Goriel and beyond

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Goriel and beyond

Post by Drusia »

"Geteroi, they are like...girls. Are girls. Girls you use, or share with guests, or trade with hosts. Not like common girls in those houses you pay for. You understand? Might be distant cousins of the chief, not his daughters and nieces.

"Having geteroi is good for status. More so if she has skills. Sharing geteroi is a kind of hospitality. Better to establish early if your young ladies are or aren't, and your young men do or don't indulge. This men will watch for. To have them, this gives you status. But to have them and not share with gracious hosts, this is rude. To return them damaged, this is dishonor and grave insult, so they are safe if the host is strong."

Well... shit. That actually sounds like something where my skills would be useful. Huh. Just one question...

"You said that one is safe if the host is strong," I ask, "But how strong does one need to be? How risky is it being a... Geteroi?"

I turn to Rose and Argus. "Cause... I mean, if it would be useful, I could do that. My mother trained me. It would be nice to actually use my skills for a change." I turn back to Boris. "Assuming that I won't get beaten, kidnapped, or killed."

-- Desiree
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim's outrage spoke before he could think - "No!" Too many faces turned to him, Desiree's included. "It's unthinkable to send you off alone with these..." Savages? Smart move, Tim, Father Boris is one of them. "...with them..." -- he couldn't find words -- "Doing what they like...!"

Not cruelly, but firmly, Father Boris cut him off. "Close the mouth, baby Brother." Tim went bright red but obeyed. Turning back to Desiree, Boris answered her question.

"The offer you got was from Clan Duravsky. They're strongest of the clans. A getera shared to them is about as safe as anyone can be. They'd lose honor if you got a scratch on you. If you didn't behave, your clan here" -- he gestured to Argus and the others -- "they'd lose honor, and they'd be expected to give you discipline. Duravsky has no open enemies, so none of them is likely to hurt you to hurt them. Our Prime Minister is very good for revenge. In that he is our prime artist.

"Any other clan it's much the same. If you're shared to them, it's a point of honor that you come back unharmed. I wouldn't say to share you with Zukalin! But a strong clan like Duravksy or Yurkashev, or even Gibazov - your body, at least, it is safe." He didn't comment on the state of her soul. His was not a missionary's mission, and keeping his own tiny flock - all rams and no ewes, in the midst of all this pasture - keeping them in order was quite enough for anyone.

Tim's breath shuddered a little as he held his peace. This time no face turned his way. No doubt he'd quickly be shown that he was in the wrong. But the thought of her in these heathen brutes' power, relying on their sense of honor -- how horribly they abused that word! -- to keep safe, it burned at him. They'd split up back in Lorrel, so he hadn't managed to protect her at all there, either. Hadn't even caught her when she fell on the airship. He very much wanted to do better at that. Is it something else, "baby Brother"? No - he knew she freely chose to...to live that way, at least with her friends, and he'd reconciled himself to her nature not being human...Give it up, lad, you mayn't, and everyone else may, if she likes them. And maybe she'll like these fellows just fine. Stop - that - thought!
Last edited by Alberich on May 15th, 2012, 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus was clearly troubled. "Desiree, are you really suggesting...?" Of course she is, old man. Desiree's faith and taboos are different from your own. She's effectively a temple prostitute, and this is a way she could be of help. Hell, if she could get some information from the men while their guard was down, she could be an incredible source of information, and it's not like she's uncomfortable with the thought. Nor is she genuinely yours to give away. It would be her decision.

Argus cleared his throat. "Desiree..." he said slowly. "Understand that what you're suggesting troubles me on a very deep level. It doesn't feel right to me. But I know that your ways are different from what I'm used to, and... there are certain benefits to this. In the end, appearances aside, this would be your decision. How do you want me to present you to the nobles of Goriel? Personal concubine or geteroi?"
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

I consider reminding Tim that he has no hold over my actions, but Boris does it for me, and rather bluntly. Well and good - if Tim wanted a say on what I do or do not do with my body, he should have made his desires felt before now.

"The offer you got was from Clan Duravsky. They're strongest of the clans. A getera shared to them is about as safe as anyone can be. They'd lose honor if you got a scratch on you. If you didn't behave, your clan here" -- he gestured to Argus and the others -- "they'd lose honor, and they'd be expected to give you discipline. Duravsky has no open enemies, so none of them is likely to hurt you to hurt them."

"I understand," I reply. "My mother has traveled. She knows of... ways besides ours. She trained me and others. We mostly used the training for play - pretend - but... I know the forms well enough." I remember kneeling at Kenny's feet, wearing a collar and a leash, playing at being his slave. I played the part well, but he'd always break down laughing. I wonder if he and Rose ever played that game.

"Desiree, are you really suggesting...?" Argus cleared his throat. "Desiree..." he said slowly. "Understand that what you're suggesting troubles me on a very deep level. It doesn't feel right to me. But I know that your ways are different from what I'm used to, and... there are certain benefits to this. In the end, appearances aside, this would be your decision. How do you want me to present you to the nobles of Goriel? Personal concubine or geteroi?"

I kneel, abeyante, sitting upon my heels and clasping my hands before me. I keep my eyes lowered, submissive and modest, while keeping the lines of my posture perfect.

"As a geteroi, Master," I reply, an artful quaver of fear in my voice, "If it... please you." I breathe a whisper of Anilis' divine energy into my voice, not enough to influence, just the tiniest of accents to make me seem more vulnerable - and delectable - than I already am.

