Getsemiel, part 2

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Re: Getsemiel, part 2

Post by Drannin »

Argus was nursing his drink slowly. Alcohol was something he was wary of, these days, though he didn't want to simply cower from it for the rest of his life. Besides, he wanted to keep a clear head.

The soup was delicious, no two ways about it, and... was Harker slipping something into Tim's drink while he was distracted. It was over in a flash... maybe it was just his imagination?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The soup was every bit as good as it looked, and it was time for the main course. Sister Rose's eyes lit up with pleasure as she perused the list of seafood dishes. "Oh look!" she enthused to Argus. "Oysters Rochfeliel, for two! Would you be willing to share with me? The seafood in a port city must be just divine, don't you think?"

It wasn't lost on her, either, that oysters had a reputation as an aphrodisiac.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Works for me," Argus nodded, trying to ignore Harker's aggressive affirmative urging.

...Seriously, this was eerie. How did Harker just keep appearing and disappearing like that? He should be employed as a spy...

Never mind. There were far more interesting things to consider at the moment.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim grinned at Rose's toast. He'd never get an apology out of her, that was too much entirely to ask. But if she could just see how much a man like that meant to someone like him - what could be the harm in explaining? He was about to launch into a long talk about men like Fred, and how Orthodoxy was right for them, when Desiree spoke - in a friendly tone too.

"So, Brother Tim," said Desiree, smiling "I've been meaning to ask you about something. There are so many branches of the Luminosan church, each with a different interpretation of Luminosa's views on priestly relationships. Rose and Brad have helped me understand their sects, but I'm still unclear on your Orthodox view of the subject."

The conversation took a couple of false starts, but shortly Tim understood what kind of "relationships" she was talking about. And that had been on his mind since his aborted fight with Eli, anyway. Usually he was a little shy on theological topics -- he was no Church Advocate, and the upper ranks reserved a great deal to themselves -- but just right now he wasn't feeling shy. How good of her to want to know!

"Ah, oh, that! It goes back to the days of the kings, don't you see? Oh, you don't. Before the Elven Captivity, we, well, we were ruled by kings. And nobles. That sort of people. Long books of scripture about them and their wars. We even study them for the military.

"Anyway, these kings, they ruled for themselves. They'd take your sons to raise an army, and go attack their neighbors to grab some land. They'd take your daughters for their concubines, and if you resisted, they'd kill you. Or fix you up so you'd die. Dreadful one like that. They didn't get married to anyone except their own kind, when they were hoping to get huge...tracts of land!" (Now why did he want to say it that way?) "Prophets had warned against having kings. The people didn't listen. Terrible time. Tyranny. Terrible tyranny time, sort of thing. Not good for you, or me, or Fred. They'd've taken his cheese without paying, for sure. Worst thing, they were the ones led us into captivity. Elven captivity. Took us all for slaves, playthings, more concubines, have children, kill their own now I'm told. Long captivity. Lord Luminosita led us out. One of the Five Gratitudes..."

He was being prompted to answer the actual question.

"...getting there, getting there. So anyway, we get out of the Captivity, and decide, hey, let's listen to the prophets now. No king. Lord Luminosita himself is the sovereign. But we priests, we Orthodox, we administer the kingdom. Day to day run it for him, like that.

"So then there's the question -- how? I mean - how do you stop the priests from turning into kings? Didn't think we thought of that? Oh, we did all right. Thought long and hard. Long and hard. Yeah. And this was the long and hard thing. The kings did what they did because they treated the kingdom like their property, family property. A marriage settlement didn't go right, they started a war. Wife runs off with someone? Start a war, get her back. Children can't agree who's the next king? Civil war. Cheesemaker's daughter looks attractive? Take her. Want a pretty princess? Give away land and people, even to the heathens. Maybe 'swhy they gave us all to the elves."

Once again, he was being prompted to answer the question.

"Okay, okay...so we decided, no families for priests. That's the solution. So what we do is, when we join the priesthood, we drop our family names. Except if we're in the military, keep it for that. And we can't get married at all. No marriage. No children. No concubines. None of it! Keeps the kingdom free.

