Getsemiel, part 2

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Getsemiel, part 2

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"You're usually not that rough. I mean, I liked it, but... is something the matter? Or were you just feeling a little kinky tonight?"

Eli gazed into Desiree's eyes. At that moment he was totally focused on her. The 'wired' sensation he'd been feeling a few hours before was gone; what was left behind was a rapidly descending exhaustion and a feeling of gratitude towards the woman he'd been lucky enough to get together with.

"Maybe it's the fresh air." He said, and smiled. "Or maybe it's just that you're so damn beautiful... and kind." He leaned in and kissed and priestess softly then slumped back onto the pillow, his eyelids feeling like lead weights, his voice quieting. "That... and I was definitely feeling a little... kinky."

A moment later the half-elf's eyes closed shut.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Maybe it's the fresh air." He said, and smiled. "Or maybe it's just that you're so damn beautiful... and kind." He leaned in and kissed and priestess softly then slumped back onto the pillow, his eyelids feeling like lead weights, his voice quieting. "That... and I was definitely feeling a little... kinky."

"That's good," I say softly. I mean that he's not upset, but I don't mind the double meaning either. I watch him fall asleep almost immediately.

How guys can do that... oh well.

"Goodnight," I murmur, careful not to wake him. I curl up next to him and close my eyes.

-- Desiree

OOC: Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Hope everyone enjoyed Valentine's Day as much as Eli and Desiree. :twisted: So moving on to morning:]

Brad emerged from the small stateroom at first light, with a big grin on his face. He was on the way to the head, to ... well, cast a Hygiene spell, when he noticed something.

"Hey, we're a lot closer to that other airship now," he said to one of the crewmen. "And it looks like it's starting to turn around. What's about to happen?"

-----------

Sister Rose's awakening was neither as cheerful nor as eventful. She'd gone to sleep easily enough -- the spellcasting had left her fatigued -- but several times during the night, she awakened to find herself checking on whether she was still the sole occupant of her bed. Unfortunately, it was always so.

She slipped quietly outside for morning prayers, noting that the rest of the Calfornican temple was still slumbering. It would figure, she thought, that they wouldn't be early risers. (A distinctive residual aroma from the "herbs" used at last night's Rite of Repose left little doubt about that.) She had the garden all to herself as she knelt in prayer ... except for the parrot that was eyeballing her from the branches of a fig tree. It had the distinctive headgear of a bird that had flown through the night.

Uh, oh, she thought, pausing in her prayers to take the message; a bird this early in the morning wouldn't be good news, and would probably mean there was another mission coming.

She was right.

[OOC: A bit rushed this morning before work, the parrot's message will be given later today.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Looong post on the way. Had this one in the making for months now. :)/OOC

Eli shifted uncomfortably in his sleep. In his dream he was standing on the edge of a volcano, staring into the core of magma. The half-elf wanted to tear his gaze away but he was rooted to the spot, the light from the core was pulsing with a hypnotic rhythm, drawing him in. Against his will he edged closer and closer to the rocky edge, feeling it crumbling underneath him.

'I'll slip.' He thought. 'Any moment now...'

In his heart he understood that the thing in front of him was of his own creation and, even more terrifying, that he wanted to step in. There was power in there and it could be his if only...

With a cry the outcrop gave way. He started to fall.

Eli's eyes snapped open, his hand clamped over his mouth instinctively to stifle a scream that hadn't come. The room drifted into focus.

'Ye Gods! That was so vivid! The light...'

Slowly it dawned on the half-elf that the light he'd seen in his dream was still there. He craned his head to see its source, and found it. The amulet he'd been given, now laying on a table at his side of the bed, was giving off a regular pulse. Even in a state of still waking up he could feel the energy emanating from it. With a trembling hand, helpless to resist the urge, Eli reached over and picked the artifact up.

'Good morning, half-elf.'

He was wide-awake immediately. He knew that voice, it was the same one which had given him the gift he held in his hand. It seemed the object had a secondary function he hadn't guessed at; a communications device.

'Who are you?' He sent back at it. 'What do you want?'

That laugh came again. A tittering, high-pitched noise that seemed to grate directly on his nerves.

'Now, now. Is that any way to greet your benefactor? My present to you helped, didn't it?'

Eli conceded this was so, but curiosity was too strong to deny.

'No-one wants something for nothing. What is it? Are you spying on me?'

'Not so closely... but that display at the coast yesterday was entertaining, wasn't it?'

'I don't need your help.' He thought savagely.

'Very well, I'll withdraw my services.' The glow in the amulet began to fade. Panic seized the half-elf, all that power being taken from him...

'No! Wait! Wait!'

