Getsemiel, part 2

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Re: Getsemiel, part 2

Post by Alberich »

Tim adjusted quickly. He'd already absorbed why it should be a woman talking to Desiree when they found her - that's what they'd done in the hospital in Emerylon, too, at least for the day to day nursing. He couldn't imagine that Desiree was facing anything that Rose and Argus couldn't handle, even if Maduin disappeared again and Bryce went off looking for him. He liked to think he had some charm and was good at getting people talking. But he really didn't have reason to think he was so good outside of his own community, let alone his own country. Besides which, he liked the airship and its crew, and found the whole flying experience thrilling. And on top of that, Rose didn't really need a squabble just now. With a quick "yes'm," he went that way.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose turned back to Argus, her expression wistful. "I feel like a rat for doing that," she said. "Unfortunately, the reason I gave him is absolutely correct. We stick out like a sore thumb here, and him wandering around, looking foreign, by himself, and being the small-town boy in a big city, just couldn't end well. For that matter, we should probably disguise ourselves a little bit too. Is anybody watching?"

Nobody seemed to be, so her eyes got that shape-shifting glow to them. However, it wasn't so much her shape that was changing as some other things. There were a few minor wardrobe adjustments, but the big change was to her skin tone, now a couple of shades darker than it had been, just a touch lighter than average for Farrelites (one could only go so far with that magic) but entirely adequate to pass.

"Do you like it?" she smiled at Argus. "Just remember, if we'd stayed in Getsemiel, soaking up rays in the baths, we'd have been like this in a few days anyway. Now we just have to come up with a reason why a distinguished Tsuirakuan gentleman would be hanging around with a local. Can you think of any?" A wink as they set off in the direction they were guessing Desiree had taken.

-------------

Meanwhile, Keyes was homing in on an unsuspecting Tim, a large bag slung over his shoulder.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli had had just about enough of dead ends and dead relatives for one day, even the disapearance of Desiree in light of her giving him the cold shoulder seemed like a minor point in light of recent events.

"I'm going back to the tavern." He said. "We can deal with my uncle's business associates in the morning."

'Besides...' He thought, as he turned to leave and felt the slim rectangular shape in his pocket. '...I have some reading to catch up on.'

"These men, they will give us money, silver, shiny things, if we can find him and bring him back. Even dead! Can you feel that energy and use it to follow him? If he tried to kill you, I'd like to kick his, you know-- heinie."

Tamina nodded at Udo's suggestion but it was an expression tinged with doubt. The last time she'd seen the man in the bounty letter she'd been certain he'd been dead. Jaime had put a gun against his temple and pulled the trigger, and his carcass had been lying on the ground after she'd carried her unconscious lover back up to the...

Wait.

Had it?

The kobold searched her memories and was dismayed to find that she wasn't sure, and if Fucilious had gone to town when infusing the man with his bad mojo, his vile experiments, it wasn't inconcievable that Gabriel was up, walking around and killing people for Gods knew what reason... and if he was still working with the Ralkin...

"Maybe... umm... try to find him later?" She said in a timid voice. "Don't know where he is. Might be bad to go just the two of us. Tough shallir*, hard to stop. Maybe... umm... he'll be there at the meet? In the morning?"

*-insert animal related expletive here.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

I think... I'm lost.

Well, sort of. Going in circles anyway. At least, I'm pretty sure I've passed this brothel before. It actually looks kinda nice - if I wasn't scared of Eli catching up to me, I might have considered seeing about temp work here to make some travel money.

The stupid streets around here are like a damn maze! Okay, I came from that way, I think, and I tried going that way, but I ended up back here... so... that street over there then?

I turn around and nearly trip over Harker. He's staring at one of the young women currently giving several potential customers a visual preview of what they might enjoy within.

Run, while Harker's distracted!

"... oh screw it," I sigh aloud.

I pick up Harker, walk over to a statue in the little square out in front of the brothel, and sit down on the dirt, my back against the statue, Harker in my lap like a child or large pet.

"Thanks for looking out for me," I murmur to Harker, giving him a kiss on the top of his furry head. And then I sit back, watch the show, and wait for Argus and whomever else to find me.

-- Desiree
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Harker patted Desiree's hand with surprising gentleness. "No worries. You had this look I'd seen before, and well... I didn't want you to disappear like the boss did."