"The small sects, we let them, why? I think, it's because they don't have the kingdom in hand. Sects on that scale, doesn't matter, sects with a few hundred people? Doesn't matter. But for us -- it's got to be none. None with no one."

The last part, and even some of what went before, was his own speculation. But it made solid sense to him, much more than the scripture passages that got cited for priestly celibacy, which he couldn't remember just now anyway.

He'd forgotten the question. "Did I answer you?" He was vaguely aware he was getting strange looks but he wasn't sure why.

[OOC: Did Tim but know it, there were precedents for this kind of thing, in distant times and places.]

[OOC: Will be away a few hours maybe but will be back tonight, and hope I can check in often over the weekend. Me, I'm enjoying this.]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"The small sects, we let them, why? I think, it's because they don't have the kingdom in hand. Sects on that scale, doesn't matter, sects with a few hundred people? Doesn't matter. But for us -- it's got to be none. None with no one."
He'd forgotten the question. "Did I answer you?" He was vaguely aware he was getting strange looks but he wasn't sure why.

"Yes," I reply softly. "You did."

That actually made a fair amount of sense. I always thought it was some stupid thing about celebacy, like you were suppose to sacrafice happiness for the god or something awful like that. This whole no family concept is still pretty awful, but at least it is also stems from a logical (if irrational) fear of tyranny.

I think Harker may have over done it a bit. It's probably good that I don't particularly think sleeping with Tim would be a good idea - I'm not sure he could manage if I tried.

Argus and Rose, on the other hand... I think they'll be just fine.

Now... the real question is if Tim will be sober enough to walk me back to the temple.

-- Desiree

Edit: OOC: Did I kill the conversation? Everyone went quiet suddenly.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: Is Desiree actually doing anything to convince Tim to walk her back to the temple? I am eager to see her cunning, subtle ways at work.]

[OOC: No, you didn't kill anything; it just took me a while to get back to a computer.]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Alberich wrote:[OOC: Is Desiree actually doing anything to convince Tim to walk her back to the temple? I am eager to see her cunning, subtle ways at work.]

[OOC: No, you didn't kill anything; it just took me a while to get back to a computer.]
OOC: Not yet. She won't until Rose and Argus are safely ensconced in a room. Although Desiree might suggest a trip to the Ladies Room with Rose to make sure that Rose is on the same page (and possibly provide her with some assistance).
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Real concern crossed Sister Rose's face. Had Tim had ... more than he really should? (From several points of view.)

A quick, unspoken, body-language-only communication passed between her and Desiree. You'll take care of him, right? Her sense of empathy was giving her the answer she wanted ... so back to matters at hand.

Argus' hand, specifically, which she reached over to squeeze, immediately after gently feeding him an oyster. "I'm really enjoying this," she said. "It's one of those evenings that you just want never to end."

There. Would the glance at the stairwell suffice?

[OOC: Went out for dinner, just back, so picking up where things left off ... but I also think we may be getting close to a "fade to black" moment. Not all questions should be answered!]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"I'm really enjoying this," said Rose. "It's one of those evenings that you just want never to end."

Tim grinned, misunderstanding. "You like talking about theology? 'course...you Reformists are really into it...like to study the scriptures and the commentaries more than most of us. Why don't you take a turn? 'n' tell us about how your marriage ceremonies are different from ours. Might be seeing one soon, eh? Like to know why it is the way it is!

"I think it's got to be all right...I mean, maybe not for everyone...but it's got to be. You keep the strictures. You know the rules. Smaller flock but you keep 'em on the right path. Do you make 'em feel how serious it all is? So important to feel it, not just think it, yeah? Hwwlp!!! Whmp mm bmg imbea?"

[OOC: Edited to fit Drannin's next post]
Last edited by Alberich on April 20th, 2012, 8:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus didn't pay any attention to Tim, instead focused on Rose. Peripherally, he noticed an annoyed Harker and forcefully pour something down his throat, while Desiree moved to pull him away from the table. They'd take care of things, he knew. Instead, he locked eyes with Rose.

"...It doesn't have to end if you don't want it to, Rose," he said quietly, putting as much meaning into it as he could. Harker and Desiree paused, watching the exchange carefully. Tim snored, whatever Harker had used having succeeded at knocking him out cold.