"I promise you, Master," I add with soft conviction, "I shall behave with utmost decorum and make your clan proud." Shyly, I raise my eyes - although not my head - and timidly meet his gaze through a haze of eyelashes and my own hair.

I supress a smile - if every man in the room isn't currently wondering if the room just got ten degrees hotter and their pants got two sizes smaller, then I'm a Peregin's housepet.

-- Desiree
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Father Boris didn't smile, or at least not visibly behind those whiskers, but he did nod. "I think you have nothing to learn. Except..." - he held up a finger - "it's one getera" - two fingers - "two geteroi."

Tim was looking down, not at her, his color not back to normal yet. He was quite helpless to protect her, and luckily for him, didn't know how she read his sentiments. As it was, it was torture enough. To jump, to run, to scream, to smash his head against the wall, to attack the infidels right now and go down to their blades - all seemed sweeter than sitting where he was, saying nothing. He sat there anyway. Saying nothing.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Still on the road, still with limited connectivity until tomorrow, and you seem to be doing just fine without me. :mrgreen: So just a quick couple of things:]

Sister Rose didn't think of herself as particularly prudish (particularly after last night), and indeed, was aware that certain members of the Church might consider her unacceptably wanton. Still, the way this conversation was unfolding was ... disturbing. She was pretty sure (correctly) that she was blushing as she addressed Father Boris.

"I think -- I think it would be good for us to stay here at the mission tonight, while we start to get better oriented to the -- ways of this place. We also should get briefed on developments with the man we're looking for. Do you have anything more on him?" That might move the conversation into more comfortable areas. Or it might not. I'm sorry, Desiree, but I'm not yet sure exactly what I'm sorry for...

Boris nodded. "We have lodging for you." He gave Desiree an ... ambivalent look. "All of you. As for the man you seek, the news is less good. This city, with its surrounding villages and mines, is nearly half as large as Emerylon. There is a great deal of room for a man trying to avoid pursuit to get lost in. I'm sorry, but we have nothing."

---------

A tall, red-haired woman, one who was dressed as a man, might have had more to say on that subject, but the time for that had not come yet.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Father Boris didn't smile, or at least not visibly behind those whiskers, but he did nod. "I think you have nothing to learn. Except..." - he held up a finger - "it's one getera" - two fingers - "two geteroi."

I pretend to shiver. "Getera," I repeat, "Yes, my Lord, I am sorry. I will not make that mistake again."

I kneel there, abeyante, waiting for Argus - my 'master' - to acknowledge my request. After all, Rose's responce really didn't address my request, even if she was clearly attempting to change the subject. Normally I'd let her do so, but if I'm going to do this, I should get into the habit of waiting to be acknowledge by the male authority figure in the room.

I keep repressing that smile. This is going to be fun! Scary, maybe, and probably difficult, but... fun. And I finally get to do something useful! Maybe even... covertcy! ... not that I know what secrets I might need to recover, but... it's a nice thought.

"As for the man you seek, the news is less good. This city, with its surrounding villages and mines, is nearly half as large as Emerylon. There is a great deal of room for a man trying to avoid pursuit to get lost in. I'm sorry, but we have nothing."

I blink. That... certainly sounds like just the sort of information I might be able to learn in my position as a Getera. I just need to find someone who knows where Blaize went. Then inform Rose and Argus so they can go deal with him. That's... well, that's perfect! It makes me useful, but keeps me away from the psycho with the death magic.

Finding that someone is easier said than done, of course, but... it's a start. A goal.

-- Desiree
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Boris thought a moment further, and spoke both to Rose and Argus. "There are two invitations waiting for you. If you want to sleep here tonight, as I said, we have accomodations. It will be easy to tell Pyotr that yes, you wish to exchange geteroi. It is best to talk up her skills, like singing or dancing, when you tell him you are agreeable - then naturally he will want time to carry back this report, to select the right girl for exchange. Plus say she needs to rest after a tiring journey. That should give at least tonight for delay. This is not a hasty country.

"For Andrei, he has invited you to feast with his master. It is not hard to beg off when you arrived just tonight, but I would not put him off more than a day. To refuse outright I think unwise - if you need to avoid it we can put them off further later, but to simply say no is an affront. I can speak to Andrei if you will speak to Pyotr." -- and here he was addressing Argus alone. "If you like, we can go to them now, and show your friends to their quarters. Then talk later of anything else.

"Oh" - and here he must have been smiling, though it couldn't be seen - "And I think your getera is waiting for permission to stand."
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli watched Desiree's display out the corner of his eye with an expression that meandered between anger, hurt and contempt. He forced himself to keep his gaze on the meaningless work of art in front of him, his ears picking up everything that was said.

"Couldn't wait, could you?" He murmured under his breath, unaware he was even saying it.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Er..." Argus blinked, glancing back at Desiree. "Ah. Very well, I suppose I should stay in character while in Goriel." A moment later, his intimidating aspect was back. "Rise," he intoned, gesturing at the faux- getera. "You may have some use here, woman." Obediently, Desiree rose to her feet.

Argus considered and turned back to Boris. "I concur with Rose. It would be better to stay here for the night and get the lay of the land better, and the local politics. Afterwards..." he smiled faintly. "I suppose we should start accepting dinner invitations."