The two just sat there a moment, Desiree with a long stare, Harker gazing intently into her face, with not a trace of his usual perversion to be found. "You alright? That was a helluva thing to go through. Can't blame ya for wanting to some time to yourself. Not a good part of town to do it though." Desiree just sighed. Harker nodded, as though understanding. Maybe he did. "...Listen. If you really want to go home, I know my way around, and I know how to do it really quietly. I can take you back to your village. But I don't think this is the right time. It'd be like giving up, and I don't think you really want to do that. Too much left unresolved, you know?"

Desiree stroked Harker's head silently. He sighed in response. "Well, it's your call. Lemme know what you think. But I figure the best way to get back at those jackasses that did that to you... is to become even stronger for it." He pulled out some paper and a pencil. "Now, while we're waiting, I'm gonna make a sketch of that little free show over there." He winked up at Desiree. "Feel free to pose for me later." That said, Harker set to work.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Argus smirked. "I can think of a reason or two." Very pleasant reasons, at that. "But for our purposes, let's just go with 'business associates,' and let everyone fill in their own blanks." With all that implied. Argus found the implications to not altogether unpleasant, really.

Oh just admit it. You'd love to take Rose into one of these hourly-rate hotels and get rid of this weird tension between the two of you once and for all.

Why yes. Yes he would. But now was really a bad time for it.

<"This way. Harker and I set up a couple of signals in case we got separated, and it just kicked in. I'd say he found Desiree.">

Lo and behold, the path they took was loaded with said hourly-rate hotels. Clearly the fates were mocking him. Or sending him a message, who the hell knew...
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tamina nodded at Udo's suggestion but it was an expression tinged with doubt..."Maybe... umm... try to find him later?" She said in a timid voice. "Don't know where he is. Might be bad to go just the two of us. Tough shallir, hard to stop. Maybe... umm... he'll be there at the meet? In the morning?"

Udo made an encouraging fist. "We'll, we're pretty tough shallirs ourselves!" - and he grinned. But...but...while of course a Grim-Faced Bounty Hunter like himself should naturally be a Lone Wolf and ready to face the odds alone...and of course this fellow couldn't possibly be a real threat to an Elite Veteran like him....well, there was dear Tamina to consider. She'd be mixed up in the fray, and she might get hurt before he could finish the man off. Whereas "Blondie" was going to come to this morning meeting, and judging by what he'd done back at the warehouse, a little help from him couldn't hurt. Even if it meant sharing the bounty. And who knew? Maybe he didn't care for the money - he wasn't acting like a professional, more like someone with a personal stake. Might even let someone else take all the reward.

He nodded. "But you've got a good point. Let's go back and rest early..." - hmm, how can I get some more petting in? - "and get out to the meeting place early, and find us some good spots to hide for an ambush. And kick some righteous heinie!"
Last edited by Alberich on April 19th, 2012, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose's heart beat faster as she noticed Argus looking at the cheap-and-nasty inns they were passing. Was the man finally getting the message? Maybe the guest chambers at the temple would be full, and they'd have to ... No, stop thinking like that. You're just tired from the traveling, that's why your pulse is up. Really. (Of course, Argus might have noticed that she was giving the places almost exactly the same look that he was.)

Either way, to her immense relief, the object of their pursuit was coming into view ... along with Harker. For a moment Rose almost felt guilty about interrupting; in some bizarre way, it was looking like Desiree and Harker had discovered in each other an unexpected soulmate. Of course, the guilt passed as she realized what Harker was sketching, but it was still a strangely touching scene.

She and Argus pulled up alongside the priestess. "We were worried about you," she said gently. "Is everything all right?" The more -- penetrating conversation could come later.

--------------

[OOC: Gonna put a couple of words in Tim's mouth here to simplify some things, but the meat of this exchange is up to you, A. /OOC:]

Keyes caught up with Tim and cleared his throat. "Tir? Might I habe a word wit you?" A brief, puzzled exchange later, he continued. "You're one ob de one trabeling wit dat pretty nun, right? I got tometing here dat te might be intereted in."

Tim eyed the bag, unsure what it signified, although Rose or Argus could have told him. "What is that?"