The glowed returned immediately, as did the eerie voice.

'I thought you'd listen to reason. You liked it, didn't you?' That feeling of strength?'

Eli remained silent.

'We should really talk in person.' The man continued, now sounding eager. 'There's a small wood to the east of the outskirts of town. I will be there for the next hour. if you're not, then I'll take that as a sign that you no longer want my help. Come alone.'

The amulet went dead. The half-elf bit back a cry of dismay that he could hardly credit. He wanted to shake the thing, call into it to make the mana come back. Instead he took a deep breath and let it out slowly. After a moment he'd composed himself.

A few minutes later he'd slipped quietly from the room, closing the door on the still unconscious Desiree.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim's sleep had been deep, but a longstanding instinct had him up early for morning prayers. The bed was tempting - it was twice the size of anything he was used to. But lying there would mean going over yesterday's failures, defeats, resentments, and frustrations, then getting up bitter. Better by far to get on with today. He washed, shaved, and left.

On his way to the garden, he saw Eli, also dressed and ready for the day's adventures. Well and good! Tim wished him a cheery good morning on his way to prayer.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

The crewman in question who'd been waiting outside Brad and Lillith's door was actually Sanjin, the olive-skinned, slightly short, somewhat burly Tsuirakuan from the previous evening who'd brought tea up to the bridge. He glanced out the porthole, eyebrows rising slightly. It wasn't the Veracian ship from the previous evening - they'd left that vessel behind within minutes of sighting it. This one was flying pennants in Farrelian colors.

"Probably a course correction," Sanjin said absently. He pointed at the broad sails extended to either side of the vessel on long spars, four in total, the system of pulleys and leather straps that extended and retracted the sails giving them a webbed look. "They call those particular ships dragonflies. It's more apt than you might expect. See the twin envelopes behind the sails? Those are coated with a thick, rubberized, insulated sealing resin and filled with water and a specially mixed and enchanted magical compound. More heat, and more of the liquid turns to gas, giving more lift, and also increasing the air activity around the envelopes because of the temperature, which helps drive the sails. If they cool it, they have ballast, because more of the contents are liquid. It's not a particularly fast ship, and not really all that maneuverable, but it is very stable, which is why merchants outside of Tsuiraku tend to favor them."

He gave Brad a reassuring smile. "You'll probably be seeing a great deal many more as we come closer to Taileas Gai. Miss Cleiviein expects that is our fugitives' destination of choice. It's actually not a bad place to hide since it's a rather busy airship port if you're flying a common class and make, but we're quite confident we can continue to track the sky-slip all the way to the dock since it's anything but. It then becomes simply a matter of reacquiring Mr. Lochlear with a minimum of fuss so as not to upset the local authorities." He gestured back at the window where the other airship was now beginning to make a ponderous turn to the right of their position. "See there? They've adjusted their course to take a wider tack. They're probably headed to the same place we are and don't want to be caught in our wake." He cleared his throat. "Speaking of which, Miss Cleiviein wished that you be advised that we'll be arriving in a little less than two hours, probably closer to an hour and a half. Breakfast is served in the galley down the hall, up the stairs, and to your left."

"We're still on their trail?" Fayna asked as she entered the bridge, dressed in a gown of fiery red-gold, a pair of ruby earrings in her ears, a teacup in one hand. Her gray eyes were clear and alert, her expression calm and collected, manner confident, showing no trace of the concern from the previous night.

The helmsman turned and gave her a crisp nod. "Yes Ma'am. As you expected, they still appear to be making a beeline for Taileas Gai, but we're locked on. We can follow them right to their berth."

"Excellent. Put a line through to the Windwalker Palace. I'd like to have a word with Duke Carless."

A polite knock sounded at Argus's door.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: A brief thing before Rose listens to the parrot:
Porcelain Fish wrote:"Excellent. Put a line through to the Windwalker Palace. I'd like to have a word with Duke Carless."
I think it was established, in the early stages of Errant Road (and in connection with some inexplicably ... royal ... candidate characters), that in the known (read: known in Errant Story itself) parts of the Poe-verse, there are no nobility any more. (Thus saith Impy.) This implies that if the "Duke Carless" reference is to be taken literally, we have to be off the map -- most likely in the Far North, given the direction the airships were going. There's no reason why that can't be the case, but we'll probably want to proceed carefully to avoid clashes with canon. Anyway, to pick up with the parrot:]

