long time ago. They're either too frightened to stop, or they're headed for somewhere they think they can lose us. As for Maduin having enemies . . . well, you've met Maddy. You know." She shrugged, a little helplessly. "He just . . . charms people. One minute you're furious at him for going behind your back and making deals with people you were planning to ruin forever, or telling you not to lose your temper and not just blast someone for being utterly insufferable, and the next you're eating the chocolate muffins he baked, and he's doing your nails, and you're wondering why it seemed like such a big deal in the first place, because in hindsight, it all makes perfect sense. A place for everyone, and everyone happy in their place."

Her features darkened. "That's what has me worried, Daddy. Maddy is eminently reasonable. The behavior displayed thus far by these people is not reasonable. No sane Tsuirakuan would be behind this. I think this may well be something else."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose watched as the airship headed northeast at a most un-airship-like rate of speed, and that got her thinking.

Wow. We Veracians don't have anything like that, not even close. I'll have to make a report on that; it's still one of my duties. And another thing ... She didn't like this next part at all, but judging from the way Brother Tyler was still deep in prayer, it had to be faced.

I don't like the implications of the way he's acting. That unfortunate matchup between Luminosita's name, old-style, and the Cleiviein crest ... what if there's another Mage/Priest War, and the Tsuirakuans learn about the way that crest makes some of the more credulous people behave? The consequences could be bad, very bad, worse than that semi-mythical Horse of Troyanel that we've heard about.

She really didn't like the next part of the thought.

And the crest that's causing that behavior -- belongs to the man I'm falling in love with.

She physically shook herself out of that line of thinking. "We'd better get moving," she told the others. "There are wounded to heal down there. Next stop is the temple, so they can tell us where we're needed most." The wagon lurched into motion, and she almost didn't care whether Tyler was coming with them or not.

[OOC: If people don't mind, I'd like to open a new thread pretty soon, because this one is getting way beyond our usual length. Everything can just take off without missing a beat, no pauses/fast-forwards or anything. Let's keep this one going until everything is at a reasonable stopping point, then switch.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli pulled the hat down harder on his head and nodded acknowledgment to Rose's suggestion.

"It seems every other place we go to we wind up having to bail people out with magic." He said.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

In sleepy silence Brother Tim acquiesced to whatever Rose chose.

[OOC: New thread suits me.]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Yeah, uh, sorry. Sarcastic Eli will shut up now." But even so the half-elf couldn't stop a mocking grin from rising to his lips at the sight of the priest pressing his forehead into the dirt like a man doing drunken press-ups.

"For the record." He murmured. "The fertility festivals beat this stuff ten times out of ten."

I flash Eli a faint smile. "I very much agree," I tell him quietly. "I didn't say I liked their religion - just that it wasn't right to make fun of it. Anyway, if you want to commune with our gods later... I think that might be nice. You know - good for me to remind myself that Anilis is still looking out for me and all..." I think I'm going to need that after what we're coming up on. If it wasn't a crazy mist monster (apparently that was just the airship) then what did this?

"It seems every other place we go to we wind up having to bail people out with magic." He said.

"Well, that is what magic is for," I reply absently.

I was pretty shaken up by everything that happened today - I need to get my mind in the right place to be casting spells soon. If we had time - and a little privacy - I might take Eli for a quick tumble now and reach out to the goddess that way, but we don't and there isn't and I doubt the others would appreciate the spiritual aspect of it anyway. I'm not even sure Eli appreciates that aspect - he doesn't seem like the most faithful guy at the best of times.

So... I guess I'll just try to think calm thoughts and hope that helps.

-- Desiree