Keyes deposited the bag on the ground with a thump. "Dit belong to -- de man you're looking por," he said. "It wat hid trabeling bag dat he lept on my boat. I don't know where he went, and prankly, I don't really care. Dat guy wat a real pain in de att. Anyway, when you tee him, gibe him dit, and tell Titer Rote tank for the toy te bought me. It came in handy."

Under normal circumstances Mr. Stagpoole would have been most upset with this connection being made, but Keyes' boss had made it very clear that circumstances were hardly normal any more. He passed the bag to Tim, his conscience clear; if questioned, he could say he was just trying to get the man's possessions back to him, and if this other party had -- other uses for it that Blaise wouldn't like, well, screw him and the horse he rode in on.

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim had sorted out thicker dialects than this. Rural Veracians didn't travel very much, and their local accents could be tough. He really wanted to question the stranger on Blaise - but decided against. This dialogue suggested that this fellow didn't know Rose and Blaise were enemies (Tim didn't catch the undertones). He might feel a sense of duty to his passenger, and take back the bag full of clues. No, the thing to do was to thank him kindly, get away from him, and get the back safe back to Rose.

"Thank you kindly, sir. I'll be sure to tell her all you said."

"Yettir." They went their several ways.

That done, Tim began to feel worried. He had something to guard now, something important to the mission. Before he hadn't reflected on Rose's words: "Being on your own could make you a target, and all we need is for another person to get kidnapped for ransom or mugged or just killed for the hell of it." Nor on the fact that she'd said those words right before sending him off on his own...

He gripped the bag in his left hand, keeping the right free for his sword, and looked around. No danger right at the moment. "Go to the airship" was just a child's "go and play" - job one was getting this bag somewhere safe, be it the inn, the airship, or Rose herself. Whichever was closest and easiest to find, that was where he'd go.

[OOC: Anyone want to write an adventurous encounter for Tim? He might be in some serious danger here. He's alone on mean streets with a MacGuffin in hand.]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"It'd be like giving up, and I don't think you really want to do that. Too much left unresolved, you know?"
Desiree stroked Harker's head silently. He sighed in response. "Well, it's your call. Lemme know what you think. But I figure the best way to get back at those jackasses that did that to you... is to become even stronger for it." He pulled out some paper and a pencil. "Now, while we're waiting, I'm gonna make a sketch of that little free show over there." He winked up at Desiree. "Feel free to pose for me later." That said, Harker set to work.

I give Harker a squeeze, careful not to disrupt his drawing. "I know it's giving up," I tell him softly, "but I'm not strong. I'm weak. I... I just want to feel safe again. Out here, I'm scared all the time. And... it's not like I'm not justified. I went with a guy I like to meet his family. It wasn't supposed to end with everyone dead. With Eli..." I close my eyes, trying not to remember what he did.

"Eli was the one good thing about this stupid trip, and now..." I shake my head. Now he's changed. I wipe my eyes. I'm probably all puffy from crying. I must look like a mess. I sit back and see Rose and Argus approaching. I'm glad it's just the two of them. I turn my head towards them and give them both a tired smile.

"We were worried about you," Rose said gently. "Is everything all right?"

"Yes, sorry," I say softly. "I just... I'm not cut out for all this death. So I decided to walk home." Fresh tears gather in my eyes and run down my face. "I couldn't even find my way out of this stupid square." I feel like such an idiot. I couldn't even make it an hour on my own without getting hopelessly lost.

"... I should never have left home in the first place," I say bitterly. Not that I had much of a choice. Gods, what was I thinking? What did seeing where Kenny died matter? It was just another thing to cry over. "I'm such an idiot."

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose didn't say anything in response to Desiree's self-denunciation. Instead, she simply moved Harker out of the way (taking care neither to disrupt his sketching, nor to look at his sketches -- he'd been helpful enough to have earned that degree of "professional courtesy") and enveloped the other woman in a quiet hug that lasted for some time.

She became aware that Argus was looking at the two of them, nodding gravely. More unexpectedly, here came Tim, carrying a large bag that she thought she'd seen before, although she couldn't place where. Would he be able to respond to a telepathic message? She didn't know, and this might not be the time to find out. Well, Argus could. <"What's that thing that Tim has?"> she thought at him; if he didn't know, he'd be in a better position to inquire.