(UNCLASSIFIED) More bad news, I'm afraid.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) The flight of Father Blaise is causing a fairly major crapstorm over at the Pleasure Dome. Rumor is that Patriarch Jeramel is personally pissed off that you weren't able to bring him in. Don't worry about it too much, you were set an impossible task and he'll figure that out eventually. Venal and obnoxious he may be, but unintelligent, he is not. However, there are implications.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) I have been instructed to order you to continue your pursuit of Blaise using, quote, "all means at your disposal." The only official limitation on that is that you're not supposed to cause an international incident. (There are still some sensitivities over there about what happened with OCRAP, apparently.) That's the good news -- relatively speaking.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) The bad news is that this is now a "Plausible Deniability" situation. I trust you'll know what that means.
Rose groaned; that she did, and Brad and Tim, at least, had to know about it. That limits the official help we're able to give you. Unofficially, we'll do what we can, and I've already been in touch with Father Redmond and Sister Margaret at the Kiyoka mission. They assure me that they'll stand with you, screw the Plausible Deniability. If your speculation that Blaise is heading for Tsuiraku turns out to be correct, that may be valuable.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) As evidence that he's not as PO'd as he sounds, Jeramel also sends his thanks to you and your party for the medical work at Getsemiel. Please pass this along, but at the same time, do you think what happened there had anything to do with Blaise? Please reply at your earliest opportunity on that one.

(UNCLASSIFIED) Good luck. This is getting ugly. Let me know via a RAGWEED parrot if there's anything we can do to help -- unofficially, of course.

Bernie

"Plausible Deniability," Rose groaned to herself as the parrot expired. Yeah, I know what that means all right ... "Tim, we have to talk," she said as she saw the young -- Orthodox -- priest approaching.

Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

[OOC: Oh don't worry, he's not a Duke in the inherited blood line sense. But you're always going to have men with big egos accrediting themselves with big titles. Some of them are even deserved![/OOC]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: I'm going to be intermittent until Tuesday, so I'm going to assume Tim saw Eli safely to wherever he's going, and came back to find Rose waiting to talk to him. Big wall-o'-text coming that I hope is useful background on the Reformed Veracian Church, with the key question at the very end...]

"I've got my next mission," Sister Rose announced to Brother Tim, "but I'm not sure you and the others are going to want to join me on it. Let me explain ..." Momentarily she wished that Brad and Lillith hadn't gone haring off with that airship; what she was about to say would affect her cousin too. Well, it couldn't be helped. She went on.

"When the deal was cut, decades ago, to let our Reformed branch continue as part of the Church of Luminosita, there were some -- understandings. The main one is that we'd handle a lot of the things that involved interacting with the world beyond the borders of Veracia and Farrel. That's why the Special Forces have an excess of officers who are Reformed, and why most of the overseas missionaries are Reformed people. It works well for everybody: Orthodox clergy stay out of settings that they're uncomfortable in, we get to get out and see the world, and the Church keeps us magic-using, outward-looking oddballs well cordoned off from the more conservative parishioners who don't like magic and wish the rest of the world would just go away." A humorless chuckle. "Never mind that those folks would be better off if they did use magic for things beyond healing. They think they wouldn't, and that's all that matters."

Now comes the hard part. "But there is a price for this arrangement. Every now and then, something comes along that the Patriarch wants done, but is -- I guess I'd say 'unorthodox' enough that it might be embarrassing to the Church if something goes wrong while it's happening. And so there's this thing called 'Plausible Deniability.' It means that if we're out doing one of those things, and it all goes to hell, the Patriarch can say to the Tsuirakuans or the elves or whoever, 'Oops, it looks like our Reformed people are getting out of hand again. Our most holy and Orthodox Church of Luminosita apologizes for those mavericks. We'll discipline them --' which might in principle mean anything all the way up to excommunicating the culprits and declaring our denomination heterodox -- 'and not let it happen again, so sorry, but everyone has loose cannons.'"

She took a deep breath and picked a lotus leaf before she continued. "So to make a long story short, the message I got from base said that we're supposed to keep looking for Blaise, and bring him back in. That's no big surprise. But the thing is: they've decided this is now one of those Plausible Deniability situations. If I -- we -- screw up, the Patriarch will deny all knowledge of what's going on, and we're hung out to dry." Another dry chuckle. "At least we won't just be excommunicated or exiled or executed on the spot. They'll just pretend they don't know us."

She paused to look Tim straight in the eye. "So, to put it bluntly: do you still want to be associated with me, and our mission, under conditions like that? I'm telling you all this so you can make your own decisions. I'd like to have you with us, but if you don't think you can do it, I'll understand." She nibbled at the lotus leaf as she awaited Tim's reply.

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: As you like it; my intent was to give Eli the chance to ask Tim along for backup, if he wished to do so (Tim doesn't know anything about what Eli's doing so he wouldn't volunteer unless asked. I'll write my own response later on. Have a good three-day!)]